Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

49 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

Seems odd he’s not met Bruce yet

I thought he said that too but I think he might have meant the owners he didnt meet. but strange if hasnt met Bruce

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

So I guess Steer or Bunn to be sold as I can't see why we would have 4 senior goalkeepers?

Doubly baffling as we don't even have 2 senior central defenders! 

16 minutes ago, JoeParker91 said:

Has there been any fee quoted at all, I know a lot of transfers go through as undisclosed but there's normally a good idea of how much a player cost?

Around 700k is what I've read, decent price if so. I've seen him play for the national team a few times, always looked a decent keeper to me if not spectacular. Can pull off some great saves but also has the odd error or poor positioning ect in him. Feel a bit sorry for Steer who I thought would get the chance at no.1 this season, but will find it way harder now. Still he has the chance though ofc, and competition is good, but Nyland should be in the best position to make the position his to loose.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, trom_borg said:

Around 700k is what I've read, decent price if so. I've seen him play for the national team a few times, always looked a decent keeper to me if not spectacular. Can pull off some great saves but also has the odd error or poor positioning ect in him. Feel a bit sorry for Steer who I thought would get the chance at no.1 this season, but will find it way harder now. Still he has the chance though ofc, and competition is good, but Nyland should be in the best position to make the position his to loose.

Thanks, I’ve not seen him play so nice to hear your opinion. Is he the kind of keeper that really organises his defence (shouts at them)? As I think that’s something we were lacking with the younger and more inexperienced keepers (Steer and even Johnstone).

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Thanks, I’ve not seen him play so nice to hear your opinion. Is he the kind of keeper that really organises his defence (shouts at them)? As I think that’s something we were lacking with the younger and more inexperienced keepers (Steer and even Johnstone).

From what I remember he's usually quite vocal when playing with the national team, how well he actually is at organizing I'm not sure though. But he should offer some more experience than Steer at least. Will be very interesting to see if he can bring his best game more consistently, if so he'll be a good capture for us I think.

• Like 1

Not such a fan but not terrible. Very decent for the amount but I haven't seen him play much the last two years. Was the most highly rated keeper here and imo deserved 2-3 years ago. Jarstein overtook that as he got into a better form when he went too Hertha Berlin.

My mate is a Norwegian football expert (true story). Says he was good at Molde but "has only ever really done it in Norway". He claims he is a "confidence keeper" but can be prone to errors.

For me a three year deal seems excessive under the circumstances, and I don't think we've significantly enhanced our keeping options. That said, I wish him well.

I have no idea who Bruce thinks is the number 1 keeper now. Its a shame because Johnstone looked so settled in the position and we couldn't keep him.  Perhaps Bruce does not think Steer can keep fit all season, does not rate Bunn, and Moirera is here to get the experience. How he will get experience if he doesn't play I don't know. I guess Nyland and Steer are the 2 fighting for the starting place, but I don't know.

Steer has spent much of the last 2 years injured. Nasty injury too. To go into the season with him as first choice may go well but to rely on him doing 40+ games with only Bunn and an untried kid in reserve would not be all that sensible.

Wonder if Johnstone would have stayed/come back if he new we would be in the position of signing him now rather then going to the tesco bags before our new owners turned up? Reckon he might have, shame. Still good luck to this guy, hopefully gets his confidence up and is as good or better than Johnstone

Edited by honest_bertie

3 minutes ago, honest_bertie said:

Wonder if Johnstone would have stayed/come back if he new we would be in the position of signing him now rather then going to the tesco bags before our new owners turned up? Reckon he might have, shame. Still good luck to this guy, hopefully gets his confidence up and is as good or better than Johnstone

Probably would have done. West Brom are in the same position as we are, they just did their business early (*cough* Levy *cough*). 

Has Nyland definitely got the no 1 shirt? Can't find anything. I suspect Steer to be in goal on Saturday but I don't think it will take Nyland long to displace. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VILLAMARV said:

Official now

Thanks. He has definitely been brought in to be first choice then. Saturday will be exceptionally telling as to how much Bruce rates Steer. 

With Jed Steer out on loan to Charlton, looks like Nyland will be chucked straight in tomorrow. Good luck to him ? show is what you’re made of. 

Bruce said that he has been after him for the last 4 years, so he must rate him. He said ‘we’ so probably linked to that Stan Ternant fella who came in recently. 

Edited by villan-scott
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, villan-scott said:

With Jed Steer out on loan to Charlton, looks like Nyland will be chucked straight in tomorrow. Good luck to him ? show is what you’re made of. 

Bruce said that he has been after him for the last 4 years, so he must rate him. He said ‘we’ so probably linked to that Stan Ternant fella who came in recently. 

I understood it as the club have been after him for 4 years not Bruce ?

Â