U23 Development League 2018/2019

BOF

I went to this one. Interesting game - firstly, I didn't think we were the better side, but we were mentally very strong.

I need to disagree with SGC on a couple of bits - I thought we played a 4-1-2-1-2 with O'Hare behind Mooney and Knibbs. That meant our width needed to come from the full backs and I thought that whilst they both tried hard at it, Jake Walker struggled to balance that and his defensive duties and we were attacked an awful lot in the first half down our right hand side. Revan looked decent at left back and I like Bazely-Graham in the middle; he's got a touch of aggression to his game and he's a battler. Bedeau is that bit classier and gets extra points for a running style that looks like he's stalking his man - it's a little reminiscent of Ugo's run; head forward, arms dropped in front of him, crouched and approaching his prey. Anyways - he defended well and continues to look like he'll grow into a player.

Credit to O'Hare - he's been out a long time but he was an absolute bag of energy today - popping up here, there and everywhere in his free role - and though nothing quite fell for him he was always after the ball, always making runs and always looking to make things happen. The injury does not appear to have taken anything from the player.

Jordan Lyden played sensibly in the middle of the park and did well when he dropped into the back line - he's an odd one, he's been in the reserves too long and he's good enough to be playing somewhere. Doyle-Hayes didn't look quite as crisp as I've seen him before, Jack Clarke looks good on the ball but occasionally makes the wrong decision - he's young and will come good I'm sure. Mooney and Knibbs struggled manfully without really getting on top of Fulham's centre halves.

Fulham's centre halves were good I thought - I was thinking that when one of them got very out of shape from a cross and from his positioning you could see he was going to put it past his own keeper the second it left the wingers boot. A slo-mo kerfuffle of legs and brain.

I thought Sarkic was impressive - he made some very good last ditch saves, he was good at organising his defence and he's put a bit of muscle on, I thought he looked much more mature. I was thinking that when he decided to go all Allison and try and dribble around that forward who took it off him and gleefully tucked it home.

At that point, I thought Fulham would go on and win it - they'd been on top for the first hour or so - but we scored against the run of play and the goal seemed to both settle us and rattle them - they never really threatened again after it. Fair play to Jordan Cox who deserved it for a nice cameo of direct attacking play.

Other than that, the only things I have to report are that I sat behind Mitchell Clark and his (lovely) girlfriend - he's on loan at Port Vale and seems to be enjoying it, although he does appear to have upset Tranmere's fans somehow. I'd know more about that but my hearing's terrible. Oh and Sam Lomax the mystery keeper who's in the U23's squads this season is seven foot three. At least.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Excellent summary OBE - I was confused at first - I thought Revan was a CB and Bazeley-Graham a RB. nice to know we have some players can look OK out of position !!

Always have had a high opinion of Bedeau - he must have something to warrant a 900k fee

Have just checked a couple of Tranmere forums -  Mitch is not mentioned specifically - but the PV coach used to  manage Tranmere. 

Edited by SirSteveUK

Wolves go top with a 2-0 win v Newcastle.  Stoke and Boro drew 1-1 in midtable.  Big weekend coming up with games on Friday. Saturday, Sunday & Monday.

50 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Looks like Mooney has gone out on loan to Cheltenham?

You'd hope he can do well at the tail end of League Two. As long as he can get the service. Presumably means a promotion to U23 for Dimitri Sea as well. 

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

How’s Bedeau doing? Could he be the cb to step up?

I think he could be, he’s so good, calm and composed on the ball, one of those defenders that are so good that you barely notice him, I mean that positively

Edited by sir_gary_cahill
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Very good, you should’ve seen him at centre back on Saturday for the u18s, he was immense

He looked pretty reasonable at left back in the game too - he seems to be a decent size, athletic and not scared to be on the ball - he's a bit green and strays a bit from time to time, but that's stuff he can work on.

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

He looked pretty reasonable at left back in the game too - he seems to be a decent size, athletic and not scared to be on the ball - he's a bit green and strays a bit from time to time, but that's stuff he can work on.

Agreed, he’s a good talent

Revan's an interesting one.  17 years old (albeit a fortnight from 18) with a goal and an assist from defence in the last 2 games.  Certainly bodes well for him and us.