World Cup : Quarter Finals

BOF

33 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

In fairness I was pretty close yesterday and James not being fit made a big impact. Sweden are very solid at the back and England are struggling to make chances in open play since the level of opposition has improve. Sweden will be very hard to break down but I think England will nick one and that will be enough.

Well you were close in so much as you predicted a loss and we won. 

This was after you predicted we wouldn’t get out of the group of course ;) 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

It's got England vs Russia semi hasnt it??

Riots galore. Even though Croatia are better woukd rather play them than Russia.

I think it will be France Russia final

Nah

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well you were close in so much as you predicted a loss and we won. 

This was after you predicted we wouldn’t get out of the group of course ;) 

Close in as much as it went to pens, right down to the wire,  so hardly an outlandishly bad prediction. Group stages was just a bit of trolling :)

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Riots galore. Even though Croatia are better woukd rather play them than Russia.

Croatia will surely deal with Russia. 

2 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Although he couldn't work out how to use it.

Poxy thing had 4 bubbles in it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

Don't look past Sweden!  The trail of destruction they've left in their path so far should tell you that.  Dutch gone out in the qualifiers.  Italians in the playoffs.  Germans in the groups.  6th ranked Swiss in last 16.  Anyone who gets to the last 8 needs your full attention.  Especially given your knockout record.  Everyone in the bottom half has a chance.  Dare I say it would be quite typical of the English national side to saunter into an expected win only to fall flat.  Tails are up and spirits are high.  Deservedly enjoy last night's brilliant win.  Just don't get cocky.

Was about to say much the same thing. Well said.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, BOF said:

Don't look past Sweden!  The trail of destruction they've left in their path so far should tell you that.  Dutch gone out in the qualifiers.  Italians in the playoffs.  Germans in the groups.  6th ranked Swiss in last 16.  Anyone who gets to the last 8 needs your full attention.  Especially given your knockout record.  Everyone in the bottom half has a chance.  Dare I say it would be quite typical of the English national side to saunter into an expected win only to fall flat.  Tails are up and spirits are high.  Deservedly enjoy last night's brilliant win.  Just don't get cocky.

Beat France in qualifiers too

• Like 2

I'm guessing most of us here can remember the Sweden v England games at the World Cup. It used to be that we either never bothered playing ;) or conspired to appear at the tournaments the other one didnt :thumb: until 1970 I think. But in more recent years our paths somehow seem to cross a bit in World Cups. This will be our 3rd meeting I think. No wins, No losses, 2 draws, 3 goals apiece, Sweden have never led. Something has to give!

The between the wars European held World Cups of the 30's had various issues getting teams to play and a bye and all that, but take nothing away from Sweden there's a QF and SF appearance on their record, before winning the Olympics in 1948 at Wembley after WWII (your greatest triumph boys?). Some amateur years garnered a creditable 3rd place finish in 1950 in Brazil before bans on foreign based players and missing out in 54 before hosting '58 and finishing runners-up to nipper Pele's Brazil of course. Didn't get there in the 60's but a decent 70's team got to 3 world cups going out in the groups in Mexico and Argentina and gaining a 5th place finish in Germany in '74 losing to 3rd place Poland and eventual winners W.Germany.

My living memory includes the awful showing at Italia '90 (They actually lost a group game to Scotland FFS!) followed outside of World Cup land by Euro'92 of course - hmmm enough about that one :P- before we miss out in '94 and Brolin, Dahlin, Kennet Andersson and co see off Romania on pens after squandering a lead and then trailing in extra time and losing a heartbreaker late-on to Brazil 1-0 in the semi's before trouncing surprise package Bulgaria in the meaningless play off game. :P

And then the Sven years and it was written that we would face off in '02 and '06 in the groups. Drawing both games - late equaliser for Larsson :rant:in '06!, and in  '02 with Mellberg and Vassell becoming the only Villa players to ever face each other at the WC with 90's Champo amazingly cheap at the start utility guy Niclas Alexandersson rescuing a point after Campbells header ;) and so now 2018 is the third world cup in a row (for Sweden ;)!) that we get drawn against each other.

That Cole goal though :wub:

Edited by VILLAMARV
just tidying up
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I can't see Russia beating Croatia.  Right now for me the final is looking like my tip (Brazil) versus my dark horse (Croatia).  Which makes it all the more **** galling that the few quid I did gamble went on Germany :rant:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Russia aren't that good, just playing with the nation behind them. Even then Uruguay showed them up and Spain massively let them off the hook with their 1000 + sideways passes.

Think with England's pace they'd beat them in a potential semi final.

Croatia still ones to avoid. Yes they weren't great the other night but get the feeling England will be gassed if they get to the semi finals and Modric-Rakitic can pass between the gaps in the defence and midfield.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Russia aren't that good, just playing with the nation behind them. Even then Uruguay showed them up and Spain massively let them off the hook with their 1000 + sideways passes.

Think with England's pace they'd beat them in a potential semi final.

Croatia still ones to avoid. Yes they weren't great the other night but get the feeling England will be gassed if they get to the semi finals and Modric-Rakitic can pass between the gaps in the defence and midfield.

Perisic has really impressed me so far as well.  He has shared the burden with Modric and Rakitic, making them very difficult to nullify effectively behind Mandzukic.

• Like 1

It really is all there for someone like Croatia. Probably the most open World Cup in memory - no one team stands out above the rest for me. All have similar strengths or weaknesses.

Obviously moments of magic will win it and France still look ominous to me. But if the front 5 for Croatia can stay fit and probably more importantly, ban free, then that whole unit works amazingly well for each other and has definitely been impressive.

Almost the exact opposite to the complete lack of shape last night from England after the subs.

I also think Perisic has been mint so far and deserves something for his troubles.

France are chugging along nicely imo. Brazil look like someone might do them 7-1 again to be honest. I think it's weighing on their minds and I just don't want to see much more of Neymar if I'm honest. The footie gods owe him and Suarez very little fortune imo. Waiting for Suarez to do something utterly preposterous that none of us could forsee and get sent off again to finish his hat-trick :thumb:. Belgium could do anything between losing 3-0 and winning 5-0, complete 'box of frogs' with them although, on paper it's hard to look past a Belgium v Croatia final it so very little matters about paper at this stage.

I see France v Belgium and Croatia in the semi's. It would be amazing if we could join them. (So obviously put your money on Uruguay v Brazil and Russia v Sweden now I've said it :thumb: )

If it was all to be perfect then surely beating Sweden, Russia and Uruguay (Getting one over on Suarez and co!) in the final would be the funniest way to win it imo B)

Not that I'm looking past the Sweden game or anything :ph34r: just enjoying being in the last 8 for the first time since that cheeky little winking word removed, grrr that cheeky winking word removed......who has gone home! :cheers:

9 hours ago, mjmooney said:

but Pickford (first time I've heard him speak) is clearly thick as pigshit. It's not just the accent, he's totally inarticulate. 

Is this really necessary? The bloke has just put us into the World Cup quarter finals.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 4

Â