World Cup : Group A (Rus, KSA, Egy, Uru)

BOF

2 hours ago, sne said:

Saudi players also playing for the privilege not to be publicly caned, tortured and thrown in jail when they get back home.

I'm no lover of KSA in many ways, but I don't think that's something they've been up to. 

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'm no lover of KSA in many ways, but I don't think that's something they've been up to. 

True that's probably more Uday Hussain.

The Saudis just said their players would be "punished" after the Russia defeat.

They are to disclose what those penalties will be.

9 minutes ago, sne said:

True that's probably more Uday Hussain.

The Saudis just said their players would be "punished" after the Russia defeat.

They are to disclose what those penalties will be.

Yeah, Uday Hussain was absolutely notorious for that stuff. 

There's a very weird story going around about Salah. Considering international retirement it seems. 

Mohamed Salah is reportedly considering quitting the Egypt national team because of his involvement with Chechnya during the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

The Egypt team have been based in Chechnya, and the Liverpool star was pictured with leader Ramzan Kadyrov, who subsequently made the Egyptian an "honorary citizen" of the Chechen Republic.

CNN's John Sinnott and Alireza Hajihosseini report that Salah "feels exposed" by the events and does not want to be used for political gain.

Salah has emerged as one of the brightest stars in European football after a prolific season for Liverpool. He scored 43 goals in all competitions and helped the team to the final of the UEFA Champions League.

The forward is Egypt's star player although he missed their opening World Cup game against Uruguay due to a shoulder problem picked up against Real Madrid in the Champions League final.

During the competition. Salah met Kadyrov and was made an honorary citizen of Chechnya, as shown by Russia correspondent Alec Luhn:

Sports editor Karim Zidan explained Kadyrov's motives:

Kadyrov has been in charge of Chechnya since 2007 but has been accused of human rights violations, per Sky Sports News.

The Chechen leader denied using Salah for political reasons, per Steve Rosenberg at BBC News:

Luhn felt Salah has been let down by people around him:

Salah played in Egypt's second World Cup game of the tournament, which saw them knocked out after a 3-1 defeat to hosts Russia.

The Liverpool star is also expected to start in their final group game Monday when the Pharaohs face Saudi Arabia.

After the game, Salah will be able to return home and enjoy a break from football before he is due to return to Liverpool for pre-season training.

The forward will have time to seriously consider his international future after the World Cup and decide if he wants to bring it to a premature end.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2782708-report-mo-salah-could-quit-egyptian-national-team-over-chechnya-controversy?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

I know it can't really be fixed.  But being the even lettered groups (B, D, F, H) is quite an advantage.  Spain and Portugal can decide who they face in the last 16 now.  Russia coming runner-up should mean those 2 chasing goal difference :)

3 minutes ago, BOF said:

I know it can't really be fixed.  But being the even lettered groups (B, D, F, H) is quite an advantage.  Spain and Portugal can decide who they face in the last 16 now.  Russia coming runner-up should mean those 2 chasing goal difference :)

Guess they could have an open "draw" like the CL (no risk teams from the same country facing each other :D ) but I imagine this would cause some logistic problems since the schedule is so tight.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Guess they could have an open "draw" like the CL (no risk teams from the same country facing each other :D ) but I imagine this would cause some logistic problems since the schedule is so tight.

Yeah but be probably still seedings with an open draw

mistake from the keeper for the first goal. Also thought the two cards for the Russian right back were a bit harsh considering that bentacur?  has had like 3/4 similar fouls and hasn't been booked iirc. 

You do have to say that Russia is finally playing a decent team and has been outplayed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

mistake from the keeper for the first goal. Also thought the two cards for the Russian right back were a bit harsh considering that bentacur?  has had like 3/4 similar fouls and hasn't been booked iirc. 

You do have to say that Russia is finally playing a decent team and has been outplayed. 

I have only seen highlights but looks like Russia have had chances too just missed them

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Akinfeev has always been a pile of shit in my eyes, poor for the first goal. Hopefully Uruguay get a couple more now. Cavani remains a sack of shit, terrible first touch in the first half.

i heard somewhere that he didn't make any saves in the two prior games and finally made one in this game. 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I have only seen highlights but looks like Russia have had chances too just missed them

it was pretty much even imo until the second goal then Uruguay seemed to just take over

34 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Akinfeev has always been a pile of shit in my eyes, poor for the first goal. Hopefully Uruguay get a couple more now. Cavani remains a sack of shit, terrible first touch in the first half.

Akinfeev & Enyeama. Two mythical goalkeepers with supposed great reputations that stink out every tournament.
Stipe Pletikosa was another one.

• Like 1

Â