John McGinn

PompeyVillan

John McGinn: Aston Villa keen to sign Hibernian midfielder

BBC. 

Aston Villa have launched a move to sign Hibernian midfielder John McGinn.

The Scotland international, 23, has a year left on his contract and has been the subject of several failed bids from Scottish champions Celtic this summer.

But Championship side Villa are hopeful of sealing a deal before the English transfer window closes on Thursday.

Hibs boss Neil Lennon said after Sunday's 3-0 win over Motherwell that "it wouldn't surprise me if something was on the table before Thursday."

"He's a fantastic footballer," he added of McGinn. "I hope we can keep him but it's very difficult when a talent like him is playing like he is.

"His athleticism, his vision, his goals, he's the complete midfielder player at the minute.

"We've got an absolute superstar here and I hope to get to work with him a bit longer. Maybe not, though, we'll see."

The English transfer window closes at 17:00 BST on Thursday, hours before the first leg of Hibs' Europa League third qualifying round tie with Molde.

Brighton and Hove Albion also held talks with the Leith side over McGinn, but no offer was submitted.

McGinn has won nine Scotland caps since making his debut in a friendly against Denmark in March 2016.

Anyone know much about him?

Very highly rated within the spl, I know celtic were chasing him. I'd say spl and championship are a similar standard so could be a really good signing for us. Going into the last year of his contract so should also be very good price we can get him at. 

15 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

I'd say spl and championship are a similar standard

They really really aren't. 

Celtic aside it's probably more league one which is why they championship is choca block with Scottish players. 

• Like 2

I hadn’t heard of him (haven’t seen any Scottish football in years) but looking at the link to a Hibs forum in the transfer thread they look at him the same way we look at Grealish. Sounds well worth a punt. Also gave me a laugh when one of them said “they got Des Bremner on the cheap from us” - sounds like they would rather he came here than Celtic. Gut feel is I’d like to see him come in.

Nixon's stance has shifted, His twitter:

VILLA. Pushing hard for Nmecha. May yet be the club where the lad gets most games. If they nick McGinn from under Celtic’s nose that will be some business.

*Cant paste link as its private account 

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 2

This one's intriguing.  Seems like a very promising player.  Hibernian 'dreading' losing him and Celtic sniffing.  Fingers crossed we land him.

9 minutes ago, BigJim said:

So McGinn is the replacement for Jack?  

...wish I could see the funny side of it.

Im sorry, but anytime we're linked with a player its "he's a replacement for Jack" or "We're spending the Jack money now"

Edited by GENTLEMAN

13 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Im sorry, but anytime we're linked with a player its "he's a replacement for Jack" or "We're spending the Jack money now"

yes the most annoying part of it is that it's probably true

http://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre

12:25pm McGINN ARRIVES FOR VILLA TALKS

Hibernian midfielder John McGinn has arrived at Aston Villa’s training ground for talks about a possible move to the Midlands, Sky Sports News understands, but Celtic are still very much in the frame to sign him.

No fee has yet been agreed between Villa and Hibs for the 23-year-old Scotland international.

Celtic have seen several bids for McGinn rejected this summer, and it’s thought both the player and Hibs prefer a move to the English Championship.

• Like 1

you'd think they'd rather he went here than strengthening one of their biggest rivals for the title. if he's as good as rumour and hibs fans has it then I'm all for it if the price is right.

Â