World Cup : Quarter Finals

BOF

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Amazed how good he is at taking penalties (cue him missing a crucial one v England!) Would've thought someone like Forsberg would be on them.

Where and when did he learn to take them? I remember him being a bit out of his depth at Wigan but then had a really good spell at Genoa and him and Lindelof is one of best defensive combinations in international football currently.

I wonder who that manager at Wigan was that never gave him a chance

36 minutes ago, coda said:

I've been breaking out in cold sweats today remembering the "Brolin, Dahlin, Brolin" commentary.

giphy.gif

We really do have a pretty awful record against them, especially considering most of our wins came in friendlies between 1923 and 1968 (P9 - W6 - D1 - L2) in the 6 friendlies since between 1979 and 2014 we have only won one courtesy of a solitary first-half Gareth Barry goal in 2011. There was the Umbro Trophy aswell in 1995 where, trailing 3-1 with 5 mins to go, Platt and Anderton salvaged a draw with 2 late goals after Sheringham's first goal for England looked destined to be in consolation (P7 - W1 - D3 - L3).

In proper competitive games we have never beaten them in qualifying although we have only been in 1 group for the World Cup for Italia 90 (0-0 both games) and 1 group for the Euros 10 years later (0-0 at Wembley 2-1 in Sweden) where Scholes became the first English player sent off on home soil and Ince picked up 2 bookings in a minute in the away loss after Shearer banged a free kick in on 72 seconds (P4 - W0 - D3 - L1)

As I said earlier the 2 World Cup draws are the only time we've met up until now. The 2 Euro games, we at least exacted some revenge for '92 when Danny Welbeck scored the winner in the group game in 2012 and scored some goals! All after Mellberg had put them ahead after the Glen Johnson OG cancelled out Carroll's opener, before Walcott came on and grabbed the equaliser leaving Welbeck to take the glory. And record our only competitive win over them. (P4 - W1 - D2 - L1)

Overall: P24 - W8 - D9 - L7

Since 1968 the only time this fixture has been won by more than the odd goal was the 4-2 Ibrahimovic inspired Sweden win in Stockholm. Which was the last game between us

Dutchman Björn Kuipers will be the ref between Sweden and England.

Hopefully we won't notice him, but I'm still glad it's a ref from a proper football nation and not some yahoo from Mali or the US of A

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, sne said:

Dutchman Björn Kuipers will be the ref between Sweden and England.

Hopefully we won't notice him, but I'm still glad it's a ref from a proper football nation and not some yahoo from Mali or the US of A

Think he is the guy that wouldnt put up with Neymar bullshit vs Costa Rica

12 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

I thought Dier had the weirder accent.  It may just be the way he talks or having grown up in Portugal he has a slight difference to his accent.

Yeah very strange accent,  from Cheltenham and moved to Portugal when he was seven, thought it would be a lot more West Country accent 

14 hours ago, mjmooney said:

You're not wrong. I said to the missus (who thinks all footballers are neanderthals, anyway) that Dier came across OK, but Pickford (first time I've heard him speak) is clearly thick as pigshit. It's not just the accent, he's totally inarticulate. 

You sure it isn't the accent? (for both Dier and Pickford)

giphy.gif

The good news is we've never lost to Sweden on a neutral ground. (P3 - W1 - D2 - L0 - F6 - A5). In fact their only victory over us outside of Sweden was back in 1959 in a friendly at Wembley. Which was Brian Clough's last game for England back in the days of Walter Winterbottom. A late Bobby Charlton goal not being enough in a 3-2 loss. After John Connelly's first England goal (No, me neither!) was followed by 3 goals from a couple of guys with -monsson at the end of their names :) (There's got to be a band name in there somewhere...mmmmbop anyone?)

We haven't lost a competitive game to them since 1998 in fact they've only ever beaten us in a competitive fixture IN the 1990's with '92 the obvious other.

The last 3 games were the Gareth Barry 2011 friendly win, which ended a run of 43 years unbeaten against us. The 2012 Euro win which was our first competitive victory after 9 attempts. And the Zlatan wonder-goal friendly to open their shiny new stadium 6 years ago. All within 12 months of each other.

6 years ago! Time flies.

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

You're not wrong. I said to the missus (who thinks all footballers are neanderthals, anyway) that Dier came across OK, but Pickford (first time I've heard him speak) is clearly thick as pigshit. It's not just the accent, he's totally inarticulate. 

He looked nervous in the interview so that didn't help, but his speech went right off the rails, total gibberish at the end!

• Like 1

I want the referees to start holding their hand in the air and counting to 5 using his fingers/thumb. When he gets to 5 anyone still mouthing off around him gets a yellow.

Give them the toddler treatment.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I want the referees to start holding their hand in the air and counting to 5 using his fingers/thumb. When he gets to 5 anyone still mouthing off around him gets a yellow.

Give them the toddler treatment.

Let's just give em a spray bottle with water, they already have one with foam for the free kicks.

Bildresultat för spray water in face gif

• Like 3

The lay off from Dahlin can only be fractions of a second in that move but it is sublime.

Still reminds me of being gutted with Tony Daley on the pitch for England. I loved Tony Daley me.

Only time they have ever beaten us in a major tournament there and it was at home, lets hope it continues that way.

giphy.gif

Â