Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

I accept it’s early days, new League, physicality, nerves. It is too early to judge him properly.

But he has been dreadful so far, for all people say about our defence he’s barely had a handful of shots to save, and he’s conceded half of them.

For me the key issue is ‘presence’. More essential for a keeper than anyone else, and he doesnt have any.

• Like 1

On 11/08/2018 at 09:36, Dr_Pangloss said:

Have a feeling he might be a bit of a car crash, let's hope not.

Looks like I put a curse on him.

This guy is absolutely shite, probably the worst keeper I've seen here since Enckleman and on this trajectory he could end up being worse. He has already directly cost us at least 4 goals with his errors/ weak wrists. Beyond that he has zero command over his area and totally non-existent from set pieces and crosses. Has to be dropped, Steer is better, what a ridiculous decision it was to loan him out, especially after a decent display at Hull.

• Like 1

I would add, although I’ve never kept goal, that given is unfamiliarity with this Country and League, I’m surprised he comes out with the other GK, practices with them, saves a few shots, then goes in. 

I know it’s the typical routine but couldn’t they all come out together ? Couldn’t he do some stuff with the defence early on in the warm up, couldn’t Chester etc be including him/ talk8ngbwith him .

He cuts rather an isolated figure before the game, and during !

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

I accept it’s early days, new League, physicality, nerves. It is too early to judge him properly.

But he has been dreadful so far, for all people say about our defence he’s barely had a handful of shots to save, and he’s conceded half of them.

For me the key issue is ‘presence’. More essential for a keeper than anyone else, and he doesnt have any.

Agree, would just add the word “yet” at the end.  It would have been better to play steer for a while and let this young keeper adjust to nation club and  teammates for a bit in cup and reserve matches. 

Most too early to tell if he’s got potential and throwing him the deep end has never worked for any keeper in my experience

Several of his “errors” have come from poor communication between him and the back line   That can be fixed in a series of good practice sessions   But it hasn’t been  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Agree, would just add the word “yet” at the end.  It would have been better to play steer for a while and let this young keeper adjust to nation club and  teammates for a bit in cup and reserve matches.

He's 28 next week.

Jed Steer turns 26 two weeks later.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

I would add, although I’ve never kept goal, that given is unfamiliarity with this Country and League, I’m surprised he comes out with the other GK, practices with them, saves a few shots, then goes in. 

I know it’s the typical routine but couldn’t they all come out together ? Couldn’t he do some stuff with the defence early on in the warm up, couldn’t Chester etc be including him/ talk8ngbwith him .

Speaking goalkeeperifically, I feel this is actually better.  I don't want my defence to be chummy with me, I don't even want them to like me, I just want them to be absolutely terrified of the shrieking maniac hurling a loud mixture of abuse and instructions at them from behind, lest they fail to heed said instructions and incur my fiery, headbutt-based wrath.  All the better that it's coming from a 6'4 Norseman, I say.

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

He's 28 next week.

Jed Steer turns 26 two weeks later.

A good point that is often missed.  A 27 year old keeper that has mostly played 2nd tier football all his career.  Putting a sub standard keeper like him behind an absolute wretched excuse for a defence is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

My mate pointed something similar, just before the 3rd goal he pointed out that he was giving out instructions to the defence but not one of them was listening.

1 hour ago, Risso said:

A good point that is often missed.  A 27 year old keeper that has mostly played 2nd tier football all his career.  Putting a sub standard keeper like him behind an absolute wretched excuse for a defence is a recipe for disaster.

What tier is he currently playing in?  

5 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

He's 6 foot 4 and nearly 28 years old. Not like he's some scrawny 18 year old thrown in at the deep end. He has been a pro for 11 years and only managed 150 odd games in shitkicker foreign leagues. Sorry but he is shit and shouldn't be anywhere near the first 11

Yep, plus he's Norwegian, which means he almost certainly speaks English, so no excuses for him not being able to command his area and communicate with his back line.   

Â