John McGinn

PompeyVillan

On 11/08/2018 at 17:33, Farlz said:

One of the best debuts I've seen, he was absolutely superb. 

Agreed and I was there when Brian Little, Andy Gray, Dennis Mortimer and Dean Saunders made their debuts. He has made a really promising start. :)

On 09/08/2018 at 20:33, robby b said:

If he does well for Villa I think I might adopt Hibs as my Scottish team ! : )

(When I was a little kid I picked Morton but I can't remember why. Random. I followed their results as I grew up. Maybe I liked their badge, they were in one of my Panini sticker albums).

Slightly off topic but I did exactly this with Hearts of Midlothian, loved the old foil badge sticker and they kind of played in a claret coloured top. Panini '88 if I remember rightly! 

On topic, been on my holibobs and judging by the reaction here and the 10 minute highlight reel on the FaceTubes we have a real gem, welcome to Villa young man! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Bjarnasson isn't good just because he scored the winning goal, in fact I think he's very poor defensive mid. We've not lost last 9 games Whelan starts. 

Bjarnason is much better than whelan in cm. We look more of a threat and have more energy when bjarnason is in cm. Whelan is ok but just ok. Very clumsy like jedinak

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Bjarnason is much better than whelan in cm. We look more of a threat and have more energy when bjarnason is in cm. Whelan is ok but just ok. Very clumsy like jedinak

This may or may not be true but it definitely wasn't true on Saturday. Bjarnasson can definitely offer more going forward but he was really pants defensively on Saturday. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

In regard to a couple of earlier posts...If anyone is looking for a Scottish team to follow... ?

OK, here’s my Dragons’ Den pitch for following St Mirren. John McGinn is one of our own, and if you keep an eye out for our results, you will also be able to see how his brothers Stephen and Paul are doing, as they are regulars in our first team. We are five miles from Ibrox and ten from Celtic Park, so have a constant battle with huge amounts of fans in our town and county going to watch the two big uglies and ignoring their local team. We are an underdog, but not a hopelessly rubbish one, we punch above our weight, so if you pick us, you should, maybe, hopefully, see some wins. (Terms and conditions apply!)

Finally. I own an Aston Villa Nike ‘Acorns’ sponsored jersey, and wear it regularly to the gym. Which was great this week with Celtic fans there slabbering about their penny pinching directors missing out on signing John McGinn.

Pitch over. ?

Thanks, but I am oot.

45 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

In regard to a couple of earlier posts...If anyone is looking for a Scottish team to follow... ?

OK, here’s my Dragons’ Den pitch for following St Mirren. John McGinn is one of our own, and if you keep an eye out for our results, you will also be able to see how his brothers Stephen and Paul are doing, as they are regulars in our first team. We are five miles from Ibrox and ten from Celtic Park, so have a constant battle with huge amounts of fans in our town and county going to watch the two big uglies and ignoring their local team. We are an underdog, but not a hopelessly rubbish one, we punch above our weight, so if you pick us, you should, maybe, hopefully, see some wins. (Terms and conditions apply!)

Finally. I own an Aston Villa Nike ‘Acorns’ sponsored jersey, and wear it regularly to the gym. Which was great this week with Celtic fans there slabbering about their penny pinching directors missing out on signing John McGinn.

Pitch over. ?

Wearing the Villa shirt will always be a winner but my Scottish allegiance is with the Red Lichties! Arbroath to those not in the know. They have a Claret and Blue badge and my Grandparents, mothers side were from there. 

I will now have a soft spot for Hibs and St Mirren though!  

Are his brothers any good? 

Edited by S-Platt
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Pitch over. ?

You missed the bit where you remind everyone that one of our own VTers is a scout for your club :thumb:

And while a little off topic maybe, I'd just like to say it's wicked having some Scots about the place. This club has always had strong links north of the border since that Scottish bloke turned up and invented league footie right? ;)

William-McGregor-Statue-Villa-Park.jpg?f

George Ramsey - Archie Hunter - Alex Massie - Vic Milne - Jimmie MacEwan - Andy Lochhead - Bruce Rioch - Andy Gray - Charlie Aitken - Ken McNaught - Allan Evans - Des Bremner - all have a place in our history.

