Wes Edens

NurembergVillan

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Wes is an intelligent bloke, if it was a mistake I'm sure he would of learnt from it. 

In my view, I think Nas might be in the driving seat and he is a footie maniac but didn't know the runnings of a sports club. Got Wes on board to help him make good decisions. So wouldn't be surprised if Nas throws some extra dough in for transfers himself if things did get tight. 

I've never met them,  I have no idea and I'm probably way off the mark!  

No, that sounds good, I am off the mark!

46 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Small red flag regarding Wes.

Last spring, in Milwaukee, the Bucks had both their guards up for new contracts. Wes and his co-owner decided to only re-sign one of them. They did not re-sign Malcolm Brogdon, a very good young guard, which was a mistake. And this was at a time when they were hunting for the championship. Mistakes happen, but they seemingly did it to save money. There are other things involved of course, which no-one knows about, but we may be wrong if we assume that Wes and Nassir are here to just throw money away and win at whatever cost.

He might have taken his General Managers advice? I don’t know the ins and out of the Bucks franchise but in they do have a salary cap to adhere to so this could have been the problem? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

Considering that we have given everyone else a 10 year head start and the mess Xia left us in, I'd say they have worked miracles to even get us to Palace/West Ham status. God knows how we are going to get back to say spurs levels with the constraints of FFP, it really is going to be a much longer grind then what most fans patience stretch to but unlike say a Leics/Wolves etc we have no ceiling.

Its going to be the most exciting and probably frustrating times in my Villa lifetime.

Agree with that phil 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Small red flag regarding Wes.

Last spring, in Milwaukee, the Bucks had both their guards up for new contracts. Wes and his co-owner decided to only re-sign one of them. They did not re-sign Malcolm Brogdon, a very good young guard, which was a mistake. And this was at a time when they were hunting for the championship. Mistakes happen, but they seemingly did it to save money. There are other things involved of course, which no-one knows about, but we may be wrong if we assume that Wes and Nassir are here to just throw money away and win at whatever cost.

I dont think anyone here has assumed the owners are here for a "throw money away and win at any cost experience". If that were the case we wouldn't be negotiating for weeks on these deals.

On the Bucks, letting Brogdon go with hindsight was a mistake. But his injury record was suspect at best and his Indiana salary is huge for an injury risk. (I hope Giannis stays with the Bucks!)

Bucks certainly made the wrong choice extending Bledsoe instead of paying Brogdon , however, it’s much more complicated as Rightdm00 explained.

It wasn’t a cheap move by the owner , it was a mistake by the GM.

Currently it doesn’t look good for them in terms of keeping Giannis past next season, so Edens will have a lot of headaches in the near future.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

As others have mentioned the NBA has many salary rules based on maintaining a competitive balancing and revenue sharing between the players and owners. 

When a new player enters the NBA you sign a structured deal that is based in your draft position. No negotiation allowed. This rule was put in place by the older players because they got tired of rookies getting insane contracts before they had even played in the league. Brogdon's original deal paid him roughly $3.5 million over 3 years. That deal expired last year. 

In Free Agency the Indiana Pacers offered him a 4 year/ $82 million dollar deal. Notice the huge difference. In the NBA your second deal after your capped rookie deal is where you get PAID!  Salaries jump from a couple million a year to $30 million plus a year for the best players. I would consider Brogdon to be a tier 2 player. Very good but not star level. 

Here is where it gets a little complicated.  The NBA has a couple of "soft" caps to prevent the big teams from dominating the league every year.  They still do for the most part 😁

Every team has a salary cap that they may exceed to retain their own talent.  This is known as the "Larry Bird rule." The salary cap for the 19-20 season was $109 million.  Another cap exist, the luxury tax, which is a dollar for dollar penalty tax.  For the NBA in 19-20 the luxury tax cap was at $132 million.  Most NBA teams maintain their total team salaries between the salary cap and the luxury tax line. Only the worst teams have salaries below the cap line.

Now back to the luxury tax.  This tax has a multiplier so every season you exceed it consecutively the multiplier worsens. Only the richest owners in the richest cities ever maintain a team salary above the luxury tax for multiple seasons (Golden State warriors, LA Lakers, Brooklyn Nets).  

Currently the Bucks sit $2 million below the tax line. Keeping Brogdon would have put them an eye watering $18 million over the tax. Here is some verbiage front the very long and confusing luxury tax law in the NBA:

For teams between $15,000,000 and $19,999,999 over the cap, the tax rate is $3.25 for every dollar over the cap.

Then, the next year the repeater would kick in, x2 then it jumps up to like x4 the year after that. You can see how this can quickly get out of hand.  Also, the last kick in the teeth is that the money collected from the tax gets redistributed to every team who keeps their salary below the tax line. So you are also strengthening your rivals as well. 

I attached a couple images that show the Bucks salary structure and how Brogdon's new deal would have blown it away. The Bucks play in a small market, think Brighton. Milwaukee is a decent sized US city but tiny in comparison to the larger ones located on either coast. Wes has them punching well above their weight. Actually, their best player who is about to win the league MVP is up for a new deal soon and all the media talk is about how he will have to leave the Bucks if he wants to win the league.  

So, Wes and the Bucks had no hope of retaining Brogdon. If anything Wes has taken the Bucks salary to the very limits allowed in the NBA. Next season the Bucks will have the 4th highest salary in the league. This concludes my Ted Talk. Thanks for reading. 

SmartSelect_20200912-040823_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20200912-040614_Chrome.jpg

Thank you for the information.

Edited by AVTuco

6 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Brogdon was a 2nd round pick. Ben Simmons was the number one pick that year and signed a 4 Yr deal worth 50 million although I think he is now on 180 million over 5 yrs. 

Simmons signed a 4yr/$26 million rookie deal as the 1st pick in 2016. Sportrac.com is a great website for unraveling the salary cap status of each NBA team. 

Simmons starts his max deal next year and if he doesn't get a jump shot soon the 76ers are absolutely screwed. 

Bucks have the same problem with Giannis(can't shoot). Will be interesting to see whether Wes Edens and the Bucks decide to reload around Giannis or blow it up. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I've struggled to warm to Basketball over the years but I am a Bucks fan now (2 years) because of Wes. That, and I'm a massive Packers fan and they're just up the road.

I see Wes is involved in the £6.3 billion Morrisons takeover bid. The successful offer (which is subject to shareholder approval) was led by the US private equity firm Fortress, Investment Group which Wes is co-founder of. A potential new shirt sponsor?

9 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I've struggled to warm to Basketball over the years but I am a Bucks fan now (2 years) because of Wes. That, and I'm a massive Packers fan and they're just up the road.

Oh no, please no. This kills me as a Minnesotan. There’s still time to change.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John said:

I see Wes is involved in the £6.3 billion Morrisons takeover bid. The successful offer (which is subject to shareholder approval) was led by the US private equity firm Fortress, Investment Group which Wes is co-founder of. A potential new shirt sponsor?

I guess Wes will get a tickle out of it, won't he ,John?

• Like 2

Â