Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

56 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

I once spoke to Enckleman years after and he privately admitted that he wilted under the pressure of the derby, he went as far as to say it was like a “state of shock”. 

Privately eh? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

I’ve held back saying this’ll up until now but I think he is a coward.

That's exactly the word to sum him up! I watched tonight and all the time I thought to myself "FFS, grow a pair of balls and get stuck in like keeper's are supposed to". 

He had a flap at an early cross. He had a basic shot rebound off him. There was a ball over-hit where Elmo is basically having to scream at him to deal with it, which he eventually did. He's just a calamity in goal. 

I blame him wholeheartedly for the second goal and also apportion blame to him for the first. Yes, Hutton could have done better. Yes, Chester looked at Gayle three times and still had no idea where he was. But, Nyland saw exactly where Gayle was, started to go out to meet him as the cross was made, then stopped and got beat whilst virtually on his line. If he continued to go out to Gayle he would have narrowed the angle and probably blocked the shot. But, as you said Trent, he's a coward and bottled it. 

Without doubt, he's the worst Villa keeper I have ever seen. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was ok today but his obvious weakness was there too see. I think we all know he can’t cut it in this league but he is our keeper until January. So pointless debating his same weakness over and over again. It’s not going to change. 

He really wasn't ok today. I think he saved one decent shot all game. Everything else he did looked awkward and nervy. The guy looks like a teenage debutant every game! 

There was even a point where Taylor was out-jumped by Gayle at the back post and even he, as average as he is, gave Nyland a bollocking. That was either because he didn't get a warning that Gayle was there or for not coming for the cross. 

Nyland is shocking and the quicker he's replaced the less nervous our defenders will be! 

1 hour ago, djdabush said:

Thought he was fine today but his inability to command the box means that I can't see him ever becoming a reliable keeper for us. Let's hope we can get Heaton in or if not that we recall Steer.

If even welcome Cutler between the sticks if it meant Nyland not being there! 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Giving him abuse is ridiculous and really winds me up when I see it on here. Thankfully it’s died down. 

Sadly that is the way football is now. I see amateur players get abused FFS

• Like 2

I thought he actually had a better game today(last goal aside), and was better than at Middlesbrough where he looked very flappy IMO. I still don't rate him anywhere near good enough though.

I'm convinced his issues are mostly mental, i'd like to see him put on two/three stone just to see if it makes him believe he's going to win the ball or at least that he can clear out his man on the way through.

I don't believe Nyland is our long term keeper and what most have said is true, but he's not to blame for the loss today. It's easy to read into situations after the fact it's another to make decisions in real time. I've seen world class keepers do exactly the same as him for the first goal, and he should have been better physically in the second goal, he reacted too late. But doesn't take away from the fact in the second goal that the WB player pulled the ball with arm away from Nyland ( deliberate hand ball) and then hand balled again on the ground. We should have killed off the game could have had 4-5 goals. I don't see the purpose of hammering Nyland each game, we need to get behind him until the manager decides otherwise.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, villarocker said:

He really wasn't ok today. I think he saved one decent shot all game. Everything else he did looked awkward and nervy. The guy looks like a teenage debutant every game! 

There was even a point where Taylor was out-jumped by Gayle at the back post and even he, as average as he is, gave Nyland a bollocking. That was either because he didn't get a warning that Gayle was there or for not coming for the cross. 

Nyland is shocking and the quicker he's replaced the less nervous our defenders will be! 

I think we’ve all started comparing him with his own performances. He’s standard has been very low which is why today’s performance seems ok. 

But I agree with you. It isn’t anywhere near good enough 

The goalkeeping equivalent of Ashley Westwood. He is a decent shotstopper but being petrified of contact is not a good trait for a keeper. 

He will be targeted more and more as the season goes on and as neither Chester or Axel are particularly dominate in the air that is a big worry. 

There are a few positions that need Improvements but if I could only pick one, this would be it. 

He makes me nervous. When a cross or shot comes his way and he safely deals with it, I get feelings of relief and mild surprise. I almost expect a flap or a fumble. That can't be good, feeling that way.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

He makes me nervous. When a cross or shot comes his way and he safely deals with it, I get feelings of relief and mild surprise. I almost expect a flap or a fumble. That can't be good, feeling that way.

Exactly how I feel too

Â