UFC/Pride/MMA

Gabby15

I wouldn't say Khabib necessarily got the better of the stand-up striking in the fight, but I would say he did a lot better at it than people expected he would.  I think the reason for this is because Conor was quite rightly massively focussed on Khabib's inevitable takedown attempts, so he kind of allowed for taking the odd strike high up.

Yeah, but Khabib is aware of his opponents preoccupation about not being taken down and he uses it to his advantage. The shot he dropped Conor with is a perfect example of that. Feint low, strike high.  I agree that he had the edge standing up as the fight went on simply because he was winning the mind games in the ring. 

I'd also agree that Khabib doesn't have the single punch knock-your-socks-off power of McGregor, but he doesn't need to. His power is more than enough to achieve his goals, nobody is walking though those punches and his record is a testament to that. 

Edited by The_Rev

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

I'd also agree that Khabib doesn't have the single punch knock-your-socks-off power of McGregor, but he doesn't need to. 

100% agree with this. He doesn't need 1 punch knockout power as once he's got you down, you're getting smashed.

I still have a massive hard-on for his 27-0 record. It's absurd not to **** up at least once in all those MMA-tilts. And its not like he's fighting cans all the time.

He's also never really been in trouble in his UFC bouts. He's been rocked once, and there's an argument over that, by a guy who can swing, who he then dominated. He's got an exceptional record.

His biggest failing has been struggles to hit weight. 

9 hours ago, BOF said:

I wouldn't say Khabib necessarily got the better of the stand-up striking in the fight, but I would say he did a lot better at it than people expected he would.  I think the reason for this is because Conor was quite rightly massively focussed on Khabib's inevitable takedown attempts, so he kind of allowed for taking the odd strike high up.

He defended better and landed the better shots, definitely got the better of it, I don't even think McGregor 'won' the round he got on the cards, it was very close.

IMO Conor won the stand up and the stats support that as he had more distance strikes and clinch strikes to both the head and body.

However, on the ground he got mauled and had no answer to Khabib's control. 

Get Tony Ferguson or Kevin Lee in with Khabib next please!

1 hour ago, Tegis said:

I still have a massive hard-on for his 27-0 record. It's absurd not to **** up at least once in all those MMA-tilts. And its not like he's fighting cans all the time.

How many legit opponents has he had? His record is below... chock full of nobodies that do an awful lot of padding.

http://www.espn.com/mma/fighter/history/_/id/2611557/khabib-nurmagomedov

In the past 6 yrs he has McG, Tibau, Dos Anjos and Barbosa who are all high level fighters, then a load of wannabes of varying levels of competence. Yes, avoiding the one punch wonders takes clear talent/skill.

Getting to 10-12 unbeaten is somewhat normal for standouts, which he clearly is, but they all eventually lose. IMHO, Khabibs record is much more similar to this than what it appears. 27-0 is a horrid boxing inspired marketing nonsense.

All nonsense talk from me, as Unbeaten is unbeaten.

7 minutes ago, villakram said:

How many legit opponents has he had? His record is below... chock full of nobodies that do an awful lot of padding.

Indeed, but almost all other fighters has a derp moment among these nobodies, or as soon as they face a credible foe like a Abel Trujillo or Pat Healy.

Another one of those freaks is Vitaly Minakov, but sadly he's lurking around in Bellator. And lets not forget Jon Jones, even with the asterisks :)

• Like 1

Conor-Floyd happened because, for various reasons, both are box office and everyone wants to watch them.  Khabib is not that, and never will be.

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It would be the most pointless fight ever. Khalid is a worse boxer than Conor he would lose against mayweather. In a ufc fight Mayweather would get killed 

Does not benefit anyone 

Khabib bib bib bib :)

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Mayweather is going to fight a kickboxer now

A good one at that, I wonder if kicks are allowed :lol::lol::lol:

GkwndL.gif

DeliriousVigilantArcherfish-size_restric

Good thing its on RIZIN’s New Year’s Eve event. Nothing shady ever happens when those guys are involved........

• Like 1

Â