World Cup 2026: Mexico, USA & Canada

Junxs

Can someone explain why the 2026 World Cup has been awarded to USA, Mexico and Canada

Mexico has already had it twice, USA had it just 6 world cups ago..

On top of that USA have a ban on visitors from many nations, and wants to build a wall to block Mexico who they will be sharing this world cup with!

Poor Morocco have bid 5 times for it but never had it.

If Canada had it solely I would understand, I don't get the need for 3 massive nations to share it. Especially when you consider how small Qatar is and will be hosting by itself.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

Can someone explain why the 2026 World Cup has been awarded to USA, Mexico and Canada

Mexico has already had it twice, USA had it just 6 world cups ago..

On top of that USA have a ban on visitors from many nations, and wants to build a wall to block Mexico who they will be sharing this world cup with!

Poor Morocco have bid 5 times for it but never had it.

If Canada had it solely I would understand, I don't get the need for 3 massive nations to share it. Especially when you consider how small Qatar is and will be hosting by itself.

It is because CONCACAF ( the North American confederation) are due a turn. 

The next world cup is Asia, this year is Europe, last WC was South America, the one before was Africa, the one before that was Europe, the one before that was Asia, the one before that was Europe, by the time 2026 comes around it will be a 32 year gap between CONCACAF hosting. 

The 2030 WC will be awarded to either Africa or COMNOBOL again.    

• Like 1

On 18/05/2018 at 18:52, Zatman said:

Fix is being dramatic, no games were manipulated the schedule was

Come on mate, manipulating fixtures to ensure certain teams avoid certain other teams is a fix.

• Like 2

Well Bayern, Barcelona or Real Madrid are always kept apart in Europe until semi-finals normally

France, Portugal and think was Netherlands were seeded in play-offs for one tournament so they avoided each other

A lot worse than what letter groups a teqm was in 6 months before a tournament starts

FIFA and UEFA really are killing their 2 flagship tournaments.

The next Euros will be a travesty.

And the new format for the WC is a joke. 48 teams (whoop di doo, more teams like Saudi, New Zeeland and Canada) games played in 3 different massive countries from Mexico City to Edmonton and from  Miami to Seattle.

Sure the stadiums are nice, but it's all about TV money and commercials. The average fans who likes to follow their team in the stands are screwed. The average price for a ticket is about £330 (obviously inflated by the silly VIP tickets) but still.

You'll have to fly everywhere and still rent a car to get to most games. Hotels will crazy expensive.

It won't even be football, it'll be presented as the World cup of "Soccer" by president Kanye West because as we all know the "world champion of football" is whoever wins the American championship at the Super Bowl...

I wonder if Havelange get his wish posthumous about the game being played in 4 quarters that he tried to enforce before the 94 WC in the US?  Americans get bored unless they see some bedazzled shit they can buy every 15 minutes or so apparently. All about those dollars.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, sne said:

The next Euros will be a travesty.

While I agree I do have mixed emotions as Ireland would never ever get a chance to host games in a major tournament

We laughably tried with Scotland for Euro 2008 ?

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Come on mate, manipulating fixtures to ensure certain teams avoid certain other teams is a fix.

i organised a sweepstake for the world cup, i made it so that i picked out germany but its not a fix because i cant guarantee that germany will even reach the final let alone win it ?

its not a sound argument is it?

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Well Bayern, Barcelona or Real Madrid are always kept apart in Europe until semi-finals normally

France, Portugal and think was Netherlands were seeded in play-offs for one tournament so they avoided each other

A lot worse than what letter groups a teqm was in 6 months before a tournament starts

?!

why not just seed Brazil and Germany to the final while we’re at it?

Edited by a m ole

7 hours ago, sne said:

I wonder if Havelange get his wish posthumous about the game being played in 4 quarters that he tried to enforce before the 94 WC in the US?  Americans get bored unless they see some bedazzled shit they can buy every 15 minutes or so apparently. All about those dollars.

I understand some of the sentiment of your post but US fans are actually really into football and it's growing rapidly compared to interest in the NFL which is declining at an alarming rate. So the stereotyping of all Americans is a bit uncalled for.

The current President on the other hand is an ignorant, vapid, narcissistic, feckless c*^t and I'm happy for you to slam him and his supporters as much as possible :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAuthority said:

I understand some of the sentiment of your post but US fans are actually really into football and it's growing rapidly compared to interest in the NFL which is declining at an alarming rate. So the stereotyping of all Americans is a bit uncalled for. 

And no other country will embrace a sporting circus quite like the americans. WC94 still holds the attendance record, even after the expansion of 98.

• 2 months later...

Not that anyone expected anything else, but Infantino truly is as bad or worse than the previous FIFA leaders.

2 years in he's among other things

adjusted the FIFA ethical code and

• banned the use of the word "corruption"
  • banned all slanderous (or internal critique) statements from FIFA officials towards FIFA, 
  • Shortened the period of limitation on bribes and corruption in the organization.

He's also smooched up to the leaders of Bahrain, Iran, Saudi Arabia, Russia and Trump

And of course he's keeping close with Gazprom, Qatar Airways, and Chinese Wanda who has close ties to Sepp Blatter and his family.

Remember 2 years ago when he said he'd put an end to corruption in FIFA :crylaugh:

Edited by sne

Â