Dominic Revan

sir_gary_cahill

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Bit disappointed.

Think he is well capable of playing at a much higher level than that

Skill wise he probably is. In terms of strength and stamina maybe not. He is only 21. Defenders take longer to learn their craft and most want an experienced cb to improve their defence which explains why he is in the national league rather than in league 1 or 2.

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

lets be honest, he's 20, going to a conference team?, doesnt bode well for making it here if he's going to the conference on loan at 20?

Good luck to him tho, hope it goes well.

Indeed.

Crazy thing is Luiz is only 2 years older than him

at the end of the day, the next level up from national league is playing football for a living as a full professional. not all the lads that played football last week will even get to that stage. this is a good move for him. if he struggles, it's worrying for him. if he's head and shoulders above his new team mates ability wise, then it bodes well

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Great move in the thought he will play a lot of games rather than play higher up and risk being on the bench. Should be invaluable.

Really? I think it’s a terrible move, can’t see how dropping that low in the pyramid is going to help him progress. Really odd one this.

• Like 1

This probably should help calm us a little bit from the belief of throwing those lads last week into senior football. 

Can spin it a few ways and I agree its good for him to get some games but you'd have hoped a League 2 side at least would've seen the value in him.

Hope he smashes it there and gets himself a good move to a a Football League side in the summer

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Really? I think it’s a terrible move, can’t see how dropping that low in the pyramid is going to help him progress. Really odd one this.

Similar. Feels weird. Only thing I can think is a) he's guaranteed first-team football, b) the staff want to test him physically and think dropping down there he'll get the shit kicked out of him.

3 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Similar. Feels weird. Only thing I can think is a) he's guaranteed first-team football, b) the staff want to test him physically and think dropping down there he'll get the shit kicked out of him.

If he has to drop that low to get regular first team football he isn't ever making it in the PL. Just don't get it unless the player is desperate to play and that was the only option.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

He's being granted a move to help get his face out there before we let him go IMO. I know I'm not going to make myself popular by saying this, but I don't think he has a future at this level of the game. Loved his efforts last week - named him man of the match afterwards - but he's two years older than Wesley Fofana, a bit more than two years younger than Konsa but by the same age Konsa had played nearly 100 senior games. Maybe it seems unfair to compare him to those players, but that's the level for good young centre backs in the PL.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He's being granted a move to help get his face out there before we let him go IMO. I know I'm not going to make myself popular by saying this, but I don't think he has a future at this level of the game.

as much as every player that put in such a shift the other week are little heroes for us, sometimes you need to come back down to earth and accept realities such as this.

most people involved in football probably watched last friday. imagine all the league 1/2/national league team managers + scouts definitely would have, with the view to potential loans etc. and the only team that fancied him is 100 places below us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

as much as every player that put in such a shift the other week are little heroes for us, sometimes you need to come back down to earth and accept realities such as this.

most people involved in football probably watched last friday. imagine all the league 1/2/national league team managers + scouts definitely would have, with the view to potential loans etc. and the only team that fancied him is 100 places below us.

Exactly this.

I think it's helpful to think about there being a dividing line in the U23 squad, between those who were in that squad before the club announced their new policies on youth breaking through early and those who came after. Most of those who were in the squad previously have either been let go or have gone on decidedly humble loans this season (Jack Clarke to Yeovil; Lewis Brunt to Gloucester; Ben Guy to Portadown). Jake Walker, who also played the other night, was recalled from a loan to Alvechurch, who are battling relegation in the 7th tier, ie two divisions below Weymouth. He and Revan and Bridge are just winding down their careers with us IMO. Most of the rest of the starting XI from last week are younger, have been at the club for less time, and are more likely to be part of our future planning.

• Like 1

He done well against Liverpool but the fact is he's already 20, the chances of him ever making it now in the Premier League are extremely, extremely slim imo. 

I hope the loan goes well for his sake but I'm pretty certain this is a player we'll just release on a free when his contract expires and that'll be that. 

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Exactly this.

I think it's helpful to think about there being a dividing line in the U23 squad, between those who were in that squad before the club announced their new policies on youth breaking through early and those who came after. Most of those who were in the squad previously have either been let go or have gone on decidedly humble loans this season (Jack Clarke to Yeovil; Lewis Brunt to Gloucester; Ben Guy to Portadown). Jake Walker, who also played the other night, was recalled from a loan to Alvechurch, who are battling relegation in the 7th tier, ie two divisions below Weymouth. He and Revan and Bridge are just winding down their careers with us IMO. Most of the rest of the starting XI from last week are younger, have been at the club for less time, and are more likely to be part of our future planning.

