John McGinn

PompeyVillan

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Not that much, if we were a pl side sure but we aren't.

Championsship players rarely sells for more than 10 mill. If we were a prem side we could possibly get 20-30 for him

If we talk about Grealish for £25m then I don’t think it’s unreasonal to ask the same for McGinn. I think he’d be a highly effective premier league player. 

In fairness we can put whatever price tag we want on him while he’s under contract. Hopefully our owners won’t piss around 

Edited by blunther

1 hour ago, PompeyVillan said:

McGinn is a funny one. I admire alot of what he does, but he is quite inconsistent with his passing. He has alot of potential but occasionally his execution for simple passes is quite poor. He frustrates abd impresses me in equal measure. I don't make him our best player, but he's up there. 

I agree.

He brings a lot of intensity and graft to our team.

For me what makes him stand out is that his character shows through his play and he will continue to develop and become a Premier League player.

He does have a tendency of running with his head down and missing simple passes. His passing and first touch are not his best attributes.

I do think that he will improve as time goes on.

I think with McGinn is a bit like Bolasie. If they had more end product they wouldnt be at Villa. Gets into brilliant positions at times maybe 1 chance a game and just doesnt take enough of them

I see others are thinking similarly to me. I love McGinn, but his passing over the last two or three games has been dreadful. I don't want him to stop trying, because we desperately lacked someone who could carry the ball and get attacks moving for so long (never mind having someone in the middle who seemed to actually care) but he's been so frustrating with misplacing his passes recently, even some really simple ones. I don't know if it's just not a strength of his and it's becoming more obvious without Grealish, or tiredness, or something else.

5 hours ago, blunther said:

If we talk about Grealish for £25m then I don’t think it’s unreasonal to ask the same for McGinn. I think he’d be a highly effective premier league player. 

In fairness we can put whatever price tag we want on him while he’s under contract. Hopefully our owners won’t piss around 

No one is paying 25 mill for a championship player

• Confused 1

I agree about his passing, I've noticed since he signed that's not one of his strongest points. But the energy he brings in midfield and pressure he places on the opposition is so crucial considering who he's playing alongside. He's indispensable. Great ball in for the first goal yesterday too. 

I like Mcginn and it’s absolutely no surprise that he looks 5 x the player when Jack is next  to him sharing the load.

Unfortunately since Jack’s injury he’s had to do the work of Bjarneson and Hourihane which is why he is so knackered.....whilst the other two both swan around the pitch looking for set pieces to take. 

Whelan does the graft when he plays but is so limited going forward.

A proper DCM and Jack alternative will allow us to get the best from McGinn. Hourihane can benchwarm and BB can do one.

I know it's easier for us to slate players right now, and deservedly so. But I thought he was the only positive today in a sea of negatives. It's come to be expected from him but his grit and determination is more than the rest of the team combined. That run in the second half where he drove and drove past a few of them epitomized him as a player.

Always gives everything and tries to carry the team on his shoulders. Only player worthy of wearing the shirt.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kwoktolai said:

I hope he will stay for another season, cause at this rate he will  be playing in a better league

I’m not so sure. Yes he stands out for us, and his work rate is to be commended, but his quality on the ball isn’t always great and his final ball can be lacking. Premier league level I think he’d get caught out. 

—————————

He is a throw back to an old school midfielder, box to box able to win the ball and also chip in with some goals. It’s refreshing for us as we haven’t had someone of that ilk in a good while.

• Like 2

I think you are right mickeyp102, in that he has always had that fan frustration when he does a lot of good work and then the final ball is not there. Sometimes he charges forward with the ball , scares the opposition defenders, and then makes a poor decision. This scenario I saw when you played WBA and with a few minutes left and leading, he charged upfield and then instead of taking the ball wide to the corner and wind the clock down, he tried to make something happen and just ran the ball out . ........WBA then score, albeit by a handball.

He becomes a fans favourite due to the effort he puts in but still needs to work on his distribution. I thought this would happen when he moved to Villa, bigger league, better players but unfortunately all around him are struggling so this will hold his development back a little at this moment in time. 🙄

Due to this I think he will stay,  as I also don't think he is ready for the Premier League yet and would struggle with speed and accuracy needed. In the meantime , hopefully Smith and Terry can get some decent coaching done and start to turn things around as if the team start to get some confidence going it can only benefit the development of McGinn. 

They also need to get the players to scrap for the shirt and badge. At present too many sides see playing you as their cup final by being one of the biggest clubs in the Championship, and you then find yourselves out fought and losing to a team that on paper you should beat.

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 3

Â