Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

43 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

He makes me nervous. When a cross or shot comes his way and he safely deals with it, I get feelings of relief and mild surprise. I almost expect a flap or a fumble. That can't be good, feeling that way.

He dropped one first half from long range and could see his panic, luckily nobody around. Confidence is shot

• Like 1

The transition to championship/premier league can be tough for any keeper.

You see plenty of keepers getting thrown around until they adjust.

I've been supportive of Nyland. He had a few games he's were he looked sharper, more assertive. 

But he truly did look like a deer caught in the headlights on Friday. 

He seems to have a moment of doubt in every situation. It's really hampering. I agree that it does make him look like a coward. To me it looks more like mental issue then ability. 

Friday was a step back. 

Edited by Skruff

As a keeper coming for a cross, you can't allow the attacker to cut in front of you. His whole angle to the ball was wrong....he had no idea where the attacker was running and actually moved 90 degrees from his line to intercept the cross allowing Rodriguez to cut in front...yes he did handball it.....twice....but even if he hadn't, the goalie can't be so naive as to run out at 90 degrees in a situation like that.

2 hours ago, Skruff said:

The transition to championship/premier league can be tough for any keeper.

You see plenty of keepers getting thrown around until they adjust.

I've been supportive of Nyland. He had a few games he's were he looked sharper, more assertive. 

But he truly did look like a deer caught in the headlights on Friday. 

He seems to have a moment of doubt in every situation. It's really hampering. I agree that it does make him look like a coward. To me it looks more like mental issue then ability. 

Friday was a step back. 

The problem with Nyland is his poor, poor decision making at crosses and set pieces. And that's just suicide in this league.

Always looking like a nervewreck, not brave or strong enough. He reminds me how De Gea was during his first season at Man Utd, But De Gea was 18 years old at the time, Nyland is 28.

He might to ok somewhere else, but he is not fit for England if he is inable to handle something as basic like handling crosses and set pieces.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

On 09/12/2018 at 04:39, villalad21 said:

The problem with Nyland is his poor, poor decision making at crosses and set pieces. And that's just suicide in this league.

Always looking like a nervewreck, not brave or strong enough. He reminds me how De Gea was during his first season at Man Utd, But De Gea was 18 years old at the time, Nyland is 28.

He might to ok somewhere else, but he is not fit for England if he is inable to handle something as basic like handling crosses and set pieces.

De Gea was 21...just saying.

But your point is valid. I went through and quickly added up the points he's single handedly cost us this season. I think his errors have taken 4 wins and one draw from us - so 10 points. Enough to be in 2nd. And these mistakes vary from missing crosses, dropping the ball, diving the wrong way and getting beaten by a daisy cutter at your near post. A really diverse group of ways to be an absolute mess.

Any keeper who has some Championship or PL experience would be better. Heaton would be ideal, failing that I think there are very few who could be worse. 

33 minutes ago, PaddytheVillan said:

De Gea was 21...just saying.

But your point is valid. I went through and quickly added up the points he's single handedly cost us this season. I think his errors have taken 4 wins and one draw from us - so 10 points. Enough to be in 2nd. And these mistakes vary from missing crosses, dropping the ball, diving the wrong way and getting beaten by a daisy cutter at your near post. A really diverse group of ways to be an absolute mess.

Any keeper who has some Championship or PL experience would be better. Heaton would be ideal, failing that I think there are very few who could be worse. 

What really boggles my mind is, if you don't have the ability to do something as basic as catching a cross or a ball from a set piece, how have you made it to this level?

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

What really boggles my mind is, if you don't have the ability to do something as basic as catching a cross or a ball from a set piece, how have you made it to this level?

Which actually makes me think that for some reason, we are not seeing his ability.  Or we are exaggerating his inabilities.  Multiple pro managers and coaches have hired him, trained him, started him.  

My guess is that they would argue that your characterization of him is innacurate.  

He isnt perfect but the main worry I think is how shit modern goalkeeping is. Top 7 keepers in Premier League have all made basic errors in recent weeks that have cost teams goals. If the top teams cant find somebody to keep them out what chance do we have of finding a good NO.1

Edited by Zatman

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

He isnt perfect but the main worry I think is how shit modern goalkeeping is. Top 7 keepers in Premier League have all made basic errors in recent weeks that have cost teams goals. If the top teams cant find somebody to keep them out what chance do we have of finding a good NO.1

Is it a case that "modern goalkeeping is shit".

Or just that goalkeepers are human like other people/players and make errors every now and then?

Which are more highlighted an ANY other player on the pitch for obvious reasons?

Â