Your World Cup Favourites

John

The 2018 World Cup will soon be upon us. What better time to put our current football anxieties to one side (if only temporarily) and to focus on our favourite World Cup moments to date (seen live on television or in person)?

I have had a quick think and have given my own admittedly England biased choices below. How about doing the same yourself?

Favourite World Cups: 1st 1966, 2nd 1970, 3rd 1990.

Match: England 4 West Germany 2 (1966), Italy 3 Brazil 2 (1982), Portugal 5 North Korea 3 (1966).

Goal: Carlos Alberto 1970 WCF, David Platt 1990 winner vs Belgium, Geoff Hurst 1966 “They think it’s all over.”

Song: Nessun dorma (1990), Back Home (1970), World in Motion (1990).

Moment: Bobby Moore lifting the trophy 1966, Gazza’s tears 1990 vs Germany, Nobby Stiles post 66 final impromptu dancing.

Goal Celebration: Marco Tardelli 1982 WCF, Gary Lineker 1990 vs West Germany, Roger Mila vs Columbia 1990.

Team: England 1966, Brazil 1970, Netherlands 1974.

To add a little negativity in advance of what is to come this year, I add my three:

Worst moments: Gerd Muller’s winning goal 1970 WCQF, Waddle’s penalty miss vs West Germany 1990, Batty’s penalty miss vs Argentina 1998.

Infamous moments: The hand of Diego 1994, Schumacher’s brutal foul on Battiston 1982, Lampard’s equalising goal that wasn’t 2010 vs Germany.

• Like 2

Most of the good stuff is before more time, the first world cup I remember from start to finish is France 98 and what was one hell of a tournament (also remember a lot of USA 94). However I've seen hours upon hours of footage from all world cups from 1970, thanks a combination of recordings from my Dad (from 86 onwards) and VHS/DVDs that I grew up watching religiously. 

On that basis my favourite moments/goals are, in no particular order:

Pele's skill vs Uruguay where he ran around the keeper, would have been arguably the best goal of all time if he'd have scored it.

Maradona's second goal vs Belgium in 1986. In some ways better than the goal against England.   

Brazil's 1982 team. It was pure footballing joy, never has team scored so many amazing goals at a world cup, especially in that game against the Soviet Union. Plays like Zico, Eder, Falcao and Socrates where just an absolute pleasure to watch. 

Arie Haan's long rangers in 1974 world cup, especially the one against Italy.

Nelinho's goal against Italy in the 1978 world cup 3rd place play off.

Team:

Brazil 1982/1970/2002, Holland 1974, Sweden 1994

Celebration:

Finidi George 1994, Miller 1990, Tardelli 82.

Another random musing is that Italia 90 often gets slated for being dull, lowest goals/game ratio and of course that awful final but it probably stands out for the tournament with the highest quality of goals, some absolutely amazing goals in that tournament and shed load of freekicks. That Yugoslavia team was exceptional.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

I’m a touch too young to recall Italia 90. Otherwise Platt’s volley would easily top it for me.

Although I’m not Irish, this was my first properly enjoyable moment in a World Cup.

Other stand out moments off the top of my head- I’m part Bulgarian so Letchkov’s header against Germany in 1994.

For sheer drama/heartbreak England v Argentina in France 1998.

For sheer spectacle Germany 7-1 Brazil in 2014 has to be included too.

• Like 1

I always look forward to World Cups but I find it hard to recall specific moments.  Germany 7-1 Brazil last time round was surreal - particularly those first 20 or so minutes where the Germans just blew Brazil away.  Stunning.

However, one game that I have always remembered, for whatever reason, is Mexico 1-2 Argentina (aet) from Germany 2006.  The Argentines were pretty heavy favourites (and potentially World Cup favourites at the time?) but Mexico were superb and contributed to a brilliant, open game that was completely end to end.  And of all the goals to seal victory?  Just wow.

• Like 3

Welcome back Paul (or you could still be a regular, just haven't seen many of your posts in recent times.)

Anyway my favourite world cup was France 98, First one I watched and so many iconic players spread over so many teams (last world cup of likes of Hagi and Stoickhov). Great memories of Nigeria 3-2 Spain, England 2-2 Argentina, Holland 2-1 Argentina (that Bergkamp goal), Croatia 3-0 Germany and the infamous Ronaldo final that Zidane stole the glory from.

I've found most recent world cups pretty disappointing with the kncok out stages far too negative although obviously the 7-1 game will still be remembered in 100 years.

