Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

8 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Waiting for the obligatory, "what did he do wrong?" post. Just pure gash.

I agree with Elmo costing us this game

But Nyland kept doing Nyland esque things, never leaving his line, not brave enough. Can't bloody wait for the new keeper tbh

Maybe I saw it from a bad angle, but that chance they had after we scored our first, the ball was crossed in along the floor literally towards his six yard line, and he literally just stood there and it bounced off someone and nearly went in, Elmo cleared it I think?

Why on earth didn't he go for it?, or was it a bad angle I saw and it wasn't as clear cut as I think?

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I agree with Elmo costing us this game

But Nyland kept doing Nyland esque things, never leaving his line, not brave enough. Can't bloody wait for the new keeper tbh

If we had a good keeper that 3rd goal doesn't happen.  Elmos mistake yes, but he clearly didn't want to head it out for a corner because that is Nylands weakness,  he didn't want to head it back to the keeper because he's awful so he tried to head it up field.   Last season Elmo would have headed it out for a corner because he'd have confidence Johnstone would deal with the corner.

Edited by Stuartc445

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Maybe I saw it from a bad angle, but that chance they had after we scored our first, the ball was crossed in along the floor literally towards his six yard line, and he literally just stood there and it bounced off someone and nearly went in, Elmo cleared it I think?

Why on earth didn't he go for it?, or was it a bad angle I saw and it wasn't as clear cut as I think?

That was right infront of me,  he did go for it but Elmo kicked it out of his hands which 100% proves to me the defence have probably even less confidence in him than we do.

1 minute ago, Stuartc445 said:

Elmos mistake yes, but he clearly didn't want to head it out for a corner because that is Nylands weakness,  he didn't want to head it back to the keeper because he's awful so he tried to head it up field.   Last season Elmo would have headed it out for a corner because he'd have confidence Johnstone would deal with the corner.

Haven't thought about that, but yes i've noticed that as well.

Were also an occasion where Nyland came for the ball to pick it up and Elmo kicked the ball out before Nyland catched it.

Didn’t really do much wrong today. If your right back is going to let a guy run through on goal and shoot and then provide a brilliant headed assist for the opposition you’re on a hiding to nothing. 

That said he inspires no confidence at all. I do think he’s got the best distribution of any keeper I’ve seen play for us. Can genuinely vary his kicks depending on who’s winning aerial battles at a particular point. Unfortunately not good enough at the fundamentals for this to be particularly useful. 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

What? Was no blame for any goals

I genuinely don’t see how he can be blamed for any of the three goals. The fact that some are trying to blame him for Elmo heading the perfect lay off for Roofe’s winner kind of sums up the scapegoat he’s starting to become. Not good enough but not at fault for every goal as some would have you believe. 

14 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I genuinely don’t see how he can be blamed for any of the three goals. The fact that some are trying to blame him for Elmo heading the perfect lay off for Roofe’s winner kind of sums up the scapegoat he’s starting to become. Not good enough but not at fault for every goal as some would have you believe. 

The 3rd was Elmos error but there are reasons why it happened it's simple last season he'd have headed it out for a corner because Johnstone was capable to deal with corners unlike this clown. 

1 minute ago, Stuartc445 said:

The 3rd was Elmos error but there are reasons why it happened it's simple last season he'd have headed it out for a corner because Johnstone was capable to deal with corners unlike this clown. 

Leeds had 8 corners today and scored from 1 which there was nothing nyland could do about. You’re trying to pass blame to the keeper for a horrible decision by a player who looked like his head had gone from the moment he gave away the first goal. 

I’ve already said Nyland isn’t good enough. I just don’t see the need to blame him for every goal.

19 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

Leeds had 8 corners today and scored from 1 which there was nothing nyland could do about. You’re trying to pass blame to the keeper for a horrible decision by a player who looked like his head had gone from the moment he gave away the first goal. 

I’ve already said Nyland isn’t good enough. I just don’t see the need to blame him for every goal.

No I'm not passing the blame read what I said, it was Elmos error but there is a reason for that error.  Last season that goal doesn't happen it'd have been headed out for a corner. 

Couldn't do anything about the second goal how about moving off his line, or for that matter move in general I moved more than him for that corner. 

Edited by Stuartc445

5 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

No I'm not passing the blame read what I said, it was Elmos error but there is a reason for that error.  Last season that goal doesn't happen it'd have been headed out for a corner. 

Couldn't do anything about the second goal how about moving off his line, or for that matter move in general I moved more than him for that corner. 

So you're saying the reason for Elmos mistake: our goalkeeper is shaky on corners, therefore he chose to lay the ball off to the opponent striker. Instead of conceding a corner? 

That doesn't make sense at all. What so ever. 

You never clear they way Elmo did. It was a headless moment and has nothing to do with who's in goal. Even if we didn't have a goalkeeper. It would be better to clear it out for a corner. If Elmo was playing alone vs Leeds, it would have been better to clear it out for a corner. 

And for those mentioning Elmo kicking the ball away so Nyland couldn't get it. For all his faults Nylands distribution has been good.  If anything  it shows how off Elmo was, clearing the ball inviting pressure, when our keeper can pick it up, slow down and distribute the ball. 

Yes Nyland isn't good enough. He had a few games where he looked to be improving. I hoped he would step up and progress from there. Sadly he did not.     We have a new keeper from January and outwards. I'm happy for that. I assume we all are. But some of the stuff thats been mentioned after the Leeds game is absolutely ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Â