World Cup : Semi Finals & Final

BOF

I think France beat Belgium and we beat Croatia to set up a final vs France. 

It is eerily quiet in here, but no doubt will pick up tomorrow. 

I have never seen such a buzz and excitement about England, and this is the furthest we’ve been in a World Cup in my lifetime-ish (I was born in 1989!). 

I am buzzing for tomorrow as I really think we will dispatch Croatia quite comfortably, having the advantage of no extra time in the last round, and the players being fresher from not playing in the last group game. This Croatia team isn’t the youngest. 

A lot of people mentioning Croatia's extra time against Russia. These are professional footballers, playing at the height of their careers. 30 mins extra playing time, 4 days ago will mean absolutely sod all.

Croatia are a better side than England, with a midfield that's light years ahead. It's no exaggeration to suggest I'd be stunned if England won this game if it wasn't for the fact that there have been so many shock results at this tournament.

For that reason alone, we have a chance.

• Like 1

This is the first real test that England are facing.

The draw has been very kind and on one occasion that it wasn't, England did not have to face James Rodriguez.

I'm really intrigued to see how the players will go about this challenge.

19 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

Croatia are a better side than England, with a midfield that's light years ahead.

Light years ahead? Nonsense. Closely matched all over the pitch i reckon. They'd probably edge the midfield, but i think England have a better defence and forward line. I think it'll be a very tight game.

• Like 1

croatia faced a nigeria team that weren't interested, an absolute shambles of an argentina team, got a good result vs iceland then didnt play well vs denmark and russia

i dont really buy in to this england havent played anyone yet stuff 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Mind you, probably hanging on to find out who we get :thumb: (I really hope it's Russia!)

orig

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

croatia faced a nigeria team that weren't interested, an absolute shambles of an argentina team, got a good result vs iceland then didnt play well vs denmark and russia

i dont really buy in to this england havent played anyone yet stuff 

Just because Croatia didn't face the toughest of oppositions it does not mean that England have. 

On paper however, I would rather play Sweden and Tunisia than Nigeria or Argentina.

5 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Just because Croatia didn't face the toughest of oppositions it does not mean that England have. 

On paper however, I would rather play Sweden and Tunisia than Nigeria or Argentina.

yeah on paper but in reality both nigeria and argentina rolled over and had their bellies tickled, they were both utter dogshit, the toughest game croatia have played was iceland who missed some good chances

i dont think who either team has played so far has any reflection on what will happen tomorrow, means nothing

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

yeah on paper but in reality both nigeria and argentina rolled over and had their bellies tickled, they were both utter dogshit, the toughest game croatia have played was iceland who missed some good chances

i dont think who either team has played so far has any reflection on what will happen tomorrow, means nothing

That's true - I'm hoping for a great game of football!

Just for @VILLAMARV and anyone else who only uses me for their scores ;) I may be off the grid for the next few days so updates mightn't be forthcoming.  I'm over 'there' y'see.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

A lot of people mentioning Croatia's extra time against Russia. These are professional footballers, playing at the height of their careers. 30 mins extra playing time, 4 days ago will mean absolutely sod all.

The point is they're ALL professional footballers, even their opponents.  It's not a case of "can Croatia play 2 games of football in 4 days?".  Of course they can.  But their opponents have had more rest, and one game fewer over the past few weeks.  So you're into percentages.  And the margins are fine between the players at this level.  So if playing later on the Saturday and then playing more football on the Saturday having played 3 group games instead of 2 even gives England a 5% advantage or maybe 10% then that could be the difference.  At the very least you'd rather England's scenario over Croatia's one.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Croatia 2nd team played iceland. Only modric started from other games

• Like 1

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Croatia are a better side than England, with a midfield that's light years ahead. It's no exaggeration to suggest I'd be stunned if England won this game if it wasn't for the fact that there have been so many shock results at this tournament.

For that reason alone, we have a chance.

Errrr.... no.  Croatia's midfield is stronger - that's it.

It would be more of an upset if Croatia beat England.

32 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Errrr.... no.  Croatia's midfield is stronger - that's it.

It would be more of an upset if Croatia beat England.

I think that Modric is the best player left in the tournament and our midfield are no where near as good as theirs. Anyone who thinks that Modric isn't light years ahead of Deli Alli or Jordan Henderson needs their head examined.

As a team though, I think that Croatia are only slightly better. Which is why I think we have a chance.

Edited by One For The Road

1 minute ago, One For The Road said:

I think that Modric is the best player left in the tournament and our midfield are no where near as good as theirs.

As a team though, I think that Croatia are only slightly better. Which I why I think we have a chance.

De Bruyne is better than Modric and is starting to have more of an influence than Modric, who has dwindled in the past couple of games (of course, still a fantastic player).

Our goalkeeper is better.  Our defence is better.  Our striker is better.  Croatia's only hope is that their midfield manages to take control of the game.  If they don't, England will win.  I imagine bookies odds are something like 5/4 England and 12/5 Croatia (and, yes, I know they take in account where money is going).  They simply aren't a better side - let alone "only slightly better".

(That isn't to say Croatia can't or won't win - they may well do, they're still decent.)

Â