John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 hour ago, MentalM said:

Yet this information is not correct.

He is the 5th most dispossessed person behind Watkins, Grealish, Barkley and El Ghazi.

He is 4th in most bad touches - behind Watkins, Grealish and Traore.

Yes, he plays further down so we are more exposed when he does the errors. However I believe much of the decisions are also what management wants from him.

He is the second in dribbling behind Grealish, second behind Grealish in keypasses

And I respectfully disagree.

I'm not discussing overall, i'm highlighting our poor form of late...

Villa were desperate for a player to galvanise us in the absence of Grealish, a player to drive us from midfield. What do we get, teams playing through us every game far too easily.

McGinn has been very poor of late and in some of those games he was consistently giving the ball away on average six times; read through this very thread over the course of the last few months where I and others have highlighted this. Six times in specific matches, it cost us points!

Of course the figures are more favorable to McGinn overall but when we needed him he failed.

Last few matches he has been better but I'm sorry once decent game in ten doesn't warrant a starting place for me.

Central midfield should be our number one priority for improvement. McGinn's athleticism or lack of it really bothers me, he flounders consistently and attempts to win a foul because he doesn't have the speed and agility. Eze bested him in the match against Palace, McGinn tires too often.

17 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

And I respectfully disagree.

I'm not discussing overall, i'm highlighting our poor form of late...

Villa were desperate for a player to galvanise us in the absence of Grealish, a player to drive us from midfield. What do we get, teams playing through us every game far too easily.

McGinn has been very poor of late and in some of those games he was consistently giving the ball away on average six times; read through this very thread over the course of the last few months where I and others have highlighted this. Six times in specific matches, it cost us points!

Of course the figures are more favorable to McGinn overall but when we needed him he failed.

Last few matches he has been better but I'm sorry once decent game in ten doesn't warrant a starting place for me.

Central midfield should be our number one priority for improvement. McGinn's athleticism or lack of it really bothers me, he flounders consistently and attempts to win a foul because he doesn't have the speed and agility. Eze bested him in the match against Palace, McGinn tires too often.

I 100% see where you are coming from. However I believe its a collective collapse related to Covid.

Personally see more issues in the CDM and CAM position than Mcginn (would still like to see him being tried in the AM position). 

And I could not agree more on McGinn tiring too much, but I also believe it is because he plays too much... Could be jadedness we see

Felt that he was meh at best. He had some real moments of quality including some good presses but was very poor when tracking his man. And was non-existent defensively for the vast majority of the game. Excluding 2 or 3 highlight presses. 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

the last 5 games he has been getting a little better every game

Yeah, he's been much improved over the last few games, been slowly building from 45/60 good mins to a near 90 today.

• Like 1

Thought he was sloppy at the start when we actually had the ball a bit. His passing and decision making in possession is still poor for me but the pace picked up, we put a high press on and it suited his high energy running. At his best without the ball, good for the big games. 

22 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

the last 5 games he has been getting a little better every game

He's going to f*ck it up in the summer with Kegs, Haggis and Irn Bru ain't he?

Another half a season till he's fit again. lol

Â