John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I'm hoping it is tiredness because a few weeks ago McGinn would have been everywhere, today he was poor in possession, poor with his passing and borderline unacceptable with his tracking. The second goal was horrific; there were a few lazy efforts to deal with the attack, but McGinn stood out as just drifting slowly back rather than busting a gut to try and cut out the danger. Spectator today.

I'm a massive fan of McGinn but today was just horrible. Should have been hauled off far before Nakamba who was our best player today. With Grealish out, Hourihane should be straight back in - today's three just don't work well together.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's fairly clear from the post that I'm speculating, hence have a hunch. 

I have more than a hunch that he’s a top professional, as shown by 90% of his performances for us. Even Smith remarked recently that he likes the quiet life away from the pitch. Not all Scots are like Ross MacCormack.

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Think with Jack in the team he is 5 times the player

He misses Jack big time. The link up with between the two of them and also the fact that Grealish will attract a couple of players allowing the other forward thinking players we have more time and space.

I don't think it is tiredness. He played more games in the Championship last year and ran miles and himself into the ground in all of them and still had plenty in the tank at the end of a long season. He has had a dip but will come again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Micah Richards-esque play for their second goal. Completely antithetical to his game to be honest. He had to have been too knackered to even attempt to catch Traore up.

Neil Taylor's fault. McGinn desperately trying to not give him the ball as he knows he'll lose it. He had to and he did.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

Neil Taylor's fault. McGinn desperately trying to not give him the ball as he knows he'll lose it. He had to and he did.

This is so wrong to say on so many levels

Edited by momo

Just now, Tomaszk said:

It was a very poor pass. That one's on McGinn. 

Still he should have tried to do something about Adama. He might as well have just stood still.

McGinn suffering from the "plan" to sprint around as much as you can directly at the ball for the first 30 mins of every match.

He leads the charge and is shot for the rest of the game. Tell Gueye, Kante and Steven Gerrard in his pomp to do that and they'd be knackered as well. It's a silly idea being carried out terribly by all.

We'll go down if that's what the plan is, and it does seem to be that at the moment. 4-3-3 every match, incredibly advanced, sprint as hard as you can in a straight line at the ball. Hope to be 4-0 up by half time.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Doesn't look the same when Jack isn't playing.

Agreed, not been at his best last few games although I do think hes knackered as well which doesn't help. Tried to do too much, few times yesterday could have played simple pass but ended up losing it.

Â