Jump to content

John McGinn


PompeyVillan
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, lexicon said:

20mil is about his value - but we're obviously going to ask for significantly more. 

26 year old, four years left on his contract, international who plays most games for his PL club is only worth 20m?  Even without the premium we would want, he's worth a lot more than 20m.  If he was playing for another PL team and we were after him do you think his price would only be 20m.  Even looking at comparable in the PL you wouldnt get a player like him for 20m these days or anywhere close.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I want to see this squad develop together, so many are still to hit their peak and we know that Smith improves players. There’s still more to come from McGinn, I’m sure of it. The competition will mean he doesn’t have to play every minute, but he’ll want to and that will drive his performances up. 
 

I doubt that Liverpool would want to spend £50m on him anyway, and for anything less then there’s no chance. He’s our big bummed meatball!

There is more to come from him if played as an 8 or 10 not as a 6 which is what they currently play him as.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@sidcow @nick76 - I respect your opinions, guys, but I just don't agree - I don't think he's that important and I think the midfield would be stronger with Sanson in it rather than him. For me, his place in the starting XI is the obvious area of upgrade because I don't think he's as good as the people around him. If he can get some level of consistency where he plays like he did in his first season with us, then I'd be on board, but I think it's too much for him. Ideally, I'd like him to be a bench option, and I wouldn't really want to sell him for say 20m as he's clearly a popular squad member and good guy to have in the dressing room, but I definitely would for 30m, as I think we could get a much better player for that amount.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
11 minutes ago, lexicon said:

@sidcow @nick76 - I respect your opinions, guys, but I just don't agree - I don't think he's that important and I think the midfield would be stronger with Sanson in it rather than him. For me, his place in the starting XI is the obvious area of upgrade because I don't think he's as good as the people around him. If he can get some level of consistency where he plays like he did in his first season with us, then I'd be on board, but I think it's too much for him. Ideally, I'd like him to be a bench option, and I wouldn't really want to sell him for say 20m as he's clearly a popular squad member and good guy to have in the dressing room, but I definitely would for 30m, as I think we could get a much better player for that amount.

£20m gets you nothing for a PL player these days.  Let alone on with a reputation or being a good one.   He's worth way way more than £20m.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

@sidcow @nick76 - I respect your opinions, guys, but I just don't agree - I don't think he's that important and I think the midfield would be stronger with Sanson in it rather than him. For me, his place in the starting XI is the obvious area of upgrade because I don't think he's as good as the people around him. If he can get some level of consistency where he plays like he did in his first season with us, then I'd be on board, but I think it's too much for him. Ideally, I'd like him to be a bench option, and I wouldn't really want to sell him for say 20m as he's clearly a popular squad member and good guy to have in the dressing room, but I definitely would for 30m, as I think we could get a much better player for that amount.

Mate, I think you're bonkers.  I dont disagree that I'd love him as a bench option hence we have a better player and yes we could get better but forget about your opinion and think of him as a player.  A player like that in todays markets is worth much more than 20m and even more than 30m.  This is not whether you like the player or not, this is market value.  Ferguson wanted Man U to buy him 2 years ago, it seems like Liverpool are interested this summer maybe not enough to bid but there seems to be a like of him.  That in itself doesnt mean much but a 26 year old main stay in a PL team goes for so much more than 20m these days and more than 30m.  You maybe right about Sanson or anybody else but it's not about that, its about what his market value is and it cant be lower just because you think he's a weak spot of our team.  I think too that maybe areas of upgrading include that midfield area but that doesnt decrease their value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Mate, I think you're bonkers.  I dont disagree that I'd love him as a bench option hence we have a better player and yes we could get better but forget about your opinion and think of him as a player.  A player like that in todays markets is worth much more than 20m and even more than 30m.  This is not whether you like the player or not, this is market value.  Ferguson wanted Man U to buy him 2 years ago, it seems like Liverpool are interested this summer maybe not enough to bid but there seems to be a like of him.  That in itself doesnt mean much but a 26 year old main stay in a PL team goes for so much more than 20m these days and more than 30m.  You maybe right about Sanson or anybody else but it's not about that, its about what his market value is and it cant be lower just because you think he's a weak spot of our team.  I think too that maybe areas of upgrading include that midfield area but that doesnt decrease their value.

I asked a couple of footballing fans outside this forum(one of them being a Scotland fan too). They all pretty much think 25-30m is a fair price for him and we'd be mad to refuse to sell at anything more than 40m(prices that even some people here would still refuse to sell him at) and I'm inclined to agree with them. I feel like we're getting blinded by our like for John Mcginn and what he's done for our club in the past several years that we're overvaluing him. 

I like John Mcginn as a player. But he's not worth much more than 30m if at all.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I asked a couple of footballing fans outside this forum(one of them being a Scotland fan too). They all pretty much think 25-30m is a fair price for him and we'd be mad to refuse to sell at anything more than 40m(prices that even some people here would still refuse to sell him at) and I'm inclined to agree with them. I feel like we're getting blinded by our like for John Mcginn and what he's done for our club in the past several years that we're overvaluing him. 

