John McGinn

PompeyVillan

On 18/10/2019 at 12:25, Tomaszk said:

25 years young today.

What a player, what a man.

Huge part of our invigoration.

Gets better every game, finds a way, makes it work, God knows what his ceiling is.

I'd like to see him with the armband on occasion soon. Deano, Grealish, Mings and John boy are this club's spine.

Same birthday as mine then. Nice😊

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Thought he was pretty good. Nearly had two goals, and defended well.

The really poor players were Guilbert, Trez, and Wesley.

He didn't help Nakamba out enough, nor was he offering options when we needed to keep possession. I expect him to be more involved and we needed him to work harder today.

Honestly he's one of our key players but fans are either blind to his poor displays or choosing to ignore it 

He was borderline garbage last week, showing no quality on the ball at all and going through large spells where he simply wasn't involved. He was pretty much the same this week but it's more 'forgivable' against stronger opposition.

What I've noticed is that he does have these spells in games (not all) where he appears to be invisible, doesn't give help to those around him and doesn't show for the ball in good positions. I can't quite put my finger on why he does this mind.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Honestly he's one of our key players but fans are either blind to his poor displays or choosing to ignore it 

He was borderline garbage last week, showing no quality on the ball at all and going through large spells where he simply wasn't involved. He was pretty much the same this week but it's more 'forgivable' against stronger opposition.

What I've noticed is that he does have these spells in games (not all) where he appears to be invisible, doesn't give help to those around him and doesn't show for the ball in good positions. I can't quite put my finger on why he does this mind.

Agree 100%. 

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

But in the same vein, we have to realise he obviously gets a pass from most fans because he is usually brilliant and works his socks off.

That is common sense.

No doubt - I just think it's important to be fair. Somebody gave him MoTM in the reactions thread ffs. 18 passes today. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

No doubt - I just think it's important to be fair. Somebody gave him MoTM in the reactions thread ffs. 18 passes today. 

He obviously wasn't MOTM, but nor was he especially poor. I agree with you that he gets a free pass sometimes, but I don't think today was one of those games.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

But in the same vein, we have to realise he obviously gets a pass from most fans because he is usually brilliant and works his socks off.

That is common sense.

No passes from me. When you don't perform, you'll be called out. That doesn't mean you're shite, not at all.

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

He obviously wasn't MOTM, but nor was he especially poor. I agree with you that he gets a free pass sometimes, but I don't think today was one of those games.

I think by the standards he has set, he was poor. All in all, it's actually more of a compliment. 

2 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

No passes from me. When you don't perform, you'll be called out. That doesn't mean you're shite, not at all.

Nah we call him out, but we don;t dwell on it or smash him because those performances from him are the exception, not the rule.

• Like 2

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Nah we call him out, but we don;t dwell on it or smash him because those performances from him are the exception, not the rule.

Which is right. No dwelling, just say it as it is.

I thought he was decent today, not at his usual best but you can’t expect 8 out of 10 performances every week. He was up against some very good players today and didn’t look out of place. One thing you can never fault him for is effort

Â