World Cup : Group G (Eng, Bel, Pan, Tun)

BOF

6 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

I know it was more a lighthearted reminder that we have said we'll get out of the group a few times and rarely has it gone to plan even when we've gone through. Uruguay and Italy were indeed tough games last time out. No one saw Costa Rica topping the group coming though. Hardly DrP's most contentious post I thought. But you're right

Apart from 2014, the last time England failed to get out of the group stage (assuming they qualified) was 1958.

Edited by Stevo985

2006 England took 7 points from Sweden, Trinidad and Tobago and Paraguay.

Matches weren't great to watch especially considering the hype over that team but was a comfortable enough progression but think it will be similar this time with the teams being a similar standard.

he's done ok at utd when i've seen him to be fair and i seem to remember him having a great goal saving tackle for england in a recent friendly vs a top team, still got that little bit of pace to get away with bad positioning and can cover

and the other option would be danny rose

He's had a good season for Utd playing primarily at fullback so I'm ok with it.

I mean we're a million miles away from when we had Ashley Cole starting there, but in terms of what's available right now then it makes sense.

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

So we are going into a world cup and it's been confirmed Ashley Young will be our starting left back against Tunisia

God help us.

He's the starter for 2nd in the Premier League.  And England use wingbacks.  If anything he's tailor-made for the role.  Too often England have struggled in the past to have quality players in their preferred positions who play at the top end of the Premier League, but you've got one here.

Round pegs in round holes.  When was the last time an England team adopted that approach?

I've bleated on about it for years now, but we've lurched from one style to another - Christmas tree formations; shoehorning Scholes, Lampard, Gerrard; 4-2-3-1 - and without really thinking about the players we have for the system.

A good example is Vardy - he's worthy of his place in the squad, but we all know how to get the best out of him.  Have we played that way under previous managers?  At the last tournament we had Harry Kane, arguably one of the best strikers in world football at the moment, taking corners.

The only player who will be out of position will be Kyle Walker, but I can see how that will work in a 3-man central defence because of his pace.  It also gives the option of going to a flat back four and pushing him out to right back.

I feel strangely optimistic about this tournament, probably more than I ever did when our squad was full of big hitters.

• Like 1

Despite Southgate not being amazing at U21 management level, I wonder how much we underestimate that experience of taking teams to tournaments?

The feedback seems to be overwhelmingly positive regarding how Southgate is handling the players (and the media) at the camp so far in this tournament. You'd think that will give us an extra something on the pitch if the mood is good.

Is that something we usually overlook when appointing national managers?

• Like 1

We might even top this group because Belgium have the exact same issue as us - albeit with a much better squad, but once we're in the knock outs I fancy either Poland/Colombia to send us home. This is the worst England 11 I've ever seen and it looks like we're trying a 3 at the back because we're not really sure what will work. We're crap, we've played crap for ages and haven't beaten even an average team in decades

Â