John McGinn

PompeyVillan

We should just play him as a #10 behind Davis until he gets up to speed, especially since he basically plays there anyway. Just give him free reign to roam around behind Davis along with Jack and Anwar and we might have a chance of scoring.

4 hours ago, Enda said:

Would anyone try him on the right wing?

Nah - that's not his skillset. 

We need him back to running at the opposition and being a box-to-box midfielder, causing havoc and disrupting the opposition. Right now he's remeniscent of Drinkwater - just letting everything pass him by. 

• Like 1

Yes he's been poor since the restart, but who hasn't in our team.

I don't fully understand why his injury seems to be taking longer to recover from than expected (players all react and recover differently) but I can see that he was our second best player before he started playing through injury.  Who's have thought that doing that, followed by a covid-impacted rehab routine might hamper his recovery,  although I do think he should still be at the races by now and for some reason he isn't

Saying he won't cut it in the PL is premature,  he already had done to a degree before he got injured.

Need to keep him if we get relegated, and I'd back him to be good enough next season whether we do or not.

Edited by MrBlack

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Yes he's been poor since the restart, but who hasn't in our team.

I don't fully understand why his injury seems to be taking longer to recover from than expected (players all react and recover differently) but I can see that he was our second best player before he started playing through injury.  Who's have thought that doing that, followed by a covid-impacted rehab routine might hamper his recovery,  although I do think he should still be at the races by now and for some reason he isn't

Saying he won't cut it in the PL is premature,  he already had done to a degree before he got injured.

Need to keep him if we get relegated, and I'd back him to be good enough next season whether we do or not.

The defence certainly looks a lot better since the restart - in the four games before the break we had conceded 11 goals, whereas we've only conceded 4 in 4 since the restart against arguably better opposition. Luiz has been excellent. The midfield and attack look totally out of sorts, though. 

20 hours ago, Nabby said:

Which means another rebuild of the spine of the team...and yet people think relegation won't be that bad ...

All of these players are in long term contracts. We can keep them if the price isn't right, ffp has been waved for a season which means we can invest as much as we want next year without worrying too much. For me that means we will bring in a left back,another cb, another keeper, another winger or 2, a big strong cm and maybe another striker (although I'm still confident wesley will come good). 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, lexicon said:

The defence certainly looks a lot better since the restart - in the four games before the break we had conceded 11 goals, whereas we've only conceded 4 in 4 since the restart against arguably better opposition. Luiz has been excellent. The midfield and attack look totally out of sorts, though. 

The defence part could be down to the opposition being rusty as anything else. I'd guess that match fitness is less of an issue for a defender than a midfielder/winger who generally covers much more ground at a much faster rate. Either way, agree that we haven't looked particularly threatened defensively but don't think anyone stands out as having played well there. Offensively we are definitelu letting ourselves down.  And yes, good point about Luiz, hopefully not just trying to put himself in the shop window.

Don't think it undermines my point about McGinn though, he is still capable of performing in the PL. 

44 minutes ago, lexicon said:

No one comes to receive the ball especially mcginn. The reason mcginn looks crap is he isn't doing what made him good in the first place coming shot turning and sieving the ball forward whether through aggressive passing or through his own dribbling ability. Now whenever he receives it he doesn't have time and space to turn and 3 players around him. We need more movement from hourihane, mcginn, Konsa (rb), Targett (lb), Davis (both strikers if we are playing them) and proactive runs by el ghazi (to drag defenders away from our other players). 

Think he still looks unfit and bulky? He is learning now that in the Premier League he will be targeted by opposition coaches ( as well as Jack)  that he will be shut down very quickly ( often by a couple of players) and his trademark turn and shielding with his arse won't work well as the second player will pick off the ball. We will have to wait and see if he has the ability to change his game to cope with this extra "attention". Games now seem to pass him by.

Power and not speed was his strength when he was with us and of course his fantastic engine that made him a good box to box player.  Someone mentioned playing him as a winger but certainly in the Premier League I cannot see him having the pace to trouble fullbacks. 

Keep the faith Villans.

Edited by newhavenhibby

3 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

Think he still looks unfit and bulky? He is learning now that in the Premier League he will be targeted by opposition coaches ( as well as Jack)  that he will be shut down very quickly ( often by a couple of players) and his trademark turn and shielding with his arse won't work well as the second player will pick off the ball. We will have to wait and see if he has the ability to change his game to cope with this extra "attention". Games now seem to pass him by.

Power and not speed was his strength when he was with us and of course his fantastic engine that made him a good box to box player.  Someone mentioned playing him as a winger but certainly in the Premier League I cannot see him having the pace to trouble fullbacks. 

Keep the faith Villans.

Needs to come deeper to receive the ball he is practically playing as a 2nd or 3rd striker out there. 

44 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The defence part could be down to the opposition being rusty as anything else. I'd guess that match fitness is less of an issue for a defender than a midfielder/winger who generally covers much more ground at a much faster rate. Either way, agree that we haven't looked particularly threatened defensively but don't think anyone stands out as having played well there. Offensively we are definitelu letting ourselves down.  And yes, good point about Luiz, hopefully not just trying to put himself in the shop window.

Don't think it undermines my point about McGinn though, he is still capable of performing in the PL. 

The art of defending is not being noticed and limiting the opposition. I think it was Maldini who said that if he had to make a tackle, he'd made a mistake. 

On 29/06/2020 at 10:32, lexicon said:

The art of defending is not being noticed and limiting the opposition. I think it was Maldini who said that if he had to make a tackle, he'd made a mistake. 

Yip, been saying that for a while. Where he is playing today is where he made his name. So much more involved. Links up with Grealish much more as well playing deeper. Can ping balls forward as well. Was tearing my hair out with his starting position for months now. This game is here for the taking. 

Â