U23 Development League 2018/2019

BOF

After the game, I wondered back to the train station only to find that the next train would be in 45 minutes. So I went back to the ground and stalked the players/officials as they left. Dave Hughes gave me a wave, which was nice.

Overheard a conversation that we’ve got Southampton in the play-off on Friday at St Marys.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stats updated.  A new name in the squad for this one.  Left winger/midfielder Jaden Philogene-Bidace came on for Vassilev in the 81st minute.

Elsewhere, Southampton's 5-1 thumping of Sunderland and Reading's 2-1 defeat to Stoke puts the Saints 2nd and means we will play them in the playoff semi.

League leaders Wolves were 2-0 down at Man United with 9 minutes to go, before an own goal and 2 goals in the last 3 minutes rescued the match and their season.  Failure to win would have seen Southampton make an unlikely jump from 3rd to 1st on the final day.  Newcastle took care of bidness and will face Reading in the other semi.

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

That'll be a tricky tie as most of us want a smattering of that reserve side on the first team bench on Sunday.

True. I'd still prioritise their semi though. Sitting on the first team bench needs no energy as they're just making up the numbers. 

So, tomorrow ...

We've done the double over Southampton this season.
1-0 at their place in September courtesy of a Jack Clarke winner from a Blackett-Taylor assist
and
2-1 at our place in December where we, ahem, scored all 3 goals.  A Luke Ige own goal giving Southampton the lead before Hepburn-Murphy equalised and Jack Clarke once again popped up with a 90th minute winner from an Odutayo assist.

What's interesting is how our team has evolved from that first meeting in September until now.  Also that according to the soccerway website, we used 3 different systems in our 2 Southampton matches and our most recent game v WBA.  4-2-3-1, 4-1-4-1 & 4-3-3 respectively.

7 of the side who started in September also started the return game in December.
Sarkic, Bazeley-Graham, Bedeau, Rowe, Walker, Clarke & Hepburn-Murphy.

The 4 from the first leg who dropped out were
Revan, Blackett-Taylor, Doyle-Hayes & O'Hare being replaced by Ige, Cox, Prosser & Knibbs.

Only 4 of the December team started our most recent draw against West Brom on Monday.
Sarkic, Bazeley-Graham, Walker & Clarke, although Revan from the September game came back into the starting line-up.

The NKOTB are
Suliman*, Brunt, Ramsey, Vassilev, Archer & Pressley.

I think we're a weaker team on paper than we were when we had the likes of Bedeau, O'Hare & Hepburn-Murphy to call upon, but then others like Revan & Ramsey have started to emerge as potential stars, so fingers crossed we can make it a treble.

All of this assumes Smith won't call upon the better players to fill out the first team bench on Sunday, but all noises from that department seem to suggest that won't be happening.

* hardly 'new' :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/04/2019 at 20:59, BOF said:

True. I'd still prioritise their semi though. Sitting on the first team bench needs no energy as they're just making up the numbers. 

It’s still good experience for the young players just to be in and around the first team

It's interesting - we've had a big strip out of the 21-22 year olds, got rid of Hughes and moved to a younger group. You can see it in this game where I think Southampton look better and more developed on the evidence I've seen so far - but for us, it might indicate a future that's different - this year we've stopped investing in our 20-22 year olds and moved to our 18-19 year olds and I have a feeling that the interests of the club are in age groups younger than that. The focus us certainly changing. Tonight will be good experience for this group.

37 minutes ago, SirSteveUK said:

PL2 playoff game live on saintsfc - simple signup

1-0 down 7 mins penalty

Thanks for that.

Working for me without signing up though.

4 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Thanks for that.

Working for me without signing up though.

And me but I forgot this match and only saw the last 5 minutes of the first half, is Walker playing left back? I don’t think I’ve ever seen him play there

Edited by sir_gary_cahill