André Moreira

Tomaszk

13 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Clean sheet & penalty save = he's shit...

giphy.gif

Did you see the game?

He did some good things, including the penalty save.

But he did a lot of bad things too. He flapped at a number of crosses, he shakily dealt with some high balls that he got away with, he had a simple gather at the feet of a striker which he bottled out of, he messed up numerous kicks including one which nearly led to a goal, he came rushing out of his box into no man's land.

It's one game, so it's entirely possible he improves and becomes really good for us. I obviously hope he does.
But performances can't always be judged on stats. If Mark Bunn had a game like that then this place would be in meltdown.

He was shite. Let's hope it was debut nerves and he settles down and improves.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Did you see the game?

I saw the game, His sole job as a keeper is to try and keep the score at 0, He managed that in his first appearance despite some issues and a defence made up of useless strangers

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Did you see the game?

But he did a lot of bad things too. He flapped at a number of crosses, he shakily dealt with some high balls that he got away with, he had a simple gather at the feet of a striker which he bottled out of, he messed up numerous kicks including one which nearly led to a goal, he came rushing out of his box into no man's land.

It's one game, so it's entirely possible he improves and becomes really good for us. I obviously hope he does.
But performances can't always be judged on stats. If Mark Bunn had a game like that then this place would be in meltdown.

To be fair, I vaguely recall seeing De Gea's debut for United and thought he would be shite.

Not that I'm directly comparing the two, but I think goalkeepers in particular get better with age.

Doesn't really help us obviously given that he's here for 12 months

Just now, LakotaDakota said:

I saw the game, His sole job as a keeper is to try and keep the score at 0, He managed that in his first appearance despite some issues and a defence made up of useless strangers

As I said above, you can't judge a performance on stats alone. We didn't concede. Fine. He deserves some credit.

But justb ecause Yeovil, a League 2 team, didn't punish some of his mistakes doesn't mean they weren't mistakes. That's an incredibly blinkered way of looking at it.

Just now, bannedfromHandV said:

To be fair, I vaguely recall seeing De Gea's debut for United and thought he would be shite.

I've already acknowledged that he could improve, and I hope he does, absolutely. I am in no way writing this guy off. I'm merely commenting on last night's performance.

Though it's dangerous to keep citing De Gea. Just because one world class keeper had a shaky start and came through it doesn't mean everyone will.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I've already acknowledged that he could improve, and I hope he does, absolutely. I am in no way writing this guy off. I'm merely commenting on last night's performance.

Though it's dangerous to keep citing De Gea. Just because one world class keeper had a shaky start and came through it doesn't mean everyone will.

Sorry, hadn't read back to see it's already been used as an example.

I'm not having a go either, I agree with you, outside of the penalty save he looked pretty bloody dodgy.

There was a 2-3 minute period in the first half where he seemed to completely lose his head for some reason.

22 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I nearly had a heart attack with that one on one. He just didn't look confident coming out at all. Luckily Zebe was there to mop up.

But he stopped it..  a lot of other keepers could have given a penalty away rushing out or got rounded. He stood his ground.. made himself big and stopped the striker legally. Yes a defender had to help out but thats what its all about. He delayed the striker until help came in. 

I saw some bad signs in his game but for me that was not one. 

Penalty save - lets face it.. that was a pretty shit shot.. but at least he went the right way. I hate when keepers guess/dive early and give them an easy goal. 

The chip kick that went to their striker was awful.. but miskicks can happen. Lets see if it continues to occur. I thought his kicking was quite good until he lost a bit of confidence and it got worse as the game went on. 

One cross he flapped at was a bit of a concern too.

Mixed bag from me. Looks like a good shot stopper. He is still only 22 in a new country etc.. i wish people just gave our players more chances than they get. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KSV said:

But he stopped it..  a lot of other keepers could have given a penalty away rushing out or got rounded. He stood his ground.. made himself big and stopped the striker legally. Yes a defender had to help out but thats what its all about. He delayed the striker until help came in. 

He didn't stop it though.

That's like saying Karius had stopped it if someone had cleared that fluffed shot from Bale off the line in the Champions League Final.

Just because Tuanzebe was there to save his blushes doesn't mean it was suddenly a good save. He was extremely lucky the striker didn't have a tap in.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

If you watched the game and think he played well then I'm sorry but you don't know anything about judging a goalkeeper. He was poor (at best).

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I thought he was **** awful.

Kudos on the penalty save, but he looked nervous, poor in the air, bad at kicking, hesitant, and lacking courage.

I'm shocked by anyone suggesting he looked "confident" or "commanding". He looked anything but.

Let's not forget though how shite Johnstone looked when we first signed him.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Let's not forget though how shite Johnstone looked when we first signed him.

Yep, I'm not forgetting it.

None of my comments are on Moreira's ability as a whole. They are solely on Tuesday's game.

I'm sure he can and will improve.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep, I'm not forgetting it.

None of my comments are on Moreira's ability as a whole. They are solely on Tuesday's game.

I'm sure he can and will improve.

Yeah. The good thing about going through is we get to see him again in next round to see if it was a one off or if he is a capable keeper. He looks like he has potential.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

If you watched the game and think he played well then I'm sorry but you don't know anything about judging a goalkeeper. He was poor (at best).

I dodn't say he was brilliant but he is a young keeper playing his first game in a different country with a completely changed team made up mostly of kids & reserves in front of him. At the end of the game the score read Yeovil 0 meaning he did his job in keeping the ball out of the net.

People slating him after 1 game where he didn't concede a goal and saved a penalty isn't really going to achieve anything is it

Edited by LakotaDakota

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

I dodn't say he was brilliant but he is a young keeper playing his first game in a different country with a completely changed team made up mostly of kids & reserves in front of him. At the end of the game the score read Yeovil 0 meaning he did his job in keeping the ball out of the net.

People slating him after 1 game where he didn't concede a goal and saved a penalty isn't really going to achieve anything is it

all we can do is judge the one game he played, where he was poor. he's just getting honest comments about his one performance...no one is writing the guy off, so lets all settle down eh

15 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He didn't stop it though.

That's like saying Karius had stopped it if someone had cleared that fluffed shot from Bale off the line in the Champions League Final.

Just because Tuanzebe was there to save his blushes doesn't mean it was suddenly a good save. He was extremely lucky the striker didn't have a tap in.

So if a keeper saves a shot back into play.. and it gets cleared by a defender before the opposition.. that's not a stop?  

Think your being harsh. It wasn't a clean stop as such but he did enough to put the striker off. Its a 1 on 1 chance.. a bit different comparing a shot that was badly fumbled. Most 1 on 1's you would back the striker. Like I said he could have easily brought him down.. gave away a pen and a straight red. He stayed big and put the striker off.  

8 hours ago, KSV said:

So if a keeper saves a shot back into play.. and it gets cleared by a defender before the opposition.. that's not a stop?  

Think your being harsh. It wasn't a clean stop as such but he did enough to put the striker off. Its a 1 on 1 chance.. a bit different comparing a shot that was badly fumbled. Most 1 on 1's you would back the striker. Like I said he could have easily brought him down.. gave away a pen and a straight red. He stayed big and put the striker off.  

Yes of course that's a stop. That's a COMPLETELY different scenario. In that scenario the keeper has diverted the ball away from goal. In this scenario the keeper has come out, bottled it, let the ball go through his legs and left the striker with an open goal, if it wasn't for a defender saving his blushes.

It was an awful attempt at a stop.

Like I said above, if Mark Bunn had done that then everyone would be going mental. It was dreadful.

Â