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

I always look forward to World Cups but I find it hard to recall specific moments.  Germany 7-1 Brazil last time round was surreal - particularly those first 20 or so minutes where the Germans just blew Brazil away.  Stunning.

However, one game that I have always remembered, for whatever reason, is Mexico 1-2 Argentina (aet) from Germany 2006.  The Argentines were pretty heavy favourites (and potentially World Cup favourites at the time?) but Mexico were superb and contributed to a brilliant, open game that was completely end to end.  And of all the goals to seal victory?  Just wow.

Argentina were really good to watch in that tournament, much better on the eye than the 2014 version.

Think Messi was only 18 then and likes of Tevez, Mascherano and Saviola were pretty young aswell. Riquelme was the main man back then and they scored a brilliant team goal v Serbia and Montenegro, think it was 20 odd passes.

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Argentina were really good to watch in that tournament, much better on the eye than the 2014 version.

Think Messi was only 18 then and likes of Tevez, Mascherano and Saviola were pretty young aswell. Riquelme was the main man back then and they scored a brilliant team goal v Serbia and Montenegro, think it was 20 odd passes.

Pekerman made strange calls Scaloni over Zanetti and Ayala not in squad, then left Messi and Tevez on bench against a tired Germany

Ayala was in, scored against Germany in the quarters. Yes not bringing Messi on against Germany was baffling although he did have a lot of injury problems at the start so might not have been fully fit as it was right at the start of his career.

Zanetti also missed 2010 world cup despite winning everything with Inter that season, Maradon picked Jonas Gutierrez instead.

25 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Ayala was in, scored against Germany in the quarters. Yes not bringing Messi on against Germany was baffling although he did have a lot of injury problems at the start so might not have been fully fit as it was right at the start of his career.

Zanetti also missed 2010 world cup despite winning everything with Inter that season, Maradon picked Jonas Gutierrez instead.

true Ayala was, some other big player they didnt bring though I might be mixing up with 2010 as Cambiasso and Zanetti were both dropped after winning everything with Inter

• Like 1

Never have I cared less about a tournament than I do about the upcoming farce in Russia.

But onto the question at hand, Platt v Belgium has to be my favourite WC moment.

As for my favourite game, that has to go to Brazil's pummelling by the Germans. After being over there following England, and the far from warm welcome afforded anyone who wasn't a Brazil fan by the locals, I was laughing my balls off when they get that tonking. 

Special mention to the Belgium v USA game, also at WC '14. The extra-time in that match was extraordinary. 

Edited by One For The Road

Had to have a real think about this one! I think there have been 4 really good tournaments in my living memory. Mexico '86 was one of them.

As far as great goals go, Negrete's scissor kick for Mexico's first goal up there often gets largely forgotten I find. Maradona's 2 great goals from this tournament against Belgium and England were obviously excellent and are well documented. But Mexico '86 had so many tasty goals IIRC. I don't think we've seen more great goals at one tournament since. 3 different USSR players with absolute torpedos. Josimar and Careca with a brace of beauties apiece for Brazil and Edinho's against Poland, a couple of crackers from surprise package Morocco, Michael Laudrup's goal against Uruguay and Jean Tigana's for France v Hungary also linger in the memory from many a replay. It was also some final that year.

First World Cup game I ever watched live on the telly was Mexico '86 and the hand of god game. Was on holiday in Scotland with no TV and missed all the games before it. 9 yr old me had begged to stay up to watch it and then that...! Welcome to football! I was on team Steve Hodge back then me. Oh dear. A bit young to appreciate it all. First Panini sticker Album I ever had. The only time football has made me cry as far as I can recall. My first ever memories of feeling cheated.

We in England have scars from this tournament and rightfully so but when you compare it to other tournaments for great goals, decent teams, the world's best player in his absolute prime, FIFA's holy grail of a showpiece final actually being a showpiece, great players, surprises, great and memorable games and yes, refereeing controversy, it had it all. France, Germany and Belgium got to the semi's alongside Argentina. A (arguably THE) great France team, with Platini, Giresse and Tigana in their pomp has seen off holders Italy and much fancied Brazil with Socrates - Zico - Falcao - Careca - Josimar in one of the great games. Albeit one decided ultimately on penalties. Only to fall to the 'efficient' West Germany in the Semi's and goals from Brehme and Voller having stumbled past Morocco 1-0 and hosts Mexico on pens after a 0-0 draw. Surprise package Belgium and young player of the tournament Scifo were seen off by Maradona almost single handedly with another great goal and the final was probably the best final of my living memory won by the odd goal in 5 and all in normal time.

