World Cup : Group G (Eng, Bel, Pan, Tun)

BOF

yeah its one of the weakest groups in the tournament , tunisia's ranking of 15th isnt quite as bad as belgiums ranking of 3rd, and they have the luxury of playing the 3rd best team 1st and the best team last,  beat tunisia in the opener and they should be able to just ride the group out after that,  i expect both teams to be through by the time we play belgium and more than that with us being group G and poland playing colombia in the 2nd game the whole tournament will be mapped out for us by that game

southgate being a nice enough bloke and looking like an england manager who finally has a style and shape that he wants to play rather than the feel of a man who is trying to keep newspaper writers and liverpool fans happy he might slowly be increasing my hope for this tournament...its gone from 0% to around 7%

its got convincingly beat belgium and then lose to poland written all over it

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

England wont make it out of the group.

Course they will.

I know being miserable and negative is your thing, but you don't really think we'll go out in the groups do you?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I honestly don't think England will make it out.

England’s squad is very average but I still think even if we don’t play great we will get out of that group. 

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I think we'll comfortably get out of the group, whip the Ingerlunders up in to a frenzy, then get battered by Poland.

being knocked out by Poland would really wind them up too ;)

9 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I wonder what we said last time about getting out of the group? :D

I think most people thought it would be difficult to get out of the group and we'd be lucky if we did.

It was a much MUCH harder group that time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I think we'll comfortably get out of the group, whip the Ingerlunders up in to a frenzy, then get battered by Poland.

there will be some police overtime requests going in that day, kidderminster would be an interesting place

edit before anyone says first time for everything ?

Edited by villa4europe

7 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

I wonder what we said last time about getting out of the group? :D

England did unless you don't mean the euros?

Reality is Panama are just happy to be at a world cup and will probably lose all three games as they were very limited in qualifying and their friendly results not been much better. Tunisia probably weakest African team aswell.

England will get through in second but most likely will then play Colombia. Don't think anyone can be confident of beating them in knockouts tbh.

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think most people thought it would be difficult to get out of the group and we'd be lucky if we did.

It was a much MUCH harder group that time.

I know it was more a lighthearted reminder that we have said we'll get out of the group a few times and rarely has it gone to plan even when we've gone through. Uruguay and Italy were indeed tough games last time out. No one saw Costa Rica topping the group coming though. Hardly DrP's most contentious post I thought. But you're right

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

England did unless you don't mean the euros?

Reality is Panama are just happy to be at a world cup and will probably lose all three games as they were very limited in qualifying and their friendly results not been much better. Tunisia probably weakest African team aswell.

England will get through in second but most likely will then play Colombia. Don't think anyone can be confident of beating them in knockouts tbh.

and you're not, which surprises me, because you normally are :) My attempted joviality was based around a lot of people I knowing saying things like you have said about Panama but about Costa Rica and it all blew up in our faces.

I think England will make it out of the group fwiw people, It's just hardly the most out there thing I've ever read on VT was all.

'86 was dodgy until the Poland game, '90 was by the skin of our teeth, '94 we weren't there, '98 in second after losing to Romania, Unconvincing '02 and '06 under Sven, Booed off against Algeria under Capello when we scraped 2nd behind the USA, 2014 obviously finished bottom of the group. We've never qualified easily in my life is the point.

I quite like this squad though and the way Southgate is going about things. I mean he'll play Jordan Henderson and that and the match threads will probably therefore contain more expletives from me than normal and we'll probably scrape a draw with Panama but I think the 'go out and enjoy yourselves' atmosphere he's pushing can only be a good thing.

Yeah, I like Southgate. He seems to be much smarter than previous managers in the way he goes about pretty much everything. Shame that he's got the weakest pool of players to pick from that I can remember in my lifetime.

• Like 1

Â