In modern years more acquired tastes with cult figures like Snodgrass and Hutton or VT 'legends' like Bannan. Not so sure about Billy McNeil though.....

Scottish lion on the crest and all that. And as for us inventing Claret and Blue....

The claret and blue has been appropriated by many teams, but where did it come from? The Lion which emblazons the badge was reportedly brought from Scotland by William McGregor. The lion is almost a perfect duplicate of the one on the Rangers crest and the Villa motto ‘Prepared’, is eerily similar to Rangers’ ‘Ready’.

There is a report in Aston Villa’s history that a match against Hearts of Midlothian saw them playing in maroon for the first time. The rumour is that board members and players whose origins lay in Scotland were in a pub when they decide on the historic colours. They took the blue of Rangers and maroon from Hearts. This was then been refined to the Aston Villa colours we know so well now.

http://www.scotzine.com/2016/03/aston-villa-and-its-scottish-roots/

Anyway, well done McGinn. Sounds like he had a great debut and if we've found a busy little terrier type there are a few heads on here (me included) who are going to be very happy indeed ( @TRO buddy I'm looking at you :thumb: )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

This may or may not be true but it definitely wasn't true on Saturday. Bjarnasson can definitely offer more going forward but he was really pants defensively on Saturday. 

He was played left back on Saturday 

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

You missed the bit where you remind everyone that one of our own VTers is a scout for your club :thumb:

And while a little off topic maybe, I'd just like to say it's wicked having some Scots about the place. This club has always had strong links north of the border since that Scottish bloke turned up and invented league footie right? ;)

William-McGregor-Statue-Villa-Park.jpg?f

George Ramsey - Archie Hunter - Alex Massie - Vic Milne - Jimmie MacEwan - Andy Lochhead - Bruce Rioch - Andy Gray - Charlie Aitken - Ken McNaught - Allan Evans - Des Bremner - all have a place in our history.

In modern years more acquired tastes with cult figures like Snodgrass and Hutton or VT 'legends' like Bannan. Not so sure about Billy McNeil though.....

Scottish lion on the crest and all that. And as for us inventing Claret and Blue....

http://www.scotzine.com/2016/03/aston-villa-and-its-scottish-roots/

Anyway, well done McGinn. Sounds like he had a great debut and if we've found a busy little terrier type there are a few heads on here (me included) who are going to be very happy indeed ( @TRO buddy I'm looking at you :thumb: )

10/10 for observation.....you are quite right, McGinn is my kind of Player.....I love the all action types.....like I say he reminds me in some ways ( not stature) of Cropley.....Rarely can midfielders do both ...win the ball and create, this boy can.

Having said that....when Jack is in full flight, is there anything better.....I think he will get better too this season.

If we can just find a striker who can apply himself like those guys.....albeit Kodjia back to form, would be a start.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

10/10 for observation.....you are quite right, McGinn is my kind of Player.....I love the all action types.....like I say he reminds me in some ways ( not stature) of Cropley.....Rarely can midfielders do both ...win the ball and create, this boy can.

Having said that....when Jack is in full flight, is there anything better.....I think he will get better too this season.

If we can just find a striker who can apply himself like those guys.....albeit Kodjia back to form, would be a start.

I grew up seeing McMahon briefly, Kevin Richardson the best I've seen for us I think. Ian Taylor of course. Boateng had a certain rugged charm about him :D. Petrov for me is the only real stand out in recent years other than Barry.

One swallow don't make a summer and all that but if McGinn is as good as his debut suggests then we might have another name to add to the endless discussion :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I grew up seeing McMahon briefly, Kevin Richardson the best I've seen for us I think. Ian Taylor of course. Boateng had a certain rugged charm about him :D. Petrov for me is the only real stand out in recent years other than Barry.

One swallow don't make a summer and all that but if McGinn is as good as his debut suggests then we might have another name to add to the endless discussion :)

Loved Stan.....but more of a "pick pocket" for me....good reader of the game and chose that route to relieve the opposition of the ball.....all different types with the same objective to turn the ball over.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Jack has an assist this season from there, McGinn doesn’t :P

No he has 2

1st and 2nd goals and a hand in the 3rd

Edited by TRO

Â