Best Gaming Sites/Haunts/Forums

Ingram85

I’m looking for a new gaming site to get my news from. My regular choice has become insufferable by mixing in biased social politics with their news and editorials plus their reviews are opinionated blogs that say nothing about the game they are reviewing. Also, I hate Ellie Gibson and Wesley Yin-Poole so no prises for guessing which site I’m abandoning. 

Are there any (good) sites that just strictly focus on gaming instead of mixing in politics/religion/fluff? 

reddit.com/r/games is a fairly good resource for finding out about the latest game news/reviews. Fairly strict posting rules so it's not flooded with spam and memes like the rest of Reddit.

The only site I go out of my way to read almost every article on is Rock Paper ~Shotgun, but they only cover PC games.

Edited by Davkaus

Kotaku isn't too bad at times for news although i always prefered it years back when it was primarily focused on Japanese stuff, as with anywhere some of the reviews are way off the mark and as with any comments section there is the usual selection of morons

Other than that i only really ever look at

https://www.trueachievements.com/

https://www.truetrophies.com/

They are mainly achievement/trophy hunting based but the news is usually up to date & lots of useful stuff in some of the game forums.

Most of the smaller indie forums seem to have died a death with people moving over to avforums or digitalspy years ago but even those are now much quieter as people just use reddit/twitter

Edited by LakotaDakota

I still use GC (Game Central, the successor to Digitiser) everyday. Great reviews with just the right amount of humour (ie not much) and lack of hyperbole, well reported news stories, and amongst the best interviews I've ever read with gaming devs/publishers/etc. 

The major downside is you have to negotiate the abhorrent articles on the Metro's website, and maybe it's not for everyone as it's text only, with very little even in the way of pictures. In addition some of the reader articles and letters they post are just a bit shit, really. 

And in case you've picked up the Metro and read the gaming bit and thought it's a bit rubbish, the paper and online articles are by different teams. 

9 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I'm a regular on www.gamefaqs.com

Have been going there for probably 13 years. Man that's depressing.

Used to be on there as Kanenite85 for about 10 years as well. I think I used to be on the pro wrestling forum and 313 with you back in the day. 

Used to visit Kotaku loads back in the day too. I’m basically after Eurogamer without the social justice warrior bollocks and staff that are actually interested in games instead of using their job as a soapbox.

Really not many good ones around. I wish I was clever as I’d have a go at starting one up myself.

@Ingram85

Ah 313. I went back there a few months back and it's a shadow of its former self. Full of horrible little trolls (some old faces are still there though - not the good ones.)

Pulled one of the few girls on there many moons ago ?

Just now, Dante_Lockhart said:

@Ingram85

Ah 313. I went back there a few months back and it's a shadow of its former self. Full of horrible little trolls (some old faces are still there though - not the good ones.)

Pulled one of the few girls on there many moons ago ?

I can imagine, it’s been so long since I’ve been back that the only ones I deffo remember are bmxbandit and yourself. Was quality back in the day, some great stories.

Youve piqued my interest, I’m gonna have a look. Wonder if my account still works?!

I'm not a member there, but I pretty much lurk on Resetera because the forum is full of industry insiders, developers and public relations people from studios around the world. If you want the latest news/leaks/speculation then Resetera has you covered.

Other than that I just use Reddit with r/games which has been mentioned here being great if you just want everything in one place.

I used to be a regular on IGN but over the years its moved away from gaming and is more of a movie/tv site now. Havent used it for over a year

Giant Bomb, rllmuk and Reddit are basically all I use these days. I liked Rock Paper Shotgun when I was deeper into PC gaming. 

On 04/06/2018 at 14:30, PieFacE said:

Resetera is alright for a quick glance. That's about all I use. 

Same. They get a bit twitchy though if you say anything remotely bad about Nintendo, but it’s a great source for early info. 

1 hour ago, jim said:

Same. They get a bit twitchy though if you say anything remotely bad about Nintendo, but it’s a great source for early info. 

They are twitchy about all sorts of stuff. Say the wrong joke around the wrong people and you're banned. The site is great for early info because of it's links to industry professionals but I couldn't see myself posting on there, far too many snowflakes for my liking..

6 hours ago, Daweii said:

They are twitchy about all sorts of stuff. Say the wrong joke around the wrong people and you're banned. The site is great for early info because of it's links to industry professionals but I couldn't see myself posting on there, far too many snowflakes for my liking..

Oh yes, the hive mind is real in that place!

• Like 1

Â