Time for a takeover

Jareth

Anybody got a Times sub? Would like to read the rest of this.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/billionaires-ride-in-to-rescue-aston-villa-l2fdpkvk6

England’s World Cup defeat by Croatia 11 days ago may have resulted in national disappointment, but for Aston Villa supporters it could prove to have been one of the most pivotal events in the club’s history, given what was unfolding in an Idaho hotel room as the semi-final took place.

Sequestered there while attending the annual Sun Valley “moguls” conference were billionaire friends Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens. By the end of the evening and despite the anti-climax of seeing the team they were supporting lose, the pair had hatched a plan to buy Villa.

Nine days later, the pair had each bought 27.5% of the Championship club from Tony Xia, for a controlling interest in a venture he had mortgaged to the hilt in…

13 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Who?

Brought to you courtesy of page 53 in this thread...

On 20/07/2018 at 16:42, villianusa said:

If helping the club stay out of administration wasn't enough, another reason to like Wes Edens

Edited by TheStagMan
Speelin mistok

Having read that Times article, I am now more excited than ever - this is Abramovich levels of money and enthusiasm. I seriously think they are going to do what it takes re FFP, and then some.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Having read that Times article, I am now more excited than ever - this is Abramovich levels of money and enthusiasm. I seriously think they are going to do what it takes re FFP, and then some.

Whoever the source is seems to have the inside scoop, and it sounds like they mean business. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Whoever the source is seems to have the inside scoop, and it sounds like they mean business. 

Steady now. 

The Times specifically named another American only a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully they are more informed this time though. 

I like a the comments about heavy investment in the youth set up. We've not produced enough talent. 

Would also like to see heavy investment in the scouting network as well. 

• Like 3

The last 2 mornings I have woken up and after that first few seconds of jumbled thoughts have cleared the first thing that has come straight to the forefront of my mind is that we are now owned by 2 multi billionaires. Then I smile. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robtaylor200 said:

My thoughts are

Bankroll Bruce Or spend money on his hand shake and bring in a new Manager (Not Henrie please)

Love being optimistic again 

I wouldn't bankroll Bruce. Nothing in his career gives me any confidence to suggest that he can build a long-lasting, sustainable model at VP. We will end up signing players with bugger all re-sale value, in the hope that we can get promoted in that season. No more all-or-nothing gambles please.

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

I wouldn't go that far yet, we need to see how it unfolds but early signs are (cautiously) positive. When Xia came on board initially he looked and sounded like a total charlatan, these guys however look far more legit and in the case of Sawiris, has a genuinely verifiable net worth and history. The absolutely key thing for us is having the owners long term interest and enthusiasm and that remains to be seen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

Ney bother - you can get two free articles for free - hope ok to post this mods

England’s World Cup defeat by Croatia 11 days ago may have resulted in national disappointment, but for Aston Villa supporters it could prove to have been one of the most pivotal events in the club’s history, given what was unfolding in an Idaho hotel room as the semi-final took place.

Sequestered there while attending the annual Sun Valley “moguls” conference were billionaire friends Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens. By the end of the evening and despite the anti-climax of seeing the team they were supporting lose, the pair had hatched a plan to buy Villa.

Nine days later, the pair had each bought 27.5% of the Championship club from Tony Xia, for a controlling interest in a venture he had mortgaged to the hilt in a gamble to win promotion, only for the team to fall short in the playoff final against Fulham in May.

Given the Midlands club’s current debt, the pair were able to wrestle the 55% controlling interest for £30m although if the new owners are to fulfil the ambition of Xia, they are looking at bankrolling manager Steve Bruce with a considerably larger sum.

“They obviously have deep pockets,” said a source close to the deal. “They spoke about ‘the upper echelons of English football’ so they are not going into this to stay in the Championship

“They are genuine football fans. Nassef, in particular, is a pretty private guy for a man of his wealth. He is not doing this because he is a brash guy who wants to splash the cash. He’s doing it primarily for his love of the game and that applies to both of them.”

If the speed and efficient nature of their takeover is anything to go by, Villa supporters could be in for a spectacular ride. Within three days of the Croatia game, Sawiris, a London-based Egyptian businessman worth an estimated £5.2bn, and Edens had relocated to the Hilton on Edgware Road for meetings. By last Monday, talks with Xia concluded at Sopwell House in St Albans, where a deal was finalised.

The purchase marks the fulfilment of the billionaires’ long-standing interest in the sport. Edens, a co-owner in NBA team the Milwaukee Bucks, had attended every World Cup since USA 1994 until this summer and spoke to the former England captain David Beckham about becoming involved in his Miami MLS franchise, while Sawiris’ array of business interests includes a board position at Adidas.

The pair would not be the first successful businessmen to flounder in football — as Xia will testify after a summer in which playoff defeat was followed by an unpaid £4m tax bill and concerns about Villa’s inability to meet the Football League’s financial fair play regulations concerning “profitability and sustainability”.

The situation led to an acceptance that any saleable assets — particularly the creative midfielder Jack Grealish, aged 22 — would be liable to being sold and drove Xia to look for fresh investment.

The crisis also created uncertainty over the status of veteran manager Bruce and he, as well as the club’s immediate financial obligations and transfer policy, will be widely examined by the new owners when they convene with Xia at Villa Park, possibly as early as tomorrow. Villa open the Championship season with a tricky trip to Hull City on Monday, August 6.

Short-term, sources talk of “stabilising” the club’s finances while the duo are bullish about the need to find a way to not only bring in new blood but also keep players such as Grealish.

Longer-term, they have spoken of investing heavily in youth development and competing for honours, while Villa fans can expect a more “traditional” approach from the reserved Sawiris. Xia’s eccentric social media antics could be a thing of the past.

Indeed, whether Xia has a long-term role remains to be seen. With Sawiris “executive chairman” and Edens “co-chairman,” Xia remains on the board, for now, with his minority interest.

There is, therefore, a large element of the unknown facing Villa but, if the success Edens has enjoyed in running the Bucks over the past four years is anything to go by, the signs are good. Not only has the basketball team’s value nearly doubled to just over a billion dollars but the club recently re-signed star player Giannis Antetokounmpo to a four-year, £76.1m contract worth £366,000 a week. Bruce and Villa fans dare only dream of such a future.

"So did you have a good time last night honey?"

"Yes, we watched some of that world soccer, had a few beers with the lads, we got a bit drunk and joked about buying a football club! Haha! Good job we didn't get too hammered otherwise we might actually have... Hang on, where has all my money gone? Oh no!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 21/07/2018 at 10:48, Nigel said:

Yep this is what I felt after the initial buzz wore off. This man does not need us to become self sustaining as quick as others would.

However it has to be said that I'd prefer a sole owner as it usually works better.

However from the position we were in this seems to best outcome we could have hoped for. 

I'm not so sure Nige.....more than one owner, have to be more accountable to each other.....it has to be a tad more transparent.

We have seen 2 get it wrong and there was no one to stop them.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'm not so sure Nige.....more than one owner, have to be more accountable to each other.....it has to be a tad more transparent.

We have seen 2 get it wrong and there was no one to stop them.

Suppose its complete guesswork really as we have no idea how its going to work.

Â