The Rebuild

omariqy

It may have been a pre-season game but there looked like a settled team out there and ironically the first championship season we can say that, is the one we are about to have it all ripped up again. If we are to lose players from here on in then maybe it's not so much a rebuild and more just swapping a few key players. The good news is that the likes of Lansbury, RDL, Green, Elphick could slot into this team and have us compete at this level, but undoubtedly when Jack goes there is nobody who can take his place. 

Just now, Jareth said:

It may have been a pre-season game but there looked like a settled team out there and ironically the first championship season we can say that, is the one we are about to have it all ripped up again. If we are to lose players from here on in then maybe it's not so much a rebuild and more just swapping a few key players. The good news is that the likes of Lansbury, RDL, Green, Elphick could slot into this team and have us compete at this level, but undoubtedly when Jack goes there is nobody who can take his place. 

Gil?

?

At the very least, offer them 2 of Cambell, N'Goy, Souttar and Tymon on loan for the season say, in return for Adomah + 3m.
We get a very creative speedy player for a position we really need.
We also get to blood youngsters in the Champs and increase their value (or realise they will never be good enough and cut our losses)

In turn, they will get (a) the cash, (b) the players wages of their books, (c) 2x lower priced players to replace a first team that they will largely have to get rid of.

Don't worry lads, we are sorted. We are going to blood some nobodies from Stoke's famed youth academy.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Don't worry lads, we are sorted. We are going to blood some nobodies from Stoke's famed youth academy.

Give us Bojan on 5k per week instead.

38 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Bit premature to talk of a rebuild before we've finished falling to pieces isn't it?

I watched Neil Taylor start a game for us as a left winger the other day. Don’t tell me there is further down for us to go! 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, villaglint said:

I watched Neil Taylor start a game for us as a left winger the other day. Don’t tell me there is further down for us to go! 

There may well be further to fall, but what you saw on Tuesday was Taylor start a game at Wing back as we tried 3 at the back. He did not play as a winger per se!

2 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

There may well be further to fall, but what you saw on Tuesday was Taylor start a game at Wing back as we tried 3 at the back. He did not play as a winger per se!

Yes you might be right. I've seen that written elsewhere. To be honest the formation was really confusing me for most of the game. Hutton was very wide so I thought he was playing LB and it was a 442 with Lansbury on the Right of Midfield but he never seemed to be holding that position which was baffling me. 

So it was effectively a 361 although Grealish was pretty much given licence to do whatever he wanted. Interesting I suppose preseason is as good a time as any to try these things. 

Neil Taylor is never a wing back though. He is a solid defender (some of the time) but I dont think I've ever seen him go past a defender in an attacking sense. 

8 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

He stands out as the weak link in the team.

On 17/07/2018 at 21:46, Jareth said:

Possibly O'Hare?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villaglint said:

Yes you might be right. I've seen that written elsewhere. To be honest the formation was really confusing me for most of the game. Hutton was very wide so I thought he was playing LB and it was a 442 with Lansbury on the Right of Midfield but he never seemed to be holding that position which was baffling me. 

So it was effectively a 361 although Grealish was pretty much given licence to do whatever he wanted. Interesting I suppose preseason is as good a time as any to try these things. 

Neil Taylor is never a wing back though. He is a solid defender (some of the time) but I dont think I've ever seen him go past a defender in an attacking sense. 

Totally agree with that . It is a position that needs attending to if we end up with any money!!

2 hours ago, pintpotvilla said:

the Welsh Roberto Carlos to go with Scottish Cafu

14 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Depends what the target is for this season, The new owners haven’t really spoken of targets and Bruce seems to be avoiding the media now so..

Exactly.

We need to see some developments otherwise I am not feeling confident about this season even less than I was.  :o

What are the fans’ general expectations this season? I’ve seen so many say ‘we won’t finish higher than 10th’ which means we’ll need to lose/draw a hell of a lot games to manage that. Do we really think Bruce is gonna last that long? Even if the owners want to ride it out with him, we all know it doesn’t take 2-3 losses on the bounce to turn our lot toxic. 

Its going to be a funny season I feel ?

1 hour ago, Warnock said:

What are the fans’ general expectations this season? I’ve seen so many say ‘we won’t finish higher than 10th’ which means we’ll need to lose/draw a hell of a lot games to manage that. Do we really think Bruce is gonna last that long? Even if the owners want to ride it out with him, we all know it doesn’t take 2-3 losses on the bounce to turn our lot toxic. 

Its going to be a funny season I feel ?

For me this season was about the rebuild, moving in a different direction and hopefully laying the foundations for something good.

Then we got new owners and although the aim remained the same I did get my hopes up bit.

And now I don't really care if we finish 18th 12th or 8th. I imagine it will be a mix between last season and the one before that. 

A 46 game slog towards mediocrity.

But depending on what the new owners have in plan it might all change if they bring in a new manager or go nuts in the January window.

Not ideal to change manager mid season, but I imagine this will happen once they identify their man for the job.

Or they already have and it's Bruce...

Totally depends on the next few weeks. Get a CB in, keep Jack and Chester and I can't see any reason why we can't be up in the top 6 again. Certainly we could hit the ground running if we go into next year with a relatively unchanged first team.

Waiting on loans to be done by the end of August. If we can get a LB, CB, Winger and CF in and they do their bit along the way I can't see why we wouldn't be "There or thereabouts"

Start is all about the momentum from last year - Cardiff did well to maintain it last season.

Like Tro I think we need a Sol Bamba type to slot in next to Chester though

• Like 3

There is still a lot of work to be done with the squad. 

We need another centre back and a striker as priority. Although Bruce clearly sees Jedinak as a CB now, which is risky.

I can’t see where the goals will come from currently. Kodjia looks a shadow of himself, all other strikers are injured. Adomah hit freak form last season, which he won’t replicate. Hourihane will chip in but we need a consistent scorer to challenge. 

I think Bruce knows this, so it’ll be intriguing to see who comes in. 

Â