John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Lets be honest. He’s been poor for well over a year. Great attitude, says all the right things, but since that injury he’s looked well off it and a big reason we have been so poor in midfield. He’s not the only one either. One of Smith’s lieutenants though, so never in danger of coming out the side.

I hope can have a good Euros, get a decent pre season in and come back the player we enjoyed so much befofe.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Not good enough. One decent game every 15 isn't the way forward. He needs to be replaced. 

Thing is I can see McGinn gave the ball away six times today, he seems to average that every game.

Do Villa not have a data analyst to flag this because quite clearly the management seem to think it's acceptable.

At this level we cannot continue to give the ball away so cheaply as teams will hurt us and they are doing it. Hound and harass our midfield and they will easily give the ball away, it's happening all the time.

• Like 2

It’s hard to be down on McGinn, he’s a loveable fella and he was outstanding in the championship. He’s had his moments in the PL but they’re few and far between now. 

If we really want to push on then he needs to be replaced. I’m not saying sell him, but find better to start ahead of him.

Problem with him in the 10 role, he can't handle drilled passes through the lines into him, doesn't have the touch for it. And we don't keep possession with him in the team because he's not great at it. He doesn't seem to understand sometimes you can just chill and keep the ball for a bit. Don't always have to be in a hurry looking for that killer ball or trying to beat players.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Not feeling the anti-McGinn sentiment. 

Thing is it isn't new, I had my doubts the moment we were promoted.

He was hot and cold in the Championship.

Somebody said his one game in fifteen shouldn't guarantee him a place, neither is averaging giving the ball away six times per game.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

16 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Problem with him in the 10 role, he can't handle drilled passes through the lines into him, doesn't have the touch for it. And we don't keep possession with him in the team because he's not great at it. He doesn't seem to understand sometimes you can just chill and keep the ball for a bit. Don't always have to be in a hurry looking for that killer ball or trying to beat players.

Yep, I’ve seen people saying he should be playing higher as he has for Scotland and been scoring, but I’ve always thought he’s better bursting from deep. Like you say doesn’t have the skill set to play as a 10. 
Has played his part in getting us back up, into the top half of the prem, but if we want to kick on we need better.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Thing is it isn't new, I had my doubts the moment we were promoted.

He was hot and cold in the Championship.

Somebody said his one game in fifteen shouldn't guarantee him a place, neither is averaging giving the ball away six times per game.

But without Jack we are looking at this guy to lead us and I think it's a very high bar. 

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Not feeling the anti-McGinn sentiment. 

We all love McGinn, we are just trying to see beyond sentiment.

He shouldn't just be guaranteed a starting place because of his status.

Edit: Same for Mings

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s our best central midfielder though. 

I respectfully disagree. I'd say McGinn is probably 3rd behind Luiz and Nakamba. However all our midfielders are like our wingers in that they all have major flaws. I'd like us to.improve on them all over the next two/three seasons. Hopefully.

• Like 1

@Delphinho123

He really isn't, I can name three or four other Villa midfielders who don't give the ball away as much as he.

McGinn is killing us with this, invites pressure and inevitably we crack and concede. Six times on average he gives the ball away EVERY game, he's slow and as a result we are lightweight in the middle.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang
  • Like 1

Been saying it over the last few weeks, good player when we don't have the ball. If we want to become a side who are challenging for top 8-6 places then we need more players who are good with the ball. He can still be a good squad player but shouldn't be starting every game next season IMO.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Which one of our central midfielders is better than McGinn then? 

Nakamba...?!? 😂

McGinn gave the ball away at least six times today...

Nakamba and Luiz didn't.

In any PL game as a midfielder you just cannot be excused for this yet McGinn does it upon average SIX times EVERY game. It's inexcusable.

Â