John McGinn

PompeyVillan

11 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Last season with Mings you could hear him talking to players , encouraging players  shouting at players if required 

I don’t think I saw McGinn utter a single word out there today ? 

That's unfair. He'll definitely have indulged in some top banter.

Edited by Tom13

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

McGinn is the heart of the soul of the team even if he's not in the XI, ya what?

I probably should have said squad/dressing room.  He gives his all and has the best personality (I've gone all Internet dating saying that but you know what I mean), he doesn't need the armband to have an influence.  In fact making him captain could take the edge off if he has to become all serious and business-like, plus we have to pick him every week when he might need taking out of the firing line for a bit if his form continues.

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I probably should have said squad/dressing room.  He gives his all and has the best personality (I've gone all Internet dating saying that but you know what I mean), he doesn't need the armband to have an influence.  In fact making him captain could take the edge off if he has to become all serious and business-like, plus we have to pick him every week when he might need taking out of the firing line for a bit if his form continues.

No reactions left but gotcha 👍

He shouldn't be in the starting XI as he's nowhere near the level we require.

7 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

He does sometimes, not consistently IMO. 

At the start of last season there was a lot of talk about McGinn having changed the way he eats and trains and that he was fitter than before. I thought so too, he looked healthier and seemed quicker.

Does he look worse again now, or am I being influenced by the general negative view of him at the moment?

I agree, he's always had an issue...

As he trundled out at the Vitality on Saturday I thought he looked larger than ever; this was reflected by his play as usual slow, caught in possession.

Still think he's holding us back and I've thought that for over two years now.

• Like 1

It really is a questionable decision to make JM captain. Let alone isolating Mings at the same time. 

Agree with many, Mcginn doesn't suit a possession based, ball retaining style at all, in pre-season and saturday, he keeps knocking the ball forward, running after it like a lost chicken (or Rhino) and losing possession. He doesn't show for the ball much and is miles away from his team mate most of the time. 

No wonder Coutinho and the other midfielders struggle to control central areas, Mcginn is a liability.

This decision will haunt Gerrard.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

On his first game as captain he wasn't even his usual self, instead of being all over the gaff, he was anonymous!

This doesn't bode well!

My guess is he isn’t too happy at the moment. Being made captain adds pressure, and him being Gerrard’s favourite makes people negative against him when things go wrong (which may be a bit unfair).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Philosopher said:

On his first game as captain he wasn't even his usual self, instead of being all over the gaff, he was anonymous!

This doesn't bode well!

No that's exactly his usual self. Either anonymous or in the game because the man he didn't track back went on and scored or created the goal. 

• Like 2

Â