Resident Evil 2 remake

Chindie

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Are the controls as shit as the original? Bloody hate the controls on those games so bloody difficult than what needs to be

It's a third person survival horror game. It plays more like Resident Evil 4 (if you've played that) than Resident Evil 2. 

Loved the demo. Modernising it makes it easier in some ways, harder in others. The camera makes things a bit less intense, but the lack of loading screens between rooms that left zombies pass through what were previously safe spaces more than makes up for it.

It's been years since I played a horror game though, and longer since I had the balls to finish one, I'm not sure I can handle it. :lol:

Edited by Davkaus

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd prefer the tank controls and fixed camera angle but that said, this still looks extremely good. Definitely buying.

Dataminers have found lines of code that reference "camera angles" so this game may also feature that way of playing. It'll likely be an unlockable mode, but there is a chance. Very good odds of a first person mode as well given it's on the same engine as Resident Evil 7. 

played 10 minutes of it just to be sure, needn't have worried, the shooting and cross hairs will take some getting used to and so will the icons everywhere but i think with the darkness / torch this could be even better than the original

and i cant remember the wording of the interview but they've said definitely no PSVR version of the game and i think they used lack of a first person mode as the reason why

Edited by villa4europe

Must admit I was a little disappointed. I don’t know what it was but it just felt off. 

Will probably  pick it up at a later date.

sounds like you drop the "very different" element of it, its more of a tweak (although IGN originally criticised this in their review and then had to edit it out)

still enough changes to warrant playing it at least 4 times according to the youtube review i watched last night

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

sounds like you drop the "very different" element of it, its more of a tweak (although IGN originally criticised this in their review and then had to edit it out)

still enough changes to warrant playing it at least 4 times according to the youtube review i watched last night

Cool, I think I read the original IGN review then as it was a bit odd.

This game is huge for replayability. You have the A/B scenarios. You have The 4th Survivor and The Tofu Survivor. Then you have The Ghost Survivors which is the first piece of free DLC coming shortly after release which is rumoured to be a randomised rogue-like. Then whatever costumes, weapons and cheats they have locked behind a certain number of completions. This game will likely keep people as busy as the original did. I think the only downside is some of the costumes being sold for real money on the in-game store, but those costumes seem to be keeping the DLC free so I'm not gonna complain too much.  

The Digital Foundry video there has a few comparison bits to the original, which is cool. Gets a bit spoiler-y with some of the stuff unfortunately (but then it is basically a 20 year old game, what you're getting spoiled on isn't so much what happens as how that thing has changed...).

It looks excellent.

seems to move so fast, its not a case of remembering the old game and find it easier i think its more everything being smoother and easier to get around, they've also tweaked the map (think RE0 showing you where stuff is) and the way you access it is a lot more intuitive so i find myself using it more

i knew it would happen form the videos but i forgot how annoying Mr X is

if i didnt have something else to do later today i think i would play it all the way through in 1 sitting

• Like 1

finished claires scenario A, about half way through Leons bit

its incredible, better than i could have hoped for, like i said before Mr X pisses me off a little bit because he adds an element of panic to it and speeds the game up and a big part of me just wants to take my time and explore the whole police station

Mr X spoiler

Spoiler

what i would recommend is killing as many zombies in tight corridors as possible and boarding up the windows before he comes, the way to avoid him is to walk around and not shoot anything so he cant hear you, the bit that really annoys me is the library with the crank and then moving the shelves, i had to do laps of the room up round and down because he was following me

and my main tip overall would be use the gunpowders, they're your main source of ammo

• 1 month later...
On 14/01/2019 at 21:06, Davkaus said:

It's been years since I played a horror game though, and longer since I had the balls to finish one, I'm not sure I can handle it. :lol:

I only just picked this up, and I've been playing it on and off today. I must have been about 12 when I beat the original version, it turns out 12 year old me was much less of a pussy, I hate it. :blush:

• Haha 1

Just finished the game with Leon. Have to say I thought it was brilliant. Genuine tension through the whole thing, low ammo half the time, zombies genuinely difficult to get away from. It feels like a true RE. I’m glad we got the third person camera back as I don’t think the first person from RE7 suited the game at all. I’m going to do Claire’s play through, however I believe it’s very much the same as Leon’s. Four extra mini campaigns to do after that with extra characters makes this well worth the money imo. Also Mr X stalking you can derail you from your current task, but hearing those loud footsteps coming quickly when you’re stuck down a corridor will shit you up good and proper.

• 5 months later...
Â