John McGinn

PompeyVillan

McGinn was ok today but better against Everton.

But let us not get carried away, many have expressed reservations about him for a year now. His two recent decent performances and the odd other here and there this season do not justify him at all. I think he has been terribly inconsistent and mostly consistent at putting us under pressure with giving the ball away way too much for a professional footballer.

Yes I will give him his due as the last two games he seems to curbed the persistent passing it to the opposition.

He still needs replaced for me our midfield is too lightweight and he has been the only constant this season in regard to the problem.

One good or decent game in ten is not consistency.

• Like 1

Decentish squad player for me. Nothing more. Great in championship, average in premier league. If he improves then great as I love him but if he continues to tread water then if we can get a better player in then we should for this level. It’d be a shame as he is loved by most but we can’t afford to stand still. 

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Skruff said:

I've been crying for him to be dropped or subbed, but he's been gradually improving over the past 3-4 games. He's way more at pace with the game now, better first touch, touches, releases, pace, passes and fitness. I'm staying positive! Think he'll be good the rest of the season and kick on for the next one.

I remember when Stan Petrov signed for us from Celtic, He was way off the pace of the PL for atleast a couple of seasons then suddenly..  boom. He was our talisman that we couldn't be without.

I am confident we will see McGinn come to life again from next season.

Remember, he is only 26 and his peak years are now only round the corner.

We are yet to see the best of John McGinn.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I remember when Stan Petrov signed for us from Celtic, He was way off the pace of the PL for atleast a couple of seasons then suddenly..  boom. He was our talisman that we couldn't be without.

I am confident we will see McGinn come to life again from next season.

Remember, he is only 26 and his peak years are now only round the corner.

We are yet to see the best of John McGinn.

Like most, I hope you are right, as I think we would ideally love him to be a part of a successful journey for the long haul.

" One of us ".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Cannot believe the stick he gets on here. He's class and our best midfielder. He was outstanding today.

When he plays poorly which has been in the majority of games these two seasons people are hardly going to say he had a good game right? One decent game every 20. Today was that game.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SJM said:

as a hibs fan, can you please stop saying things like this, it hurts my feelings 😰

Sorry mate, it hurts me to say it too, John's a great lad, but I think our midfield needs a major overhaul if we want to get closer to Europe.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

When he plays poorly which has been in the majority of games these two seasons people are hardly going to say he had a good game right? One decent game every 20. Today was that game.

Saying one decent game every twenty is an example of why villa fans moan about other villa fans. Lucky football is subjective

Not suggesting this, however... McGinn is probably worth £25M+ right now, but likely to fall down the pecking order if we strengthen central midfield again this summer. 

Is this the time to do a swop deal with Celtic for Edouard, solve our second striker problem and free up a space in CM for a *better* (I rate McGinn) player? 

If we’re looking to progress then sooner or later that will include moving decent players on to make room for growth. 

17 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

one good game every 5-8 games, but i really hope he grows with us and gets better.

I agree. More needed. I wouldn't want to back against him, but he's not been the same since that big injury.

I think Smith loves the responsibility he takes on the pitch. It's the reason he keeps playing all the time and the reason he never seems to disappear. When he has a bad game, you really notice it because he keeps getting on the ball before giving the bugger away again.

Last season it was his injury, this season it's been covid. I think he's been unlucky in that respect but he's definitely not been good enough for a fair old while - you take the work rate and running out his game and he's very ordinary, he doesn't have the technical skills to get away with it. 

You are all forgetting.

McGinn started last season lively enough but he struggled with his form even before the injury against Southampton.

One decent game in ten isn't what we need, needs replaced. He invites so much pressure on us constantly giving the ball away, we need more reliability.

I compared the stats of him and Ward-Prowse. JWP has way better more recoveries (quicker), is a better passer, makes more tackles and is way better attacking with more assists and goals. 

Was best midfielder on the pitch for 70 minutes today. And considering Everton have some decent ones (or at least expensive ones) not a bad accolade.

He did tire though and start to get bypassed and a few sloppy passes in last 20. Interesting they said on comms he hadn't been subbed in a single prem game this season (and I doubt it happened much last season when he was fit) so think that's something we need to look into a bit as Everton were playing through us too easily in the last part of the game even though we put Ramsey on to try to get more control centrally.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Was best midfielder on the pitch for 70 minutes today. And considering Everton have some decent ones (or at least expensive ones) not a bad accolade.

He did tire though and start to get bypassed and a few sloppy passes in last 20. Interesting they said on comms he hadn't been subbed in a single prem game this season (and I doubt it happened much last season when he was fit) so think that's something we need to look into a bit as Everton were playing through us too easily in the last part of the game even though we put Ramsey on to try to get more control centrally.

I thought he was sloppy and for all his running was inneffective again. But saying that everyone was tonight. I am worried* he wont regain his form and may get replaced in the summer, relegated to squad player rather than first 11.

*actually I am not really worried.

Edited by thunderball

Â