Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

18 minutes ago, Skruff said:

So you're saying the reason for Elmos mistake: our goalkeeper is shaky on corners, therefore he chose to lay the ball off to the opponent striker. Instead of conceding a corner? 

That doesn't make sense at all. What so ever. 

You never clear they way Elmo did. It was a headless moment and has nothing to do with who's in goal. Even if we didn't have a goalkeeper. It would be better to clear it out for a corner. If Elmo was playing alone vs Leeds, it would have been better to clear it out for a corner. 

And for those mentioning Elmo kicking the ball away so Nyland couldn't get it. For all his faults Nylands distribution has been good.  If anything  it shows how off Elmo was, clearing the ball inviting pressure, when our keeper can pick it up, slow down and distribute the ball. 

Yes Nyland isn't good enough. He had a few games where he looked to be improving. I hoped he would step up and progress from there. Sadly he did not.     We have a new keeper from January and outwards. I'm happy for that. I assume we all are. But some of the stuff thats been mentioned after the Leeds game is absolutely ridiculous. 

Defence is playing permanently in a state of panic with Nyland you don't do the basics correctly when you panic. I doubt Elmo was worried about Nylands distribution when he kicked it away from him, it was probably more a case of a Leeds player was close and Nyland cannot be trusted in those situations. 

When a defence can trust the keeper its surprising how errors like Elmos don't happen. Confidence is key and when the defence has no confidence in a keeper mistakes like Elmos happen. 

Edited by Stuartc445

5 hours ago, Skruff said:

So you're saying the reason for Elmos mistake: our goalkeeper is shaky on corners, therefore he chose to lay the ball off to the opponent striker. Instead of conceding a corner? 

That doesn't make sense at all. What so ever. 

You never clear they way Elmo did. It was a headless moment and has nothing to do with who's in goal. Even if we didn't have a goalkeeper. It would be better to clear it out for a corner. If Elmo was playing alone vs Leeds, it would have been better to clear it out for a corner. 

And for those mentioning Elmo kicking the ball away so Nyland couldn't get it. For all his faults Nylands distribution has been good.  If anything  it shows how off Elmo was, clearing the ball inviting pressure, when our keeper can pick it up, slow down and distribute the ball. 

Yes Nyland isn't good enough. He had a few games where he looked to be improving. I hoped he would step up and progress from there. Sadly he did not.     We have a new keeper from January and outwards. I'm happy for that. I assume we all are. But some of the stuff thats been mentioned after the Leeds game is absolutely ridiculous. 

You'd be surprised how much it can affect a defender if they don't trust their keeper

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

You'd be surprised how much it can affect a defender if they don't trust their keeper

Should we then argue that you'd be surprised how much it can affect a keeper when he can't trust his defence? 

Why have we not been seeing the similar mistakes done by others then Elmo? (Refresh my memory if I'm wrong)

There's plenty of sticks to beat Nyland with. This isn't one of them. 

6 hours ago, Skruff said:

Should we then argue that you'd be surprised how much it can affect a keeper when he can't trust his defence? 

Why have we not been seeing the similar mistakes done by others then Elmo? (Refresh my memory if I'm wrong)

There's plenty of sticks to beat Nyland with. This isn't one of them. 

The defence is only missing 1 player from last season, so it's practically the same but performing totally different, the only real difference is the trust it the player behind them. 

20 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

When Kalinic comes in, I’ll be glad to see the back of Nyland but I don’t think he’s been that bad. Yes, he’s made some glaring errors but at times, he’s looked half decent

What times are these? I can't only think of the save VS Derby. For a keeper to go 1 game where he's let every shot in is unacceptable but Nyland has done that twice 

1 minute ago, Stuartc445 said:

What times are these? I can't only think of the save VS Derby. For a keeper to go 1 game where he's let every shot in is unacceptable but Nyland has done that twice 

Derby was the one I was alluding to, he’s new to the country, probably hasn’t settled, let’s hope Kalinic doesn’t have these problems. From what I saw of Kalinic v England, he won’t have such problems, did anyone else see that match Croatia v England in the Nations League? If so, what is their view on Kalinic?

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Derby was the one I was alluding to, he’s new to the country, probably hasn’t settled, let’s hope Kalinic doesn’t have these problems. From what I saw of Kalinic v England, he won’t have such problems, did anyone else see that match Croatia v England in the Nations League? If so, what is their view on Kalinic?

So 1 save all season, but hey it's the defence that give him no confidence.

Where is you logic that it's his lack of trust in the defence is the problem. As has been said you'd be surprised at the amount of basic errors a defence (that is mostly unchanged from the good defence we had last season) can make when they don't trust the keeper. 

16 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

So 1 save all season, but hey it's the defence that give him no confidence.

Where is you logic that it's his lack of trust in the defence is the problem. As has been said you'd be surprised at the amount of basic errors a defence (that is mostly unchanged from the good defence we had last season) can make when they don't trust the keeper. 

I think you’re mostly correct, we have Kalinic coming in luckily so we can sell/ loan Nyland,  a keeper is the cornerstone of the defence. Having someone behind you that you can trust breeds confidence, I don’t think Nyland has been that bad but Kalinic is a different kettle of fish, he looked amazing v England, yes it’s only 1 game

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think you’re mostly correct, we have Kalinic coming in luckily so we can sell/ loan Nyland,  a keeper is the cornerstone of the defence. Having someone behind you that you can trust breeds confidence, I don’t think Nyland has been that bad but Kalinic is a different kettle of fish, he looked amazing v England, yes it’s only 1 game

In 2 games this season he let in every shot he faced (in one of those he parried it into his own net from a free kick right next to the touchline) that is indefensible for a keeper at any level of football. 

He is the worst keeper I have ever seen. 

2 minutes ago, Stuartc445 said:

In 2 games this season he let in every shot he faced (in one of those he parried it into his own net from a free kick right next to the touchline) that is indefensible for a keeper at any level of football. 

He is the worst keeper I have ever seen. 

We have Kalinic now, Smith has acted quickly to address the keeper issue, let’s hope he has some other irons in the fire

Even before the penalty save, I was going to say he has been doing well in his last two matches. His distribution will be missed if Kalinic really is as bad as I've read at kicking. 

Fantastic save Nyland. Thanks for keeping us in it. 

• Like 2

Â