John McGinn

PompeyVillan

My only criticism of McGinn is that he is so determined and headstrong when it comes to taking the game by the scruff of the neck, that he can overdo it and lose possession.

He can overlook teammates providing simple but better options than the play he tries to go with, and it just seems like in that moment it was unecessarily McGinn against the world.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, A'Villan said:

My only criticism of McGinn is that he is so determined and headstrong when it comes to taking the game by the scruff of the neck, that he can overdo it and lose possession.

He can overlook teammates providing simple but better options than the play he tries to go with, and it just seems like in that moment it was unecessarily McGinn against the world.

His head down style limits him. He can't see so well what's going on around him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

His passing abilities are underrated.

He can pass for sure, not underrated. But his ability to see is limited but the fact that when the ball is at his feet his head is down and barely comes up for a look. He first touch can be on the heavy side sometimes. Love him, but he has his limitations.

Starting to look tired and being the player he is , he is trying to do too much to compensate . Quality coaches and players  will have identified weaknesses and will be focusing on them during games. He needs a rest before he gets frustrated, booked or sent off and has to have an enforced rest through suspension thus missing games against ‘lesser’ opposition that we could/should be winning.

22 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

His head down style limits him. He can't see so well what's going on around him.

It's also what's made him to be fair, he's pulled off some audacious passages of play through sheer confidence in his technique, that have been ultimately successful.

I actually think with McGinn he does have the peripheral vision to see what's around him and the options available, unlike say Kodjia who has tunnel vision and doesn't know any better.

McGinn just likes to take the game on, but he'd be up for the ballon d'or if he pulled off everything at the rate he attempts things at.

I love him but sometimes trust in your teammates and their ability to make the right play once you give them the ball is the right option to go for, and McGinn can lack this.

4 hours ago, newhavenhibby said:

Think your observations are close to what we experienced at Hibs. Some games his passing and vision was really poor but then he would have a blinding game and everything was forgotten. Sounds like he is still running at times like a headless chicken and misses simple link up play which often would benefit the side. 

Hibs fans used to love how he'd fight to win and hang onto the ball especially using his arse, 😀 . but at times you need to get your head up and pass to use the ball more effectively.

I hoped that moving to Villa in a bigger league with better coaches that he would develop from his times at Hibs. It was interesting to read the MoM nominations on here after games and most of last year he was the player of choice. This year he rarely features very highly and whether this is due to tiredness, playing in a higher league etc I don't know,  but am sure the Villa coaching staff will be working with him to improve aspects of his game to benefit his career and of course Aston Villa FC. You have of course increased the quality of players around him and one I like the look of is Mings, meaning he won't stand out as much as some of the Championship games last season.

One thing is never in doubt......he always gives 100% for the badge he is playing for......but this can lead to over enthusiasm that can lead to bookings etc.

Good luck for the rest of the season and hopefully more results will go your way as many have been lost to close games, early goals or poor decisions.

I think in time the McGinn arse roll will become just as famous as the Cruyff turn.  I even saw the use of it in the school playground when dropping my son off at school this week. :D

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’d consider resting him for Leicester. The 4 league games after that are more winnable and I’d prefer a fit and firing McGinn for those. It won’t happen though

Good shout.

Not a bad idea at all.

Problem is that he would be one of the first names on the team sheet if fit and not suspended. 

Difficult for the manager as many fans would expect him to play against the foxes and if you get beat badly then Smith cops the wrath if McGinn is rested. You cannot please all the people all of the time...🙄

• Like 1

We should be going out with the believe that we can beat Leicester, at Villa Park we're capable of beating any team in the division. Resting players in that game as if to suggest that we might as well give our better players a break because we're not going to win anyway, would send out the wrong messeage completely, and thankfully it's something that Smith won't do.

• Like 2

He doesn't necessarily need dropping. Just ease his training workload a bit, and give him 55 mins vs Leicester.

He'd probably benefit from picking up a small knock or illness which forces him out for a game or two. He's a victim to some extent of his own consistency - never gets injured, battles for the whole 90 mins week in week out. But he is definitely starting to look a bit depleted.

Next summer he'll have a longer break, with no play-offs and no international football to worry about. I reckon 2020-21 will be a huge season for him.

Edit: also, I agree with @useless that at Villa Park we really should be treating Leicester as a winnable fixture. If we can run Liverpool close at Villa Park, then we can definitely pick something up off Leicester.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, useless said:

We should be going out with the believe that we can beat Leicester, at Villa Park we're capable of beating any team in the division. Resting players in that game as if to suggest that we might as well give our better players a break because we're not going to win anyway, would send out the wrong messeage completely, and thankfully it's something that Smith won't do.

I agree in a way. We should be going out looking to win. But at the same time we have to be sensible with our squad. Most of us have said John looks like he needs a rest, he played international and cups this year as well as in the league. He’s managed to avoid bookings, which is great, but is normally where he gets a rest. We have such an important run coming up. We need him firing.

I think he might be getting found out (to agree with Philosopher).

Against Chelsea and other opponents he is getting shrugged off the ball too easily because he is slow and a little lightweight. 

I think our best three for the middle are Luiz, Marvelous and Hourihane. McGinn and Lansbury are fighting for a place.

McGinn has the do or die approach which Smith likes though which is a pity as the other three are stronger players for me.

Personally I'd have dropped him weeks ago just to see if he does need a rest, how he reacts?

I think he's doing better than portrayed here. His arse wiggle and uturns are being picked up on though. Against Chelsea they doubled up on him having safety in case he broke free and he lost possession once or twice.

But he definately is our better alternative compared to Hourihane and Luiz. He just has more fight which we lack. 

• Like 1

Â