');
Sign in to follow this  
John

Your World Cup Favourites

On 08/06/2018 at 16:53, bobzy said:

I always look forward to World Cups but I find it hard to recall specific moments.  Germany 7-1 Brazil last time round was surreal - particularly those first 20 or so minutes where the Germans just blew Brazil away.  Stunning.

However, one game that I have always remembered, for whatever reason, is Mexico 1-2 Argentina (aet) from Germany 2006.  The Argentines were pretty heavy favourites (and potentially World Cup favourites at the time?) but Mexico were superb and contributed to a brilliant, open game that was completely end to end.  And of all the goals to seal victory?  Just wow.

16 hours ago, villa4europe said:

for whatever reason that video reminded me of a really good game between mexico and argentina in 06, close game both teams played really well, extra time screamer from maxi rodriguez (one for the players i forgot about thread) won it

🤬!!

• Like 2

Second on my list of favourite tournaments is France '98. It was brilliant. But what was Beckham doing? Proper Ronaldo was amazing right up until the final and the whole team sheet/seizure thing. Blanc suspended for the Final in his home nation from that Bilic dive (a travesty really even though it was Blanc). Hoddle being a knob not picking Gazza and leaving Beckham out the early games (The loss to Romania soon changed that!). Batistuta and Shearer trade penalties inside 10 mins. Owen's goal! Zanetti's equalizer, Sol Campbell's disallowed goal, Ince and Batty miss the penalties and it's all so horribly predictable an ending to one of the most memorable of England games. Great France team with Henry at the top of his game. Good Dutch team with Bergkamp pulling the strings - that goal against Argentina is gorgeous. Blanco of Mexico jumping out of the corner with the ball between his feet is the endearing memory for me. Mexico were a joy to watch that tournament. A great World Cup with a really weird ending. What should be remembered as France's greatest triumph is always going to be remembered as the Ronaldo Final for non footballing reasons. Brazil didn't show up that day. Easily my second favourite World Cup though.

Nigeria (and West's green hair) do for Spain in the groups. France as hosts stumble through needing an extra time opener from Blanc against Paraguay and penalties after a 0-0 draw with Italy in the quarters. Argentina, having done for us in an English classic lose to Bergkamp's sublime winner in the Quarters. Mexico make friends as the comeback kings. after being 1-0 down to South Korea they win 3-1 and then their other group games come back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 against first Belgium and then Holland. Before they take the lead against Germany only to get dumped out by Klinsmann and Beirhoff goals in the last 15 mins. The Croatian team from that time was a real beauty. Bilic, Stimac, Prosinecki, Boban, Stanic, Simic and all them along with tournament top scorer Davor Suker. Finishing 3rd in their 1st appearance they saw off Germany and took the lead against France in the Semi only to lose out to two second half Lilian Thuram goals - and then the Bilic dive that robbed Blanc the chance of leading his country out in the final. Dealt with it better than Gazza you might say! Rivaldo being mint before everyone had reason to dislike him. Jamaica, Japan and South Africa join Croatia in making their first appearances at the finals. First time we saw electronic subs boards held up, first time we had golden goals and the first time you could make 3 substitutions. Sounds a bit like the birth of the modern era that we know today! Pierre-Luigi Collina makes his World Cup debut that year, possibly the only referee I can honestly say I ever respected. Remember when Norway beat Brazil and dump Scotland out? (Although the 3-0 loss to Morocco had a lot to do with it!) Nigeria and Paraguay Dump Spain and Bulgaria out against all the seedings, Nigeria then crumble against Denmark, Paraguay losing out to France who walked their group and then had really nervy games up until the final.

On the goals front, Michael Owen v Argentina, Bergkamp v Argentina two of the best goals at any world cup and Ilie's finish (ROM) v Colombia is ridiculously good, Oliseh breaking the net for Nigeria against Spain, Njanka (CAM) v Austria, Scholes v Tunisia, Beckham's FK v Colombia, Zenden's swervy long range hit against Croatia, Hadji (yeah that one) v Norway and Scholes's hit against Tunisia all great goals. Anderton's against Colombia wasn't too shabby either.

Mid twenties, running a pub with a big screen, England had a chance (lol), Lots of good memories.

These Brazilian players are still my all time favourites and who I look to for inspiration when playing futsal.

I loved watching Zidane and France.

2014 Columbia was the standout for me, obviously James Rodriguez. How he didn't win the golden ball, or even place in the top 3, is beyond me.

My total disillusion with Germany annihilating Brazil in what I thought was setup to be a brilliant final.

Sign in to follow this