John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Can whoever has the real John McGinn please hand him back?

I’d say he’s been a shadow of his former self since the restart but given that he’s three times the size he was then I’m not sure that works.

And also, can well see him leaving in the summer to join Celtic, if they can thrash out a deal with us.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

16 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’d say he’s been a shadow of his former self since the restart but given that he’s three times the size he was then I’m not sure that works.

And also, can well see him leaving in the summer to join Celtic, if they can thrash out a deal with us.

I don't think celtic could afford even a reasonable transfer fee for him tbh.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I don't think celtic could afford even a reasonable transfer fee for him tbh.

I have a bad feeling he might be a bit homesick or something.

I know he’s coming back from injury but he seems very out of sorts.

52 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think a lot of it has to do with the jump in quality from the Championship to the premier league. This isn't to say he might not adapt and that injury + lockdown could have heavily impacted his fitness level, but I think he's been nowhere near his championship standard of performances all season. He scored a few goals early on which have boosted his impact, but save a few games he has mostly been average at best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

To be fair he had quite a nasty injury, had months out and hasn't been able to train as he normally would towards the end of his recovery.

I agree he hasn't been as good this season as we maybe expected, but also he has been injured most of it, and had a tough return to fitness which is probably not helping.

Regardless of this, I still think he gives us something that we have missed since he got injured, which is tenatiousness and energy in midfield, even if his technical side isn't at the fore currently.

I don't think he will ever be a "star" premiership player, but I also reckon his pure work ethic and energy would allow him to play at mid table level, possibly more if he can get his technical side going again.

Just a pity that the season is nearly over and if he is with us again next season, it will likely be in the championship.

If we can keep Mcginn and Luiz next season, add those two to a new quality midfielder, and that midfield 3 would be extremely good for the championship. 

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

To be fair he had quite a nasty injury, had months out and hasn't been able to train as he normally would towards the end of his recovery.

I agree he hasn't been as good this season as we maybe expected, but also he has been injured most of it, and had a tough return to fitness which is probably not helping.

Regardless of this, I still think he gives us something that we have missed since he got injured, which is tenatiousness and energy in midfield, even if his technical side isn't at the fore currently.

I don't think he will ever be a "star" premiership player, but I also reckon his pure work ethic and energy would allow him to play at mid table level, possibly more if he can get his technical side going again.

Just a pity that the season is nearly over and if he is with us again next season, it will likely be in the championship.

If we can keep Mcginn and Luiz next season, add those two to a new quality midfielder, and that midfield 3 would be extremely good for the championship. 

Can’t see luiz staying, would love it but I think he’ll be one of the first to go, perhaps even back to city to then be loaned out to another PL team for a year.....

He’s out of sorts for sure but more than deserves a chance at redemption. We must keep him and bring him back to his best next season. A full preseason and a change to normality will do wonders I’m sure. The lockdown is going to have effected some more than others. 

Not sure if anyone mentioned it but Dean mentioned that he suffered a shin injury before the Chelsea game right before lockdown which left him out for 6 weeks. Apparently didn't train at all during lockdown. So what we're seeing right now is him getting back to match fitness which absolutely makes sense now given his performances. I'm surprised he still has the odd decent game considering he hasn't trained for pretty much 6 months.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not sure if anyone mentioned it but Dean mentioned that he suffered a shin injury before the Chelsea game right before lockdown which left him out for 6 weeks. Apparently didn't train at all during lockdown. So what we're seeing right now is him getting back to match fitness which absolutely makes sense now given his performances. I'm surprised he still has the odd decent game considering he hasn't trained for pretty much 6 months.

This probably explains why he has looked rusty, hopefully he will find his form quickly.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

This probably explains why he has looked rusty, hopefully he will find his form quickly.

Rusty or seized.?

shadow of his former self, at present.

Edited by TRO

I can't believe people are writing him off. 

He played well at the start of the season, showed his mettle and then suffered a long term injury which he's got to come back from without any proper training, and playing in a struggling team.  And playing twice a week. 

Jeez.  Let's see how he does next season (in the unlikely event we stay up) . I still think he's easily got it in him to be a very good PL player and if we're down we know he'll be a brilliant championship player. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Rusty or seized.?

I haven't seen any close ups, but I haven't really noticed this about him chubbying up, he has always been compact, a bit of a unit hasn't he.

Think he has showed some glipses of his bursting runs, his trade mark ass-protecting the ball and his gritting away with the ball. I haven't seen so much of him as we are used to, but I hope it is rustyness, a question of form.

But it may as well be as you and others have pointed out, that he has gained weight, just haven't noticed it.

Nobody can have any criticisms about McGinn looking match rusty, off the pace. I think, though, we are entitled to raise concerns over his weight and conditioning. To me he looks like he has at least a stone of excess weight, and it’s not a particularly encouraging sign that he seems to have ballooned to the size he has. Excess weight obviously leads to more stress on the body. Just seems not very professional, I’m surprised that the club were not on top of this type of thing, monitoring the players closely. 

On 13/07/2020 at 17:55, bannedfromHandV said:

On 13/07/2020 at 18:53, MaVilla said:

He apparently got a second stress fracture in march which would have set him back significantly. 

I don't know why the club are telling us now about the 2nd injury, why not at the start of this run of games? He got a lot of stick, including from me, for coming back unfit and overweight but this 2nd injury makes so much sense now and explains why he has been struggling so much. 

On 13/07/2020 at 17:31, bannedfromHandV said:

Celtic aren’t going to pay the kind of money we’d be expecting for John McGinn. He won’t be going to Celtic in the summer.

12 hours ago, TRO said:

Rusty or seized.?

Get the WD-40 out so.

However if the report on an additional stress fracture is true (no reason to believe it's not) then it's no wonder he's not moving as freely. Having said that he's still 10 times more mobile than Drinkwater and Lansbury and has more ability than Nakamba so for me he still starts.

• Like 1

Started the game well against Manure and improved as the game went on against palace. Good player. Struggled with physicality at the start of the season but started to deal with it before he got injured.

Â