I like John Mcginn as a player. But he's not worth much more than 30m if at all.

1) when have fans been the good marker for judging players values

2) An established international, playing most PL games, aged 26, admired by some big teams is going to attract a bigger fee that 25-30m.  

This isnt about my good or bad feelings for McGinn, it's just about market value for a midfielder with his stature.

I also dont understand what fair value is, if players keep being sold for premiums like we would would 40m for him but he's only worth 25-30m then what is his worth.  If Burnley had him would they only sell to somebody else for 25-30m or would they be wanting 40m as well.  At what point does the 40m become value of him that the perceived value of 25-30m that a player like him would never sell for.  I cant go into a car showroom and say to a Ferrari dealer, I know your car is £100k but fair value £75k.  I only get the car for £100k or I walk out empty handed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, sidcow said:

£20m gets you nothing for a PL player these days.  Let alone on with a reputation or being a good one.   He's worth way way more than £20m.

But McGinn hasn't proved himself to be a good PL player yet. I think he's probably had more bad games than good games. I'll admit that some of those games were out of his control - issue with injuries, covid etc. but there were also times where he just simply wasn't fit and that was down to him. 

@nick76 being an international loses a lot of meaning when we're talking about the Scottish national team. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Visiting Supporter
26 minutes ago, lexicon said:

being an international loses a lot of meaning when we're talking about the Scottish national team. 

Wash your mouth out with soap and water Lexicon.....lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is different to Jack I think....just one random link to him in the express or wherever so nothing to worry about.

That said if there's one big player we could sell in next 2 years that shouldn't weaken us too much it would probably be McGinn.

Feels like we've had the best years out of him, dosen't score much anymore and to outsiders his value remains pretty high. If we signed Ward Prowse I'm not convinced he'd even be a regular for us within six months.

Obviously have to keep him if Jack goes.

20m is far too low aswell....not sure why people constantly undervalue our players like valuing El Ghazi at about 7m when he's just hit double figures in premier league!

30m + for McGinn.

Edited by VillaChris
Link to comment
Share on other sites


imagine if faux outrage about Saka was extended to our own players 

McGinn is a decent premier league midfielder ,  I don't think he's Liverpool level , but he's easily good enough for anyone outside the Top 4 

we won't sell him because he's an important part of our plans  , hence why we gave him a bumper new deal 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Stoobs said:

Wash your mouth out with soap and water Lexicon.....lol

Sorry mate, should show the 44th strongest international team the respect it deserves... 😬

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Liverpool are not interested in McGinn. Amount of data and information now available to clubs today they are not fooled by a few highlights and hype.

He is vastly becoming not good enough for us yet alone them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Zatman said:

Media linking McGinn and Jack with moves away, tomorrow will be Emi or Mings

I think we have ruffled some feathers 😂

That's what it is. I'd put counter bids in for the likes of Rashford, Foden, KDB, Mane, Salah, Kane, and the dinosaur mascot from arsenal.

That'll piss em off.

Edited by Sulberto21
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Liverpool are not interested in McGinn. Amount of data and information now available to clubs today they are not fooled by a few highlights and hype.

He is vastly becoming not good enough for us yet alone them

Man Grandmother GIF

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • Visiting Supporter

I have loved watching SJM in the Premiership and I‘m convinced he sees his future as part of a successful Villa side: first promotion, then survival, consolidation, and soon challenging for a top 6 finish.  I love the way Villans embraced him, and adopted the SJM anthem.  He has had his struggles in the last season and a half: serious injury, being asked to return from injury sooner than was good for him, being played out of position, opponents working out some of his tricks, being too reliant on his left peg, being surrounded by midfielders who don’t share his enthusiasm for hard work and a high press. But having also been an avid follower of the comments on this forum,  it’s pretty clear that a sizeable number of those commenting (about 50%?) like McGinn well enough, yet have serious reservations about his future in the side, valuing him more as a squad player at best.  I would love to see Villa competing again at the very top, but wonder if both club and player would now benefit from parting company.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
2 minutes ago, Stockbridgehibby said:

I have loved watching SJM in the Premiership and I‘m convinced he sees his future as part of a successful Villa side: first promotion, then survival, consolidation, and soon challenging for a top 6 finish.  I love the way Villans embraced him, and adopted the SJM anthem.  He has had his struggles in the last season and a half: serious injury, being asked to return from injury sooner than was good for him, being played out of position, opponents working out some of his tricks, being too reliant on his left peg, being surrounded by midfielders who don’t share his enthusiasm for hard work and a high press. But having also been an avid follower of the comments on this forum,  it’s pretty clear that a sizeable number of those commenting (about 50%?) like McGinn well enough, yet have serious reservations about his future in the side, valuing him more as a squad player at best.  I would love to see Villa competing again at the very top, but wonder if both club and player would now benefit from parting company.  

The team need SJM it's not all about being Jack it's about the 11 and for every Jack you need a Super John McGinn!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â