World Cup : Quarter Finals

BOF

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think

France vs Brazil

Russia vs sweden will be semis

Cabt see England beating Sweden. Yesterday took a hell of a lot out of them.

Quite what the Coalition Against Bigger Trucks and their fight for sound transportation policies have to do with it, but strange organisations, lying around in ponds, distributing predictions, is no basis for a system of government...

I agree though those Swedes looked knackered at the end ;)

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think

France vs Brazil

Russia vs sweden will be semis

Cabt see England beating Sweden. Yesterday took a hell of a lot out of them.

Hell of a change of opinion in 4 hours

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, VILLAMARV said:

It really is all there for someone like Croatia. Probably the most open World Cup in memory - no one team stands out above the rest for me. All have similar strengths or weaknesses.

Obviously moments of magic will win it and France still look ominous to me. But if the front 5 for Croatia can stay fit and probably more importantly, ban free, then that whole unit works amazingly well for each other and has definitely been impressive.

Almost the exact opposite to the complete lack of shape last night from England after the subs.

I also think Perisic has been mint so far and deserves something for his troubles.

I would have agreed after the Argentina game, but I actually think Croatia looked poor against Iceland and Denmark and scraped through both games.  The only completely consistent team in our side of the draw is Sweden.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BOF said:

Don't look past Sweden!  The trail of destruction they've left in their path so far should tell you that.  Dutch gone out in the qualifiers.  Italians in the playoffs.  Germans in the groups.  6th ranked Swiss in last 16.  Anyone who gets to the last 8 needs your full attention. 

The sentiment here is entirely fair - as above, they've been incredibly consistent this tournament and deserve to be in the QFs.  However, the quote here over-exaggerates their achievements for me.

"Dutch gone out in the qualifiers" - they drew 1-1 at home and lost 2-0 in Netherlands.
"Italians in the playoffs" - fair, they did actually beat Italy 1-0 at home and drew 0-0 away.
"Germans in the groups" - they lost 2-1
"6th ranked Swiss in last 16" - fair again, they won (with a deflected shot in a horrible game).  To give the Swiss the gloss of "6th ranked" plays them up too much though.  Scraped past N. Ireland in the playoffs and looked bang average this tournament.

So, of the traditional big sides they've faced, Sweden have won 1, drawn 2 and lost 2 of the achievements they've had thus far.  

I like them, if they beat England I'd like them to win the World Cup, but they aren't any sort of scary side that has had a great run of giant killing at all.

• Like 1

I'd rather face Sweden next game than any of the others. Not because it will be an easy game - it definitely won't - but because it will be much closer to the sort of Premier League game that the England players are used to. There won't be the sort of wacky shenanigans we've been seeing from the African and Latin American sides, both teams will be playing more 'normal' northern European football. Sweden have a good defence, but are no great shakes up front. Much the same could be said of England. It will be a true test of the two teams' qualities, and should be decided - I think narrowly, either way - by that fact, and not by controversial 'incidents'. I think much depends on England's ability to give Kane the ammunition he needs, because he could be the decisive factor. On paper, Sweden should shade it - but football isn't played on paper. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep you have changed my opinion. Solid argument !

I wasn’t trying to change your opinion. 

It just won’t happen. 

32 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The sentiment here is entirely fair - as above, they've been incredibly consistent this tournament and deserve to be in the QFs.  However, the quote here over-exaggerates their achievements for me.

"Dutch gone out in the qualifiers" - they drew 1-1 at home and lost 2-0 in Netherlands.
"Italians in the playoffs" - fair, they did actually beat Italy 1-0 at home and drew 0-0 away.
"6th ranked Swiss in last 16" - fair again, they won (with a deflected shot in a horrible game).  To give the Swiss the gloss of "6th ranked" plays them up too much though.  Scraped past N. Ireland in the playoffs and looked bang average this tournament.

So, of the traditional big sides they've faced, Sweden have won 1, drawn 2 and lost 2 of the achievements they've had thus far.  

I like them, if they beat England I'd like them to win the World Cup, but they aren't any sort of scary side that has had a great run of giant killing at all.

Also beat France in the qualification (and lost away to them)

So has the English government called off they boycott of Russia and the World Cup and decided that human rights can't stand in the way of a good PR opportunity.

The Swedish one has, they're off to Russia to bask in the glory of the national team now.

It's election year after all...

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, sne said:

So has the English government called off they boycott of Russia and the World Cup and decided that human rights can't stand in the way of a good PR opportunity.

The Swedish one has, they're off to Russia to bask in the glory of the national team now.

It's election year after all...

Career politicians, essentially the same the world over.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

Would say the Mexico result was very impressive considering how well Mexico did first two games. The reality is they were in a group with France and Holland and qualified for play offs (also pushed France to last game for 1st), they then beat Italy when it seemed impossible for people to think of a World cup without Italy and they've now won a group with Mexico and Germany in. That's the fairytale.

Their coach has done amazing job last two years as they were woeful at Euro 2016.

Sweden are the sort of team that is near impossible to beat if they go 1 up. Bit like a Uruguay or in club level Atletico Madrid. Brilliant defensive partnership in Lindelof and Granqvist and solid team that works hard and can knick goals which is the formula you only really need at international level.

In pretty much all those games bar Holland away when they'd already made second they weren't behind in any of those games going into last half hour.

Having said all that the ball to me is rolling for England at this World cup for once so can see them getting an early goal and thats a situation Sweden are rarely in, behind and chasing the game so can see England holding onto a 1-0.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Forgotten is the 2012 game...didn't Mellberg score twice or am I imagining it? Was one of the most entertaining games at that Euros.

He did though one might have been an own goal

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Granqvist signed for a 2nd division team in Sweden after the competition. His agent is probably kicking himself after the tournament he has had

He moved back to the club in his heart and because of his family.

He rejected an offer from his current club Krasnodar of £8m after tax over 2 years to move back home.

Class act.

Edited by sne
  • Like 3

Amazed how good he is at taking penalties (cue him missing a crucial one v England!) Would've thought someone like Forsberg would be on them.

Where and when did he learn to take them? I remember him being a bit out of his depth at Wigan but then had a really good spell at Genoa and him and Lindelof is one of best defensive combinations in international football currently.

Edited by VillaChris

Â