And as for England we did our bit in getting to the QF's, 2 x 3-0 victories in the bag after a slow start against Portugal and Morocco and Lineker finished with the golden boot as top scorer. Basically, The loss to Portugal, The draw with Morocco Wilkins red card and Robson's injury, and then it clicked against Poland and Paraguay and we had a decent tournament for us by any standard even with one of the most contentious endings in footballing history. Mexico '86 is right up there as one of my favourite world cups. Kinda made me fall in love with footie.

• Like 1

Favourite WC's  in order

90, 94 and 98

I enjoy them all but I'll never enjoy them as much as I did when I was younger. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

A (arguably THE) great France team, with Platini, Giresse and Tigana in their pomp has seen off holders Italy and much fancied Brazil with Socrates - Zico - Falcao - Careca - Josimar in one of the great games. Albeit one decided ultimately on penalties

That game was truly insane. It had everything. Open goal misses, penalties (one of the post off the goalie and in). Platini misses penalty, ref ends game before time expires, Zico misses and scores a penalty, the Careca goal, Socrates ludicrous run up, and of course the most blatant foul not given ever, and the miss afterwards

If you haven't watched this game, please do, NOW

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Xela said:

Favourite WC's  in order

90, 94 and 98

I enjoy them all but I'll never enjoy them as much as I did when I was younger. 

With internet the world cup is not so exotic but still quite exciting for me :)

10 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Had to have a real think about this one! I think there have been 4 really good tournaments in my living memory. Mexico '86 was one of them.

As far as great goals go, Negrete's scissor kick for Mexico's first goal up there often gets largely forgotten I find. Maradona's 2 great goals from this tournament against Belgium and England were obviously excellent and are well documented. But Mexico '86 had so many tasty goals IIRC. I don't think we've seen more great goals at one tournament since. 3 different USSR players with absolute torpedos. Josimar and Careca with a brace of beauties apiece for Brazil and Edinho's against Poland, a couple of crackers from surprise package Morocco, Michael Laudrup's goal against Uruguay and Jean Tigana's for France v Hungary also linger in the memory from many a replay. It was also some final that year.

First World Cup game I ever watched live on the telly was Mexico '86 and the hand of god game. Was on holiday in Scotland with no TV and missed all the games before it. 9 yr old me had begged to stay up to watch it and then that...! Welcome to football! I was on team Steve Hodge back then me. Oh dear. A bit young to appreciate it all. First Panini sticker Album I ever had. The only time football has made me cry as far as I can recall. My first ever memories of feeling cheated.

We in England have scars from this tournament and rightfully so but when you compare it to other tournaments for great goals, decent teams, the world's best player in his absolute prime, FIFA's holy grail of a showpiece final actually being a showpiece, great players, surprises, great and memorable games and yes, refereeing controversy, it had it all. France, Germany and Belgium got to the semi's alongside Argentina. A (arguably THE) great France team, with Platini, Giresse and Tigana in their pomp has seen off holders Italy and much fancied Brazil with Socrates - Zico - Falcao - Careca - Josimar in one of the great games. Albeit one decided ultimately on penalties. Only to fall to the 'efficient' West Germany in the Semi's and goals from Brehme and Voller having stumbled past Morocco 1-0 and hosts Mexico on pens after a 0-0 draw. Surprise package Belgium and young player of the tournament Scifo were seen off by Maradona almost single handedly with another great goal and the final was probably the best final of my living memory won by the odd goal in 5 and all in normal time.

And as for England we did our bit in getting to the QF's, 2 x 3-0 victories in the bag after a slow start against Portugal and Morocco and Lineker finished with the golden boot as top scorer. Basically, The loss to Portugal, The draw with Morocco Wilkins red card and Robson's injury, and then it clicked against Poland and Paraguay and we had a decent tournament for us by any standard even with one of the most contentious endings in footballing history. Mexico '86 is right up there as one of my favourite world cups. Kinda made me fall in love with footie.

Great write up. Also my 1st world cup. Probably my favorite. '90 was great as a teenager following England, but still '86 seemed the most exotic. Players you've never heard of and each country had distinct playing style - not like the homogenous glob that is international football today.

Now, sadly World Cups are sanitized boring affairs.

Never forget the joy of seeing a swap. 

Got
Got
Got
Got
Got
Got
Got
Got
Got
Got
Got