John McGinn

PompeyVillan

I love love love him but am I right it was a bit of sloppy play from him that led to their two goals? Excellent overall though. And anyone can play a sloppy pass or two, see Jack v Fulham. Think he will have a great season. Throughball to Jack for the seventh goal was absolutely glorious.

He's played two full matches now, and probably a 3rd on wednesday. Hope he doesn't play in that one tbf, but if he does, I wonder if it's worth then resting him against Leicester? 3 international matches in a week is a joke. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Rodders said:

He's played two full matches now, and probably a 3rd on wednesday. Hope he doesn't play in that one tbf, but if he does, I wonder if it's worth then resting him against Leicester? 3 international matches in a week is a joke. 

I can see the logic BUT I wouldn't want to rest SJM against Leicester.  It's a tough game and we will need his energy (even a tired SJM brings more energy than CH!).  The next two games - Leicester (a) and Leeds (h) - are huge for me.  Maybe rest him against Southampton (h) on 1.11?

It would be interesting to see who people view as the cover for a rested SJM?  CH or Ramsey.  It would be the latter for me from what I have seen this season.

On 12/10/2020 at 09:08, Rodders said:

On 12/10/2020 at 09:48, barry'sboots said:

I can see the logic BUT I wouldn't want to rest SJM against Leicester.  It's a tough game and we will need his energy (even a tired SJM brings more energy than CH!).  The next two games - Leicester (a) and Leeds (h) - are huge for me.  Maybe rest him against Southampton (h) on 1.11?

It would be interesting to see who people view as the cover for a rested SJM?  CH or Ramsey.  It would be the latter for me from what I have seen this season.

Conor has played 2 games with Ireland as well (and may well play the Wed game in Finland), so if we were contemplating resting McGinn because of excessive international games the same would apply to CH and so it would make sense to start Ramsey.

I understand playing 3 International games consecutively.  One friendly to get the team's understanding in shape, dust off the cobwebs, then 2 competitive games to make use of the fact that all the effort for just one competitive game is ridiculous.

But to do so across 8 days (edit: sorry 6 days!!)  means no team is playing the same team in each match, so that friendly at the start of the run becomes totally pointless.  Shouldn't have happened.  Arguably, the entire nations league tournament shouldn't exist at all

Edit: on topic, hope John gets some form of rest in the next game, ideally starting on the bench. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Think 4-2-3-1 with nakamba starting over John maybe with him being tasked to man-mark maddison

wait, are u saying we should drop mcginn and play nakamba in his place??

13 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I'm not sure Nakamba can play for Scotland?  They could try and disguise him as McKamba but Marvellous is not your typical Jock first name?

Sorry by "He" I meant MrBlack's post

On 12/10/2020 at 09:48, barry'sboots said:

Nakamba.... I want two defensive midfielders in a 4-2-3-1

8 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Think 4-2-3-1 with nakamba starting over John maybe with him being tasked to man-mark maddison

Great minds, obviously you only meant whilst John is rested if he plays this third game.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

I'm not sure Nakamba can play for Scotland?  They could try and disguise him as McKamba but Marvellous is not your typical Jock first name?

That reminds me of the horrendous joke my Dad would often tell. Robert Mugabe is from Yorkshire because his name backwards is Ebagum

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, MaVilla said:

wait, are u saying we should drop mcginn and play nakamba in his place??

Because mcginn has played 3 games in 8 days and him playing every international match minute last season as well as all our games are what caused the downspiral in his form before he got inured. 

Â