Completely agree, i think some of the younger youth players seem to have a chance of making it towards the first team (hopefully), such as Sylla, Kesler, Chrisene, Chuka, Bogarde, barry, Bidace, Shakpoke etc, as they are all 16/17 years old, hopefully they can develop, maybe have a decent loan and push for the first team in the next 1-3 years, or just push direct for the first team, whatever suits their development best.

Unfortunately, i also think if you look at C.Rowe (21), D.Revan (20), Bridge (20), Walker (20), Archer (19), Wright (19), Clarke (21), Brunt (20) etc, they are all now at ages where they should be pushing for the first team squad, or at least be on loan at championship level (or higher), some of these players are going out on loan to conference sides, to me this basically says they arent going to make it unfortunately, if a youth player is 20/21 years old and not in the first team reckoning, or playing at a good level on loan, there is very little chance imo they will make it at Villa, although i wish them luck and hope they play to a decent level in the future.

If a player is going to be good enough for the (hopefully) a constantly improving Villa, at 19/20 years old they need to be playing in, and making a mark in a league like the Championship (like Mount/Tomori were for Derby in 18/19 at 20 y/old ish, or Elliot - 17 y/old is for Blackburn this year), if they are that age and playing in league 2 or conference, it just doesnt bode well at all.

Obviously there are anomalies and late developers, but generally speaking, if they arent standing out by the time they are 20, its not good (for Villa).

• Like 4

Archer has only just turned nineteen, and has been doing very well for Solihull, he could have gone to a team higher up the footballing ladder but his family wanted him to stay local, way too early to write him off. I thinking some are making the mistake of thinking that the national league is like pub football or something, it really isn't, it's pretty much of a level with league two, a lot of the teams play good football, and I think that most of them are full time professional outfits, if you're impressing in that league as eighteen/nineteen year old then I think it's good sign.

another mistake I think people make is comparing our youngsters to other youngsters at a similar age, players develop at different rates, if you're dismissing players because they're not deemed good enough for the championship by the time they're seventeen/eighteen then it's almost not worth having an academy, because most youngsters of that age would struggle to get regular game time in the championship, players like Elliot and Tomori that go to that division and stand out, are a rare exception, and are at teams like Livepool and Chelsea for a reason.

Revan is still young for a centreback, he only recently just turned twenty himself, he might not make it with us, but I think it's too simplistic to say that because he's gone to a National League side that that's his level, Man City signed Morgan Rogers from West Brom for £4m and have loaned him to Lincoln, but I'm pretty sure that they don't think that League One is his level, it's just a way for him to get game time and gain experience, speaking of Man City they have a young goalkeeper called Louie Moulden, he's an England U19s international, and has been on loan with Gloucester City who play a level below the National League.

• Like 4

Mings was playing with Chippenham Town at 19. Let's see how he gets on. Granted, it doesn't look great but I'll hold fire until I see what happens when he comes back and what role he then has to play here.

i hope, and i speak generally for the lads that played last week, that it gives them that extra kick to want to make it. playing competitive football every week will do wonders for the lad

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

He's being granted a move to help get his face out there before we let him go IMO. I know I'm not going to make myself popular by saying this, but I don't think he has a future at this level of the game. Loved his efforts last week - named him man of the match afterwards - but he's two years older than Wesley Fofana, a bit more than two years younger than Konsa but by the same age Konsa had played nearly 100 senior games. Maybe it seems unfair to compare him to those players, but that's the level for good young centre backs in the PL.

That’s exactly the point with loaning them early. Konsa been lucky to have a team like Brentford that found his ability and developed him. Then he was lucky to come with DS to complete his development. Normally players don’t find chances to show what they’ve got, or they find themselves in teams that doesn’t fit their playing way. Which all stops the development.

• Like 1

Konsa started out at Charlton, much easier to break into their team as a league one side than it would be for Revan with us. A couple of years ago at the same age as Revan Sulliman was on loan with Grimbsy and couldn't get in their side, now he's flying high in Portugual with Vitória de Guimarães.

Â