Croatia cro.png D1

3rd place playoff

#63 14/07 15:00 G1 bel.png Belgium 2-0 England eng.png G2

World Cup final

#64 15/07 16:00 C1 fra.png France 4-2 Croatia cro.png D1

> Quarter finals thread <

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Unfortunately, this WC is nailed on to be won by Russia, with help from the Russian linesman. 

It's why I want Croatia to win tonight, even if I think they'll be tougher opponents for us.  It'll just seem dodgy somehow if Russia get through to the last four.

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Unfortunately, this WC is nailed on to be won by Russia, with help from the Russian linesman. 

Finally a sports team may accept an invitation to the White House.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The first decent team England have played in the whole competition, not counting England reserves vs Belgium reserves in the race to lose match. It will be interesting to see how they cope. I cant see England beating both Croatia and France/Belgium but it's definitely possible. 

Think England reaching the final here.

Momentum is behind them and Croatia really struggled with their level in knock outs. Croatia also struggle to defend crosses.

Would be pretty surprised if winner of the tournament dosen't come from the other game though.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Would be pretty surprised if winner of the tournament dosen't come from the other game though.

Given the way this tournament has panned out, I would probably be more surprised if the winner DID come from the other game. 

If we have learned anything from the last 3 weeks, it's that the unexpected is paradoxically more likely.

We have a real chance. 

11 hours ago, Xela said:

Croatia had 2 tough games and look very beatable. 

I think England have to be favourites now. 

On paper and fresh you’d say Croatia. But given their recent performances and their fatigue I think England will have the legs on them. 

Plus their keeper might be out which would be a big advantage, especially if it went to penalties. 

Croatia looked good in the group stage but have been pretty poor since IMO. Not an easy game by any stretch, but I don’t think they’ll really trouble England’s defence. Bigger test than Sweden, but very doable. 

England vs Belgium in the final. 

I would like to see Belgium and Croatia in the final, as neither team has won it before, but best of luck to England.

As long as France doesn't win.

Â