U23 Development League 2018/2019

BOF

I have no experience with watching under 23's but I am interested in seeing them develop.

It strikes me its all about technique and ball playing, which is great, but teams invariably are benevolent with space and there is little physical contact, which is so prevalent at first team level.

but I am happy to be corrected here.

When many academy players step up, they invariably seem lightweight....Which brings me on to the importance of being loaned out, to get the rudiments, timings and tactics of that contact side of the game.

Its so difficult now to come in from the academy and so crucial to be loaned out, to get that vital experience.

I love the little fella O'Hare....but he needs first team games, even at DIV 1 level to turn him in to a Bradley Dack, who he reminds me of....except Bradley is seasoned now and can resist being pulled around.

looking forward to Callum emulating him.

Edited by TRO

24 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have no experience with watching under 23's but I am interested in seeing them develop.

It strikes me its all about technique and ball playing, which is great, but teams invariably are benevolent with space and there is little physical contact, which is so prevalent at first team level.

but I am happy to be corrected here.

When many academy players step up, they invariably seem lightweight....Which brings me on to the importance of being loaned out, to get the rudiments, timings and tactics of that contact side of the game.

Its so difficult now to come in from the academy and so crucial to be loaned out, to get that vital experience.

I love the little fella O'Hare....but he needs first team games, even at DIV 1 level to turn him in to a Bradley Dack, who he reminds me of....except Bradley is seasoned now and can resist being pulled around.

looking forward to Callum emulating him.

I can see that comparison between O’Hare and Hare, both in the way they look and play

Anyone can go to these u18s or u23s matches, they are not an exclusive club that you have to be part of, more the merrier, every player has to start somewhere

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Unused Sub said:

Just trying to piece together the game from twitter as no reports available as of yet.

Looks like McConnachie came on as sub (replacing who?) to especially to take the (winning!) penalty.

If so, well done that chap!

Yeah I've updated my stats on FP with Odutayo, Ige & McConnachie coming on with Sinisalo & Guy unused.  Probably best to wait until the OS does their match report.  Hopefully not too long to wait for it.

Slovakian midfielder, Jozef Pastorek, made his first appearance of the season getting 11 minutes at the end after replacing Jacob Ramsay.

The only negative I suppose for us is the 2 teams immediately below us both won last night, and we occupy the final playoff place. 

Newcastle 3-2 Stoke City
Sunderland 1-3 Middlesbrough

• Thanks 2

From the Birmingham FA twitter: draw for the quarter-finals – last years finalists Hednesford. A tough draw to say the least.

As we’re getting down to the business end of the competition, lets have a bit of background to the tie. It will be the 5th time we’ve been drawn against them in the BSC.

Our first £1000 signing George Reeves bagged 5 in a 9-0 semi-final win in 1909.

The following year the teams met again, Villa winning by 5-0.

Fast forward 84 years for the next time clash, a 2-1 Hednesford win in the 4th round (Quarter-Final).

The teams met again in the next season (1994-95) in the 4th round. This time Villa went through at the second time of asking. A 3-3 draw, followed by 2-1 win in the replay. Chris Boden and Ricky Scimeca (playing up front) scoring the goals to take us through.

DtLb50dWwAA16oL.jpg

• Thanks 1