John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Holy crap guys. Dimwit serial bullshitter Nixon writes some crap about ManUre wanting McGinn for his clickbait, ad--filled rag of a newspaper and it generates pages of discussion. 

Nixon is a f*ckwit who knows nothing and is only interested in generating clicks for ad-revenue. Chill everyone. SJM is not leaving.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

Holy crap guys. Dimwit serial bullshitter Nixon writes some crap about ManUre wanting McGinn for his clickbait, ad--filled rag of a newspaper and it generates pages of discussion. 

Nixon is a f*ckwit who knows nothing and is only interested in generating clicks for ad-revenue. Chill everyone. SJM is not leaving.

I don't think anyone thinks he is. I think everyone has unanimously said the story is bollocks.

The discussion is hypothetical. And quite an interesting one, imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

go away gtfo GIF

I honestly think keeping McGinn can be the difference between surviving our initial season, or getting relegated again. It's one of the few British football grafters we got, and he has genuine quality. He also is well drilled in our tactics, has good relations with other key players like Grealish and El Ghazi. Selling him would be utterly foolish even if it was financially sound.

Fortunately we won't be selling him, so take that talk and listen to Mr. Gold. 

We'll see. He's quality, in the starting 11, but he's never kicked a football in this league.

Ten pounds to VT at the end of the season if McGinn is a 50 million pound player.

3 hours ago, Enda said:

We'll see. He's quality, in the starting 11, but he's never kicked a football in this league.

Ten pounds to VT at the end of the season if McGinn is a 50 million pound player.

Who decides whether he is a £50m player? Do you need a written offer of intent to purchase?

3 hours ago, Enda said:

A tenner? You tightarse!

Can't see him going in the next couple of weeks but if he has a good run up until christmas i wouldn't be surprised if someone had a go at getting him in Jan. If we are lounging around 16th and UTD/Arsenal etc make a bid you couldn't really blame him for at least being interested

50 minutes ago, brommy said:

Who decides whether he is a £50m player? Do you need a written offer of intent to purchase?

Fair point, we'll need some way to mark it. By no means perfect but let's use whoscored.com.

Gueye just went for £30m and he has an average rating of 7.14 so a £50m player, even adjusting for age, would have to beat that. This website uses FM-like scores, where a 6 is normal and 7 is fairly good.

So I'll put it this way: if John McGinn rounds out the season with an average rating of 7.15 (OR is listed in the Top 25 players in the league), I'll absolutely accept he's a £50m player. Until then I just don't accept he's worth more than Gueye and Douglas combined.

47 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

A tenner? You tightarse!

With the way sterling is going you lot will be happy to get it 😎

8 minutes ago, Enda said:

Fair point, we'll need some way to mark it. By no means perfect but let's use whoscored.com.

Gueye just went for £30m and he has an average rating of 7.14 so a £50m player, even adjusting for age, would have to beat that. This website uses FM-like scores, where a 6 is normal and 7 is fairly good.

So I'll put it this way: if John McGinn rounds out the season with an average rating of 7.15 (OR is listed in the Top 25 players in the league), I'll absolutely accept he's a £50m player. Until then I just don't accept he's worth more than Gueye and Douglas combined.

raheem sterling dancing GIF by BT Sport

3 hours ago, Enda said:

Would you rather him in your team sheet or Bissaka?

17 hours ago, Enda said:

He might be a £50m player by the end of the season.

BUt that's a lot different than him being a £50m player now.

If McGinn plays like he did in the Championship in the Premier League then I can totally see it.

But I don't think anyone would be paying that much for him now. And if they did we'd be accepting it.

Anybody got access to the telegraph? There's an article on there saying McGinn trains like Rooney. Not got access to the full article though was curious what they had to say. 

On 01/08/2019 at 12:49, skarroki said:

Anybody got access to the telegraph? There's an article on there saying McGinn trains like Rooney. Not got access to the full article though was curious what they had to say. 

Not the Telegraph, but same interview: https://talksport.com/football/580979/john-mcginn-aston-villa-wayne-rooney-man-united/

“He is a throwback,” Holden told the Times. “At Hibs, he would be the first one out to train and he’d ask, ‘What was Wayne Rooney like?’

“I’d say, ‘Just like you, son.’ Wayne would be the first out with a bag of balls on his back and last in carrying a bag of balls as well.

“They are different players, and you can’t compare what they have done, but in terms of loving football and having drive and focus they are very similar.

“John trains like a demon, cares massively about what he does and he is a gem of a kid.”

A non-story tbh, but good to hear!

30 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We saw today that he lost the ball a few times in possession.

He will have less time on the ball at this level and i think he learned that today. Very good test for him.

he didn't have a good game apart from the goal, but he was being pushed off the ball by three players every time he got it and some of those tackles should have resulted in a free kick, but he needs to find space quicker and release the ball faster.

Â