John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I love McGinn, I really do, but unless he provides a response in training, then i would consider dropping him against Newcastle. 

No player is bigger than the team and if you don’t perform, you should run the risk of being dropped.  Otherwise, what message does it send out to the rest of the squad? 

Very much hope though that the last couple of weeks have been a minor blip and we see the usual SJM in two weeks.  

20 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Hard to work out how much of it is just the step up in opposition quality and how much of it is a drop off in his own output.

I think both are influencing his recent performances to be honest.

I noticed yesterday on a couple of occasions he was trying to move past players and getting disposed. Something which probably wouldn’t have happened in the Championship. He needs to be a bit smarter with the ball I think. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I love McGinn, I really do, but unless he provides a response in training, then i would consider dropping him against Newcastle. 

No player is bigger than the team and if you don’t perform, you should run the risk of being dropped.  Otherwise, what message does it send out to the rest of the squad? 

Very much hope though that the last couple of weeks have been a minor blip and we see the usual SJM in two weeks.  

100% - needs to snap out of it and earn his place in the team again. 

It's all dependent on Grealish being back, if he's back then McGinn starts for me.

If Grealish is still out next game I can see the appeal in benching McGinn and changing the midfield up.

Everyone under performed yesterday, but McGinn was especially poor.

Still really hard for me to criticise John.

Dips of form and all that.

However I genuinely think he has the desire and quality to come good.

It is a step up for him, it won't always go smoothly.

However you will notice, when he is poor, WE are poor.

A fact which is even more enhanced when there is no Jack.

John is usually the one who takes the game by the scruff of it's neck, especially in Jacks absence.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

On 11/11/2019 at 14:31, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Still really hard for me to criticise John.

Dips of form and all that.

However I genuinely think he has the desire and quality to come good.

It is a step up for him, it won't always go smoothly.

However you will notice, when he is poor, WE are poor.

A fact which is even more enhanced when there is no Jack.

John is usually the one who takes the game by the scruff of it's neck, especially in Jacks absence.

We have been overly reliant on those 2 (Grealish and McGinn) for quite some time if you ask me. I am hopeful that young Jacob Ramsey can come in and take some of the burden off those 2. I think Ramsey has the talent

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 08:13, sne said:

Could really do with him being rested for Scotland's 2 meaningless international games.

No doubt he'll play 180 minutes...

He's their best player after Robertson so will likely start. They're (and we're) running him into the ground.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

He's their best player after Robertson so will likely start. They're (and we're) running him into the ground.

I don't think he should be feeling ran into the ground for starting the number of premier league games he has, I just don't think his conditioning for this level is up to scratch to be honest.

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I don't think he should be feeling ran into the ground for starting the number of premier league games he has, I just don't think his conditioning for this level is up to scratch to be honest.

That could be it. Or alternatively his conditioning for his style of play isn't up to where it needs to be. Perhaps it's impossible to play like he does for 90 minutes in the PL. He might have to change his style a bit and learn to mix it up. He should be sitting more regardless. He's always way too far forward for a central midfielder.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

5 goals in qualifying for a pretty shit Scotland team is a solid return. Picked up a booking, was hoping he be suspended for next game but doesnt look it :(

Was hoping the same as soon as i saw he got a booking :D 

Â