U23 Development League 2018/2019

BOF

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 14:11, SirSteveUK said:

Exactly - people seem to ignore the fact that we already have a team that plays well. Villa should build up from the U23 - not down from the 1st XI.

Let's have none of those anarchic thoughts on here please. The club are quite capable of spending zillions on overpriced underperforming imports, many of whom don't even need to play to confirm their justification to earn their massive salaries. If we even started thinking that some of the youngsters (young at U23 ?) might be better options it could end up in total chaos you know.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, spineynorman said:

If we even started thinking that some of the youngsters (young at U23 ?) might be better options it could end up in total chaos you know.

U 23 is a misnomer - as far as Villa are concerned - here is the current age group breakdown:-

22 - 1 player - out on loan (Lyden)

21 -  3 players (Sarkic, Taylor & McKirdy) 

20 - 7 players (inc 2 out on loan)

19 - 12 players (inc 2 out on loan)

18 - 4 players (incl 3 of our first choice U23 defence) 

17 - 10 players (several of whom have made the U23 bench)

16 - 1 player (sub GK in the recent BSC match v Coleshill Town - 17 tomorrow) 

The average age of the team that destroyed Bristol City was just over 19 - yet theoretically Grealish is still qualified to play. !!

Edited by SirSteveUK
edit

Is it just our club where "youngsters" have come to be regarded with such suspicion by certain managers rather than encouraged and given a chance ? I suppose someone will produce stats that show average ages are falling or something like that but it seems to me that we rarely regard anyone under the age of about 24 as "ready" for the first team (with very occasional exceptions like Grealish and maybe Green). Given my view that the current crop are actually pretty reasonable footballers, I would like someone to demonstrate to me that Taylor / Hutton etc are a better bet than say the odd outing by Clark (though he could fill in elsewhere where I believe we may have been short recently) or Bjarnasson / Whelan compared to Doyle Hayes or Hourihane / Adomah / Lansbury (remember him) compared to O'Hare, just as an occasional outing so as not to scare people. We got to the position last season as I recall where Keinan D was only selected because, short of asking someone from the crowd to fill in, we had no strikers left to pick. If I was an U23 winger, I would look at the three wingers we have in our first team squad and see none of them picked and think my future might well need to be somewhere else so I ask the question, is there a point in having an U23 team ?

• Like 2

I've decided to incorporate the Birmingham Senior Cup results etc into the front page.  The stats will be as complete as we can get them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

BOF

I think the following are new young players :

Cameron Archer
Harrison Sohna
Charlie Farr
Myles Sohna
Brad Burton

i think Brad was on the bench for the BSC game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1