• Grealish
    • Kodjia
    • Green (Adomah 67)
    • Hepburn-Murphy (Kodjia 77)
    • Bjarnason (Grealish 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/08/18 at 13:00

9 minutes ago, peterms said:

Strolling is his style.  The comment about fear of injury seems unfair.  He got stuck in on several occasions, to the point where I thought he was being reckless, as a player awaiting a move.

To be honest I missed the first 20 minutes so it must have happened them. He didn’t seem himself to me. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

A poor performance overall yet strangely we were completely comfortable throughout, even after going behind.

It was also nice of Hull to keep turning the ball over to us 30 yards from their own goal

• Like 1

First game of the season can always be a bit of a lottery, and can throw up unexpected results. Happy to have come through it with 3 points on the board. Hopefully with some additions to the squad the form, style and fitness will build as the season progresses.

• Like 1

Not the best game of footy, but a vital 3 points. Good start to the season. We played ok at times, and were very slow at times. This win will give us a big boost. Wigan next, and I expect a win. Hope we can keep Grealish .

I have to say, I thought Hull passed it well at times, the lad Bowen in the middle is a decent player. 

Feared the worst after 9 minutes but thought Steer grew into the game and made a couple of great saves to keep us in it. 

Elphick, despite his goal, was poor.

Elmo and Hutton took their goals really well  

Kodja is miles off the pace at the moment  

Green and Hepburn-Murphy looked good coming off the bench. 

I thought Bruce managed the game well and hopefully we’ll get the right additions.

Jack was Jack. Like others have said, I really hope I was looking for something that wasn’t there, but his wave as he went off, just not sure you wave? Just clap as you get subbed normally as you go off don’t you? I don’t know, but it’s gonna be a stressful couple of days. 

UTV

• Sad 1

First game of the season is always a funny one so happy we got three points.

Personally, I think Elphick will get better with a run in the side and I was quite happy with Steer as well. Taylor frightens me and needs changing quickly. I’ve no real concerns over our defence though.

i still think we need a really creative player who can turn a game and do it regularly. 

Kodja was dreadful and looked as though he couldn’t care and while I think Albert looked as though he cared a bit more, he was just as bad.

Good to see the youngsters getting a run and hopefully they can step up now as we really need them.

I’ve accepted it will never be pretty in this league and while I love the way games keep coming, we need to go up and I don’t care how we do it. If we have to win ugly all season then bring it on.

As for Jack, we’ll who knows. I still don’t think he turns it on enough but I hope we keep him.

it would be great to get off to a flyer for once and give ourselves a chance from the off but this is Villa so we could easily be bottom by September.

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I can’t remember any wreckless challenges. I remember a few on him. 

Yes, lots on him, but also him putting in some full-blooded challenges which were not strictly necessary, in my view.  I appeeciated that.

• Like 2

It’s scary how much a clogging championship game that looked. No reason we can’t be in the mix up at he end of the season but the result was the only positive from that performance.

Not sure how much longer we have to wait for Kodija to get his act together to be honest, he’s been poor for ages now.

27 minutes ago, Mantis said:

16/17 - first game defeat, mid-table finish

17/18 - first game draw, play-offs

18/19 - first game victory, ???

Relegation ?

That's a cracking result. 

What worried me somewhat was that the team spirit may have been damaged a bit with a few big characters leaving, the Wembley final loss and the financial and ownership shenanigans. 

Well, the character is still there. Where your center forward has a game like that and you still win with 3 goals from defenders, it's heartening. 

We've still got that Bruce steel that I have grown to admire. We need it now more than ever. 

It wasn't an excellent performance, but given the circumstances, I'm delighted. Hull perhaps will not be the most difficult away game we'll face this season, it could well be one of the most important. 

Let's build some momentum now, I'm going on Saturday, now I'm excited about it. 

• Like 4

Two points more than we picked up at Hull last season and the chance to make a very good start to this season and to get into a winning habit. We got an important first win with the players we had tonight and reinforcements that are on their way can improve us. Came back from a goal down showing more than a bit of character in doing so. We have a 100% record at this early point of the season let's try to keep it for a few weeks or even for a couple of months.

38 minutes ago, villatillidie1980 said:

I have to say, I thought Hull passed it well at times, the lad Bowen in the middle is a decent player. 

Feared the worst after 9 minutes but thought Steer grew into the game and made a couple of great saves to keep us in it. 

Elphick, despite his goal, was poor.

Elmo and Hutton took their goals really well  

Kodja is miles off the pace at the moment  

Green and Hepburn-Murphy looked good coming off the bench. 

I thought Bruce managed the game well and hopefully we’ll get the right additions.

Jack was Jack. Like others have said, I really hope I was looking for something that wasn’t there, but his wave as he went off, just not sure you wave? Just clap as you get subbed normally as you go off don’t you? I don’t know, but it’s gonna be a stressful couple of days. 

UTV

I don't rate him at all. I still maintain he cost RDM his job

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Think Sky gave Elmo MOTD as he scored the winner. Personally for me, until Green came on he showed he isn’t a winger but has attributes as a wing back. 

They gave him it because he got an assist as well?

Â