Pre-Match Thread

Raver50032

Loved Steve Bruce's dig at Nursey during the press conference :D. Villa Park would be a tough place for any team to come to tomorrow with Villa celebrating Jack's retention. It is worth noting however that Wigan had a great record against us away from home until losing here 1-0 in 2016. Prior to that they had won 4 and drawn 3 of their previous 8 league games here. Let's make this two home wins on the trot against them and maintain our 100% win record this season. An 85-0 win would be nice but I would settle for a 2-0 victory!;)

On 10/08/2018 at 08:09, dounavilla said:

That's a ' no' from me.

I'd go :         Nyland

Hutton Chester twanzebra Taylor

.................. Thor...............

Elmo   Hourihane  Grealish  Green

....................Kodjia..........

Last time Thor played there from memory we almost got overrun at home by Burton. He's a rubbish CDM. Haven't lost last 9 times Whelan has started

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Last time Thor played there from memory we almost got overrun at home by Burton. He's a rubbish CDM. Haven't lost last 9 times Whelan has started

It's true, Whelan is our best option in this area and reading the Stoke forums they would have him back in their starting line up tomorrow. There's no doubt Bjarnason is a talented player but Whelan offers more stability and experience (albeit without the legs). Jedi can be the difference when the game is physical but Whelan is the more intelligent footballer.

• Like 2

I'd go...

Nyland 

Tuanzebe Chester Jedinak  Hutton

Elmo    McGinn  Hourihane   Green

Grealish  

Kodija 

Morreira, Taylor, Lansbury, Whelan, Bjarnsson, Adomah, Hepburn-Murphy

Think Bruce will make 2 (or 3) changes with Nyland and Tuanzebe coming in and possibly Jedinak.

UTV

It’ll be v interesting to see how Bruce sees McGinn fitting in. I don’t see him sitting in the defensive midfielder roll. 

Bruce has his favourites so I think the midfield five will be Whelan or Jedinak in the anchor role, McGinn and Hourihane in front of him, Grealish in an advanced midfield role with Adomah on the left and Elmo on the right.

Wish Green was invovled

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I would say a win, but I’ve just had a quick look at when Villa last won their opening two league matches. Unless I’ve missed something, it was back in 1999 (Newcastle away and Everton home) ?

From memory was that Everton not 0-0  with Yorke acting the Representative for Wellingborough. Then we won Newcastle and Sheff Wed

Maybe -

Nyland 

Elmo  Tuanzebe  Chester  Hutton

Whelan

Green          Hourihane      McGinn

Grealish

Kodjia 

Moreira, Elphick, Taylor, Jedinak, Adomah, Bjarnason, RHM

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

It’ll be v interesting to see how Bruce sees McGinn fitting in. I don’t see him sitting in the defensive midfielder roll. 

Bruce has his favourites so I think the midfield five will be Whelan or Jedinak in the anchor role, McGinn and Hourihane in front of him, Grealish in an advanced midfield role with Adomah on the left and Elmo on the right.

Wish Green was invovled

Midfield six you mean then? ?

• Like 1

Green for Taylor is the only unforced change I would make for now, Hutton moving to LB.

I think we have saw start of last year, and January the previous season what happens when we put out all our new toys at the same time. There is no need to rush anything.

Same again, a scrappy 3 points but 3 pts all the same.

Edited by rodders0223

23 minutes ago, YLN said:

From memory was that Everton not 0-0  with Yorke acting the Representative for Wellingborough. Then we won Newcastle and Sheff Wed

You’re referring to the 98-99 season in which Yorke played in that opening Everton game. That was the start of that 12 game unbeaten run.

The season I’m referring to is the 99-00 season, we beat Newcastle 1-0 and followed up by beating Everton 3-0.

22 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Has this game legit sold out? The official site shows every area as 'sold out'. Would there be more tickets available at the ticket office, or am I shit out of luck now?

Looks like it, they haven't opened up the trinity so have been caught short by demand.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Has this game legit sold out? The official site shows every area as 'sold out'. Would there be more tickets available at the ticket office, or am I shit out of luck now?

Yes it's sold out, apart from the upper trinity, which the club state, it was too late to open for the game. The game was heading for a sell out Thursday night, so they should have announced they would open it yesterday. There should be 36k in the ground today which is fantastic.