John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I thought that SJM and Trezeguet were the two worst Villa players tonight. However, SJM is secknd due to the fact that Trezeguet is first choice to track back to help out Matty Cash but he didn't at any time. That meant McGinn or Luiz should've and they didn't on Cash's side. But, Luiz did so many other things good that it left SJM looking poor. 

He needs to play deep. He was playing quite high up the pitch which forced Barkley to drop deep and nullified mcginns own ability. We need to play in a 4-2-3-1 not a 4-1-2-3. I think that should really be the key takeaway from the Leeds game. That and we are too narrow but playing a 4-2-3-1 helps with that as well as it mean the defensive 3 is more packed with bodies which allows the full backs and wingers to push out wide and prevent crosses from being sent in. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

He needs to play deep. He was playing quite high up the pitch which forced Barkley to drop deep and nullified mcginns own ability. We need to play in a 4-2-3-1 not a 4-1-2-3. I think that should really be the key takeaway from the Leeds game. That and we are too narrow but playing a 4-2-3-1 helps with that as well as it mean the defensive 3 is more packed with bodies which allows the full backs and wingers to push out wide and prevent crosses from being sent in. 

I totally agree. I’m afraid we’re far too open with McGinn and Barkley both going forward. I’m afraid McGinn, like he did against Liverpool, needs to hold his position. If he doesn’t, teams will run through us on the break. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

This isn't just a reaction to today, but McGinn isn't PL quality.

On his day, he has the ability, but his day is far too infrequent, and his fitness is always suspect.

I've said it a few times, I'd rather play Hourihane. McGinn has a place as a sub coming on with some energy, but he doesn't have the legs to start PL games, IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Smith never subs off Mcginn or Grealish in a league game, no matter how badly they play.

That's nice for squad morale if you have 10 untouchables that never gets substituted.

Edited by momo

I'm not sure it's a bad performance, it was more a bad tactical call. Already after 5 minutes you could see our midfield was completely imbalanced. I didn't even spot McGinn. 

I'm not really sure where the problem lies, whether it's the distribution/hoofing from the back, or McGinn once again being pushed to far up the pitch. He wasn't involved much, but whenever he was he did alright. 

There's something wrong here and it's not his performance per say.

Â