John McGinn

PompeyVillan

2 hours ago, Enda said:

This will be controversial, but I think we should drop him for a match. He's been off form. Needs a rest. And I reckon is the sort of player who would come roaring back to hold his place.

Depends if he needs one.

If he's fit, there's no scenario at the moment he shouldn't be starting for us in a league match where points are up for grabs.

Today was Man City. Everyone was crap v Brighton bar Jack, their setup and performance was fantastic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Was definitely his poorest game. Being disciplined and protecting his defense is clearly a weak point in his game, which he needs to work on.

Bear in mind he was dealing with Mendy + Silva + Sterling which is probably the best left-side attack in world football.

It's no coincidence that our players look worse against better opposition.

• Like 2

Love his energy, but the amount of times he got the ball back in our half and just started running forward for no reason without even giving it a thought to lose it few seconds later and bring us under pressure again was just silly. Not sure whether to blame the coaching or him. 

Edited by Alakagom
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Alakagom said:

Love his energy, but the amount of times he got the ball back in our half and just started running forward for no reason without even giving it a thought to lose it few seconds later and bring us under pressure again was just silly. Not sure whether to blame the coaching or him. 

It is a habit from his spl and football league and he needs to get out it fast. It is great in the Championship where he is up there with the most athletic but against international players most weeks it isn't going to fly. He isn't rapid quick.

Needs to work on finding passes and finding them quick.

• Like 2

Needs to release the ball quicker. Not as bad today as the last two games but there has been a noticeable drop off in his level, although not easy to deliver against our last two opponents, but does to me suggest the talk of a move to United is wide of the mark, has a lot more to develop and learn.

• Like 2

On 28/10/2019 at 16:34, KentVillan said:

Bear in mind he was dealing with Mendy + Silva + Sterling which is probably the best left-side attack in world football.

It's no coincidence that our players look worse against better opposition.

And yet could have gone away with two goals but for a brilliant save and a lick of paint. 

Agreed some adapting is needed. He will, he always does.

The better the opposition, the harder it gets, the more it matters... the taller John McGinn grows. Huge part of our future. 

Makes me laugh what the hell Doug Luiz must think watching him charge around. They need to take a bit of each other's game on board and at worst we'll have two top 6 Premier League players.

Needs to be rested is untouchable at the moment and has played every minute for us and played every game for Scotland he just isn't getting rested. Him being so tired is likely why he picks up so many bookings as he gets there to late and just follows through if he was full energy he would probably chase after the ball or get their before the ball is played. Should come off at 70 minutes every game. 

makes great interceptions and picks pockets, not quite so good at closing down and denying the opposition time on the ball.....needs to get tighter at times.

I love SJM but he is much better on the ball than off it.

Â