');
PieFacE

Tactics for the 2018/2019 Season

I guess our tactics are still unanswered.

Honestly if we were to appoint a new manager I would like us to adopt the high pressing, high tempo style of play. 

Interestingly enough when I was watching All or nothing, Pepe seemed to be terrified by Liverpool because of their style of play (Gegenpress) and he struggled to see how his team can defend against that style.

Currently it appears to be a style that is considered exciting and hard to defend against.

Maybe one day we will be fortunate enough to see some style to the way we play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I guess our tactics are still unanswered.

Honestly if we were to appoint a new manager I would like us to adopt the high pressing, high tempo style of play. 

Interestingly enough when I was watching All or nothing, Pepe seemed to be terrified by Liverpool because of their style of play (Gegenpress) and he struggled to see how his team can defend against that style.

Currently it appears to be a style that is considered exciting and hard to defend against.

Maybe one day we will be fortunate enough to see some style to the way we play.

McGinn reminds me of Milner and I think he would work in the CM jack-of-all-trades position Milner worked in.

That would give us..........Hourihane                   Grealish

McGinn

• Like 1

Think that against most teams in this league, especially at home we would get away with playing only 4 dedicated defensive outfield players and having:

McGinn        Hourihne

Grealish

Bolaisie                               El Ghazi

Abraham

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Tactics 😂

Yeah, it's more formations really.

Tactics entail attention to detail, clear individual instructions as well as team instructions, movement patterns and loads and loads of things we seem to lack.

Can't even get Grealish to roll up his socks ffs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The big question is how much of our awful football is down to Bruce and how much is down to our coaching team. 

They are two of the same, are they not? 

• Like 1

I much preferred the tactics of last night to be honest. I think you just give yourself every chance of winning the game.

Yes, all in all, I think the tactic of "putting owour boots on" was far more successful than our other tactic of "not putting owour boots on"

Keep it up Brucie!

It's mind boggling how bad this league is. Even though we have played poorly in nearly every game, with a makeshift CB and people out of position, with no discernable tactics and Inconsistent results, we are still only 2 points off 2nd place. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

Think that against most teams in this league, especially at home we would get away with playing only 4 dedicated defensive outfield players and having:

McGinn        Hourihne

Grealish

Bolaisie                               El Ghazi

Abraham

My problem with this is where do the goals come from?  Abraham will score a load - but the other 5 would (I think) struggle to score 20-25 goals between them.  But a front 2 of Abraham and Kodjia would almost certainly be looking at 40-50 goals between them.  I know that 4-4-2 is frowned upon by many these days as "un-sophisticated" or "old-fashioned" but for me 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 depending on how you describe it only works when you have wide players like Hazard, Ronaldo, etc who are going to score 20 odd goals on their own.  I don't think we have that type of wide player - we have more traditional wingers.  So for me I would prefer:

Bolasie                                 McGinn                                           Grealish                                        El Ghazi

Abraham                                             Kodjia

I guess the worry is whether this would inhibit McGinn and Grealish too much.  But I just see the goal threat as being hugely more challenging for the opposition to deal with.

Edited by allani

7 hours ago, sne said:

Yeah, it's more formations really.

Tactics entail attention to detail, clear individual instructions as well as team instructions, movement patterns and loads and loads of things we seem to lack.

Can't even get Grealish to roll up his socks ffs.

It’s lacking in this thread as well which is peculiar for a thread for discussing tactics. It should be renamed “Formations for the 2018/2019 Season”.

Maybe the average football fan on a message board actually doesn’t really know all that much about tactics. Or maybe they prefer to keep their in depth tactical knowledge to themselves.

Who knows.